Dual Opteron versus Dual Intel Xeon

for a server running mainley MySql database what server will be better between these 2 options:

AMD Dual Opteron 246
    2GB RAM
    1 x 73GB SCSI

OR

2 x 2.8GHz Intel XEON
    2GBMB RAM
    1 x 73GB SCSI HDD

Opteron all the way, and im sure if you made some searchs you';ll find tons of threads about how much Opteron rocks

I didnt try the Xeon, but I did read LOTS of benchamrk test 2-3 years ago on which especially the MySQL 64 bit DBs won all the way on the Opterons.

I am currently running only Opteron systems, so sorry I am biased ;-)

But just one thing independent from the system architecture. Depending on how big your DBs are and what the machine is actually running for services you might want to consider several HDDs or using in-memory tables for performance reasons.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

I've had a little experience with both and I can say Opterons perform way better.
    You can also ask Jag (from JaguarPC) of what he uses
    Got Fused?

Definitely Opteron.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Cool

Opterons...2 choices as of today. Buy current cheaper designs/slots or buy latest dual 64 bit with new socket boards that will take quad cores next year
    Only applies if you are buying but the latest top-end Opterons/motherboards have the socket design... if you wanted to spend another small fortune you could upgrade to the Quads next spring (and higher RAM capacity)
    That's why there's such great deals on other Opterons now, especially fast single cores, because the quads are coming and will be true quad core processors, not dual duals mounted on a single die (i.e. Intel design) Plus the die-hard Intel fans are now have a processor to keep up with Opterons (until spring) so all processor prices are lower except for either company's newest "top of the line".

Either way Operons are great, older ones are still great and much cheaper right now, high end will let you have 32 cores and 128 GB of ram maybe more (if you want monsters) next spring.
    Current "off the shelf" boards will upgrade to dual (8 cores) or quad-quads (16 cores) and a massive chunk of RAM. The Intel architecture is maxed out at 2 quads if I am not mistaken (and in geneal Intels run MUCH hotter across all comparable models)
    But even "leased" I saw a GREAT deal on a dual Opteron 64 single core that would have been a "top end" screamer ~a year ago for a bit over $100 a mo... same company had dual-duals well equipped ~$229... so the deals are out there now. (comparable current latest tech ~$329...not worth it if you aren't sure why you really need the extra tech)
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

You want more proof brucee ?
    Got Fused?

Xeon for sure, if the comparison is done today.

There are actually different classes of Xeons out there, based on different processor architectures. The old one, based on NetBurst (i.e. Pentium 4), is slower than Opeteron and use way too much power. The newer one, code-named Woodcrest based on Intel's Core2 architecture, is much faster and efficient, even so than Opeteron.

With our internal testing, a Dell PowerEdge 2950 with 2x 3Ghz Woodcrest (total 4 cores) is almost twice as fast as an older PowerEdge 2850 with 2x 3.6Ghz NetBurst (total 4 cores + 4 HT).

Not all Xeons are the same. Go for Xeon Woodcrest. Then Opteron. Then Xeon with NetBurst.

Scott

Personally I like both, in my opinion it really depends on the speeds and the cache. Both of the processors are good, and if they have the same specs I am sure that the opeteron would be the way to go.
    DJ Anderson
    Need Hosting?
    www.techwebhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    (and in geneal Intels run MUCH hotter across all comparable models)
    What are you talking about?

I'd love to know where members of WHT came to this ridiculous conclusion that Intels run hotter, it is very much the complete opposite plus times'd by ten.

Try it yourself, take an AMD box and an Intel box, rip off the CPU fan and heatsink and see what happens

Just because one does thermal control better than the other, doesn't mean it doesn't run hotter. Xeons based on the old design, do run hotter than Opterons of equivelant speed - you only have to look at the TDP numbers (and then drop the AMD numbers by a bit, because AMD AFAIK report the max, unlike Intel who quote a "design window"). Now the new Xeon Woodcrests, are a different matter.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by brucee
    for a server running mainley MySql database what server will be better between these 2 options:
    AMD Dual Opteron 246
    2GB RAM
    1 x 73GB SCSI
    OR
    2 x 2.8GHz Intel XEON
    2GBMB RAM
    1 x 73GB SCSI HDD
    This was the OP. In this comparison it seems (IMHO) the main obvious difference is the Opterons are 64 bit.
    BUT:
    To the OP this is where everything always gets very tricky!
    1. You didn't give prices?
    2. Both have a variety of models within the models, lots of 246's and 2.8 Xeons.
    3. So depending on choices there one may be hotter than the other (could be either)
    4. One may have a faster bus.
    5. It appears some Intels have "net burst" all 246's are HT
    6. What kind/speed of RAM?
    See, this is where nobody can just say #1 or #2. It depends on the motherboards, bus speeds, each chip has "cooler & hotter" versions for temperature so you could have equals or either could be cooler depending on the model. Is the model optimal for the type/speed RAM and are the motherboards correctly mated to get the most out of both? Either one on a bad motherboard would be worse than the other on the "right" board/chipset.

And then, as if all that wasn't enough, you didn't say what you meant by "better"

So if you know all the above factors then you have to know which is important or "better" for you. And if you are like most of us it would come to some trade-off between overall performance vs. price = value per dollar.
    But maybe not. If to you it all about performance then the criteria is different. Like someone here always says says about hosts (to paraphrase) "there is no best server, only the server that's best for you.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well