hosting at godaddy.com or elsewhere?

hello everyone.

i'm new at picking out hosts and i need some help. i am building a website for my friend who is a filmmaker and he wants to post clips on his site.

he'd like to make each clip 500mb or so - i told him that this was really, really big for streaming files - but he's looking for the most space and bandwidth he can get as he wants his clips to look the best possible...his budget is about $15 a month or so.

most likely he'll register his domain with godaddy.com. my IT guy scott, where i work uses them a lot, and i was checking out their hosting options and they seem to be pretty fair, offering a lot of space and bandwidth.

my IT guy mentioned the shared plan at crystal tech, but they only offer like 2000mb, so that would mean my friend would only be able to have a few clips on his site at a time...

has anyone had any experience with hosting at godaddy.com? any good? bad? good support? lots of downtime?

i'm trying to make it simple for my friend, so he can manage his site easily, and to me keeping everything under one roof so to speak might make it easier on him...i just don't want him to get screwed in the long run without enough space or bandwidth...

he doesn't think he'll get too many viewers on his site, so any host's base shared plan should work on that respect......

in summation: basically i'm looking for a stable host with a lot of space and bandwith for about $15 or less a month.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks!
    christopher

I know there is shared hosting at hostgator.com. I just signed up with them and I am thrilled with my service.

Check out there site and see if they might be able to have enough size for you.

GOOD LUCK!
    Sporty

I have not tried Godaddy web hosting but have a hundred domains with them. I regretted not signing up with them. If not I could have saved money on domain name. Since your friend's site is new I think you will have no problem with Godaddy. I have a friend who uses Godaddy and he has no problem with it.

Being here for more than one year, if someone asked about Godaddy, you will definitely hear someone will bash Godaddy web hosting. Now I understand why. There are many resellers here. So, not all post can be trusted. Take criticisms with a pinch of salt.

All you need to worry is about having enough space and bandwidth. Since your friend has a budget of $15 then why don't go for their $14.99/mo premium plan where you will get 200 GB diskspace and 2000GB bandwidth?

Oh wait a minute. Since I am looking for a new shared hosting myself to compliment my other VPS and shared host why not I sign up with Godaddy instead of Dreamhost? Good idea because i will get the chance to buy cheaper domains,

thanks koushibasaki!

i will have my friend set up a hosting plan with godaddy and for starters i think i'll tell him to try the 1 month contract, and if everything goes well we can renew for longer...

thank you for your advice!

christopher

as long as your site isnt mysql-intensive, godaddy is actually pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by cwiitala
    thanks koushibasaki!

i will have my friend set up a hosting plan with godaddy and for starters i think i'll tell him to try the 1 month contract, and if everything goes well we can renew for longer...

thank you for your advice!

christopher
    Let us know how it goes after the first month, should be interesting
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

I've had sites hosted at Go Daddy in the past with absolutely no issues. No down times to speak of, no email issues...just good service.

Just be sure to sign up for what package will suit your needs so you'll be satisfied.

I have heard a few people who have email issues with problems concerning receiving their messages.

Personally I think HOSTGATOR has great support, and worth the extra money.
    Thanx!

Joey

Ask and you shall know... :)

Quote Originally Posted by WebDivx
    as long as your site isnt mysql-intensive, godaddy is actually pretty good.
    WebDivx is right. For simple HTML-page hosting, GoDaddy is fine. If you need to host forums, shopping carts, and other database apps, you might be better off going with other companies specializing in web hosting.

Since you are going to stream 500MB video - I would suggest you ask GoDaddy (or any other hosts that you are considering) 1st before you sign up. This is because most shared hosting plans/hosts have restrictions on
    - individual file size - some set a limit on how big you can upload into their server.
    - streaming of video
    - types of video streaming file (real, flash, wmv, mov, etc)

I think it is quite reasonable to pay $15 for what you need, but as mentioned, do tell them before hand that you are :
    - going to host videos
    - that each of your video is 500MB
    - the type of video you need to stream.

Tell them these before hand and they'll tell you their restrictions and limits. This way you can avoid wasting time - signing up and changing hosts later.

Not all hosts support video streaming and not all hosts support all streaming file types.

You might want to post back/share your findings for all to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DeWebDude
    I have heard a few people who have email issues with problems concerning receiving their messages.

Personally I think HOSTGATOR has great support, and worth the extra money.
    isn't hostgator that has some problems with cpu usage limit?

godaddy is too slow... avoid IMHO.

Dreamhost is better, IMHO.

godaddy also has cpu usage limit. If you use too much CPU they will ask you to move to VPS. It isn't known what is too much CPU usage. At dreamhost it is 1 hour a day, and since they use very powerfull Opterons, they is much! And they are faster!

I have several accounts with godaddy

I have several accounts with godaddy and all but one works flawlessly. I do have one site that is mysql intensive and the load times are just horrendous, so I'm moving it. But for "normal" mysql sites (like phpbb) you should be fine as long as you don't have too many users.

As others have said, check on their limitations. You're going to be hogging a lot of bandwidth if you couple large files with many users. That could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ttechpt
    isn't hostgator that has some problems with cpu usage limit?
    Yes. They shut my site down because my site has a "spike usage". At first I thought mysql database has issued the site does not have that many hits. I hired someone to rebuild the database and requested the database to be enable. They shut it down again with the same reason. I finally gave up and shut down the site. After shutting the site down for 6 months (the site does not have any hit now), I requested to enable the database again after arguing with them why would I kept wasting money while they kept disable my database and I can not fix it unless I have it enabled. They finally agreed to re-enable. They site work fine without any problem. I guess it is the cpu usage.

Overall, Hostgator is a good & honest host.

CPU usage limit applies to all hosts, and this is not specific to Hostgator.

All host will take action if a site has "spike usage" or uses too much of CPU.

If a host does not take action, it is not doing its job in monitoring its servers and protecting its many other customers who is sharing the same server. So, in a way, when Hostgator detected your "spike usage" and shutdown your site, they have again proved that they are doing a good job monitoring the health of their servers and took proactive, prompt action... and not allow the problem to cause other sites to go down/slow down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by adamovic
    godaddy is too slow... avoid IMHO.

Dreamhost is better, IMHO.
    dreamhost? LOL

Ask many questions...

I would have to agree that the best course of action would be to talk to whichever prospective host you are leaning towards about your needs (both now and future) and see what will work out the best for you.

Go Daddy is a good host. No problems there. They do an admirable job and I've had no issues to date with them either.

Another good host out there to consider would be Lunarpages. I've been with them for around 3 years now +/- with no issues either.

Best advice to be given here so far (seeing all the affiliates here) would be to take any advice with a grain of salt and to check out any potential host yourself to make sure there will be a good fit.