Beware of e-mails asking for company information posing as a potential customer

Please beware of e-mails that are going out to service providers asking for seemingly harmless information about your company size, capacity, ability to provision services that appear "generic" in nature yet customized to your company.

These requests will generally say that they're sending the same request out to a number of other companies but do not specify exactally what they're wanting to purchase.

There is a 99%+ chance that these are not potential customers, rather marketing firms attempting to datamine for the purpose of solicitation or selling semi-privileged information to your competitors.

Well then.. certainly new information, thanks.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

Thanks for the heads up! If I'm not mistaken, there was a thread started here recently regarding e-mail's of this nature, however most of them were coming from one specific individual. Perhaps you could post the name of the individual in the mail header, of who is sending these e-mail's? I would say that would be very useful to have .

Thanks for the info! How were you alerted to this?
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

We've seen such mails from "John Webber" and a few others, answered them like we would any other query. Sometimes it's just hosting directories collecting information.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

We have had a few from "Tommy" "John Webber" and a few others.

Thanks for the heads up.
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

yeh same i was going through the in boxes of a hosting company i just acquired a few weeks back i found several like that. There blocked by my spam system now

would it be possible to show us the email here? or a sample so that we'd know how it looks lik
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

I've seen many of those types of emails as well. It is a good idea to make sure your staff has a generic response when someone requests too much technical or corporate information. Some requests are harmless and are just paranoid customers with nothing better to do, but some people do indeed ask ridiculously specific questions that have nothing to do with the hosting.

For everyone's referece:

Hello,

I am interested in your services and I have some questions.
    Please give me clear and informative answers and I will register 4 accounts, because my current host is down and I need to move everything fast.

1. What can you tell me about your company history? How many years you are in business and how many customers you have?
    2. What moneyback guarantee you offer? When it applies? I mean what should happen so I could request refund? (for example if server down for XX hours)
    3. What types of support do you offer? What is your support response time and how many staff members you have?
    4. Do you offer any discounts for yearly payments? Is there any bonus features I can get?
    5. What is your average uptime and can you issue partial refund if server will be down?
    6. Can I host multiple domains on 1 account (add-on domains) and how many domains can I park?
    7. Do you have reseller hosting packages? If so - how many domains can I host, can you setup private name servers.
    8. How many email boxes I can create, is there any attachment size limitation?
    9. Account Upgrades. Is there any fee for upgrades? What is the cost of additional resources?
    10. What else can you tell me about your company and services? Why should I join you?

I am very sorry for so much questions,
    but we have terrible experience with current company and we are looking to purchase 4 different accounts from you guys.

John Webber
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]

That is a very interesting e-mail. But after reading it, aren't all of these questions you would answer for potential customers anyway? In fact, if I had a hosting company, all of this information would probably be available in various parts of the website.

I would give more generic responses (perhaps "See the About Us page, etc) for questions: 1, 5, 19.

I understand that there's a potential for them gleaning some piece of information from your answers, but customers in general are putting lots more on the line (for example, a credit card number) and are going to occasionally ask tough questions.

I guess the best way to get around that is to encourage your representatives to provide information based on FAQs, and then be sure to keep your FAQ up to date but containing only information you feel is not confidential.

Thats the thing, for any good company this information is right on the website which makes it rather obvious the mail has been sent pointlessly.

I'm not quite understanding the motives behind this and how it could cause problems for the host. I did get a few of those, from John Webber, and quickly realized it was suspicious...but I'm still not getting it. Can someone explain?

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Thanks for the heads up!
    InnoHosting, Performance Web Hosting || US: 1-888-522-INNO UK: 0800 612 8075
    Web Hosting - Virtual Servers - Managed Servers - Application Hosting
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS & Preloaded KB | SSL | activGuard | End User Support
    LiteSpeed / CloudLinux / Idera Backups / True 24x7 Support / 10+ Years in Business

We get them regularly. And know that some of our "competitors" employ the "mystery shopper" method to try and get details, prices, nda's etc out of people.

A recent one even went as far as to say "we've also been talking to xyz for this servce, why should I go with you instead" and it was from an email address of xyz !
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I long deleted the e-mail that I received but it was slightly diffrent. It asked for a lot of information about the size of our company, datacenters, and inquired about our outside relationships.

Same concept though.

Quote Originally Posted by othellotech
    We get them regularly. And know that some of our "competitors" employ the "mystery shopper" method to try and get details, prices, nda's etc out of people.

A recent one even went as far as to say "we've also been talking to xyz for this servce, why should I go with you instead" and it was from an email address of xyz !
    That's unbelievable! Everyone has a scheme.