Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ResellerGuru ... Scam .. Stay away

Well, I tried to sign up for their service, and here is what happened. I got a mail from them saying they need my credit card statements, scan of my card, and my drivers licence. This is fine if they are doing my billing, but it turns out they are using 2Checkout.com for processing their billing. Now the intresting part. I spoke with the 2Checkout.com's fraud department and they tell me that my order went thru fine, and they don't need this info, but they are not sure why resellerguru needs this information, as they don't process my credit card, and they should not have access to this information. This whole thing seems like some kind of scam on the part of resellerguru.com and now, am going to stay away from them.

Here is the email I received from them: Did you notice that they are giving me an option to either mail them the info, or fax it to the 2Checkout fraud department, but ommited to give that fax number. Hmm.. isn't this intresting.

When I spoke with my Bank (Bank of America) about this transaction, they clarified that they approved this transaction already, and they very strongly advised me against sending this information to the vendor. They said this smells like a id theft ring scam!

Am going to stay away from them and advise you to do the same.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello

We need confirmation that you use your own credit card.
    Please send signed last bank statement for credit card and your ID to cinek@resellerguru.com or take new order and fax it directly to 2checkout fraud department.

Regards,
    ResellerGuru Team

Where does it say you have to include a scan of your credit card? All it's saying is include your last bank statement and a copy of your ID.
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

They ask for that info, in a different email. Here you go. They wanna go shopping with my credit card?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello
    We are unable to verify your order without additional documents. Please provide us scan on your ID, last bank statement, front and back of your credit card.
    Regards,
    ResellerGuru Team
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Hi!
    I don't know how is the 2checkout chargeback policy, but it may be possible that resellerguru.com is trying to covers from chargebacks?

If you want to proceed your order, ask them if you can blur the credit card numbers, but the last 4.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

That does sound unusual as they are using a 3rd party processor so they really have no reason to hold this information, and it also beats some of the purpose of using a 3rd part processor on a client standpoint as I know sometimes I prefer to use PayPal/2CO since I can trust them, and I know the company cannot get into my account since its going through a 3rd party that can be trusted.

I am not familiar with ResellerGuru and their practices, but I would definitely be leery and personally, I would choose another hosting provider.
    Last edited by BrettB; 11-21-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

I dont' know why resellerguru will want to cover from chargeback using my credit card information. Basically what they are asking me is enough information about me and my credit cards so that they can go shopping for christmas. And 2Checkout STRONGLY advised me against sending this information to the resellerguru. The person I spoke with mentioned that this is against this policy and they dont' ask for this information unless their fraud prevention system flags a transaction as suspect. And my transaction went thru fine with them, and they even reverified the transaction for me. So what is reseller guru trying to do with my information?

Really don't know, but I think that a fax with your signature on it authorizing the transaction is one of the few ways that we have to cover our butts from chargebacks.
    However, don't know how does this apply to 2CO.
    What about if you send them your credit card but with the numbers blurred but the last 4?.
    If they ask you for all them, I would just cancel the order and move.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I am ready to provide them a faxed copy with my signature authorising them to charge my CC. But I would provide it to the payment processor, not resellerguru. And the payment processer tells me that they don't need this information. In fact it's against their policy to ask for for any information that has my full credit card number on it! So obviously something fishy going on with resellerguru.com. I wouldn't trust them with the information they are asking for.

Did anyone else face similar issues with them?

I'd stop using them asap, have you asked them for a full explanation?

I did, and they are very evasive. They'r trying to tell me the 2Checkout's fraud department has something to do with that. But my talking with the 2Checkout's customer service and their Fraud Dept has convinced me that the 2Checkout has nothing to do with this request for additional information. I am convinced the resellerguru is out to scam people. First they attract people by offering a too good to be true packages, then ask for this information, and soon the victims will start noticing unexplained charges on their credit cards. And who knows, the resellerguru guys may even steal my identity, by using the information on my drivers licence, like my mailing/billing addresses, my drivers licence number, my credit card number, by date of birth...isn't that enough info for them to steal my identity?

Quote Originally Posted by kiran4you
    And the payment processer tells me that they don't need this information. In fact it's against their policy to ask for for any information that has my full credit card number on it!
    You should definitly stay away of these guys.

