Tasmania, Australia

Unhappy The great Thorpedo retires!

Aussie swimming legend has thrown in the "towel"
    Ian Thorpe has announced his retirement from swimming, citing a lack of balance in his life as the reason for his decision.

Thorpe walks away from the sport as Australia's most successful Olympian, with five gold medals, three silver and one bronze from the 2000 and 2004 Games in Sydney and Athens.

"I have reached all the dizzying heights of this sport," Thorpe said.

"I've also had setbacks.

"I've been sick, I've had injuries."

Thorpe, who has 13 world championship medals in addition to his Olympic medals, has not competed at a major international meet since the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.

He was ruled out of Australia's team for the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in March because of glandular fever, and he has since struggled to shake off the energy-sapping illness.

Thorpe subsequently also broke a bone in his right hand in a bathroom accident at home.

The swimmer said he started to reconsider his future during his recent three-month training sojourn with Milton Nelms in Los Angeles.,...-23218,00.html

Not bad being able to retire at 24, but over 10 years doing the same thing day in day out, must have taken its toll.

On ya Thorpey, you did us all proud for years!
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 11-21-2006 at 07:12 AM.

Yeah, it was bound to happen. His best swimming was behind him, and I imagine he lost the will to keep going, if he couldn't maintain that level. Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!