Quote Originally Posted by kiran4you
    I am ready to provide them a faxed copy with my signature authorising them to charge my CC. But I would provide it to the payment processor, not resellerguru. And the payment processer tells me that they don't need this information. In fact it's against their policy to ask for for any information that has my full credit card number on it! So obviously something fishy going on with resellerguru.com. I wouldn't trust them with the information they are asking for.

Well I definitely would NOT do it and I would expect a full explanation from resellerguru. Usually they would ask for something like this from a declined card...not an approved one.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

Out of the hosts i've used in the past with a CC as well as anything else I may have purchased with a CC that went thru 2CO, I was never asked for this sort of intel, i'd suggest finding a new host asap tbh.
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

Here is mail I sent back to them....didn't hear back yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your reply. I spoke with the 2Checkout's fraud department as well as my bank. They both advised me against sending you the information you requested. In fact 2Checkout stated that it's against their policy to ask for anything that has my full credit card number.

A fuller explanation of why you need this info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've used 2Chechout many times, they are a pretty reputable company. Definitely the risk is on the end of resellerguru... If they can't give you a straight answer I'd take it to the ombudsman in your country as hosts shouldn't be allowed to pull these types of scams... And if they can give you a clear reason as to why they needed all this info, then they and you will have nothing to worry about I'm thinking you're not going to get a clear reason from them...

Yes, I see some evil reason behind their request for these documents. They'r not to be trusted. They haven't replied back to my email/ticket for a clear explanation about why they need this information from me, for an approved transaction.

I'd love to hear their reasoning for this one
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

hi,

if any one is using 2co, the slling party cant get any info form the buyer (card info) so your welcome to make a complain to 2co saying that this people are asking for your card info. as its saying in the TOS in 2co the seller cant ask for card info from the buyer.

never give out your card info unless 2co ask you to do so. even then send it only to 2co.

anyway we have used 2co for a long time, we never have to ask for a card info from the buyer, as 2co has its own system of approving transactions.

Resellerguru Requires Your Credit Card Number To Buy Hosting

Hi !!

I have also experienced the same with reseller guru. Once they have payment through 2CO or paypal and it goes through smoothly.

After that they will ask you which I received given below :

++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello

We are unable to verify your order without additional documents.
    Please provide us scan on your ID, last bank statement, front and back of
    your credit card.

Regards,
    ResellerGuru Team
    +++++++++++++++++++++

And if you do not provide these things as you can not and why should you provide them to a reseller hosting company who have no rights to ask for a scan of your creadit card.

If you dont give you get the following Email and your order is cancelled.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The following recurring order for ResellerGuru has been cancelled
    and will no longer bill.

Sale: 112233445566 [Order number Id is changed here]

If you have questions or wish to dispute this action please contact
    us at your earliest convenience.

Thank You,
    2Checkout.com Inc
    1785 O'Brien Road
    Columbus, OH 43228
    Contact us: http://www.2checkout.com/contactus.htm

Customer Service:
    1-877-294-0273 toll-free in U.S. & Canada
    1-614-921-2450 international callers
    0871-871-8283 local from UK & Northern Ireland

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also they do not have any Telephone Numbers where you can contact them or do not have any one online on support.

I feel that they should be able to explain when they are processing payment with 2CC or PayPal why should they need a credit card scan.
    :::: T R U S T D N S ::::

Yes, that's the exact same story with me. I am sure they'r upto nothing good.

if you have any prb with 2co, you can open a dispute with 2co ( https://support.2co.com/deskpro/newticket.php ) and include the 2co order number as well, and ask them why resellerguru is asking for your card info.

Thank you for this advise. I just did that. Lemme see what they come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUSTDNS
    Please provide us scan on your ID, last bank statement, front and back of
    your credit card.
    "Last bank statement" is weird.
    Noone would send a bank statement to buy a host.

Hint: 2CO dispute works better than PayPal dispute.
    PremiumReseller.com Hyper-V SSD VPS USA London Singapore
    Reseller Hosting Cpanel PURE SSD CloudLinux Softaculous
    Windows Reseller Asp.NET 4.5 MSSQL SmarterMail Enterprise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast