Step by step RAQ550 Guide?

Hey Guys,

I just got given 3 Cobalt RaQ 550's, only catch was they had no HDD's in them.

Problem, everything i've tried won't work. Does anyone have a link to a guide or can anyone supply me with a step by step how to, to get one of these things up and running?

I have got some seagate 40GB drives that fit in the racks fine, i have tried everything from Rackstar to CentOS/Bluequartz to get these things up and running but everything i do results in a Kernel Panic being displayed on the rack LCD.

I need a step by step "this is how to get it working" guide. Don't omit even the tiniest detail. thanks.

XFS Filesystem

Ok, so heres my output from the serial cable - do these racks support XFS?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    XFS: SB read failed
    I/O error in filesystem ("md(9,1)") meta-data dev 0x901 block 0x0
    ("xfs_readsb") error 5 buf count 512
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 09:01
    <6>disabling network interfaces.
    Rebooting in 5 seconds..waiting for devices to flush..........done
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If so, what filesystem should i use?

There are several things that might be wrong:

1) Raq550s use EXT3 filesystem, not XFS. This is most likely to be your problem.

2) In order to install CentOS+BlueQuartz on a Raq, you need to have an up-to-date ROM. I was under the impression that all the 550s had them, but might be wrong (I don't have any 550s). So, check to ROM version (it gets printed out during the first part of the boot sequence). The latest and best ROM is cobalt-2.10.3-ext3-2M-flat.rom but bear in mind that, while you can install a ROM over the serial port, it is much easier doing it from a running system. You may want to first install the original 550 OS, update the ROM, then reinstall CentOS+BQ;

3) The "md" disk tpe indicates you have a RAID setup -- assume this was wahat you intended. Be sure your installer knows this, and there is a possibility that you have a bad block on the primary disk -- you might try to swap them and reinstall;

4) Since you are ighly motivated to get these working, you might want to consider paying for the SrongBolt installer -- it's about US$50 and seems to work very well. It works just like the original 550 restore disk. I am not affiliated with them but have used it on a Raq4 and had a good experience. Find it at www.osoffice.co.uk;

Good luck!

RaQ550 Restore Process How To

1) Raq550s use EXT3 filesystem, not XFS. This is most likely to be your problem.
    Nope, Not the case. The 550 os uses xfs.

To answer your first question...

goto ftp://ftp.cobalt.sun.com/pub/iso/ and download the restore cd.
    ftp://ftp.cobalt.sun.com/pub/iso/259...-RaQ550.iso.gz

Gunzip it and make a cd... you can then follow the standard restore process and you should be up in about 20 minutes... There will most likley be updates you need to do when your done... just don't do the last sendmail update. it's broke.

This is my restore how-to
    http://www.zeffie.com/cobalt_restore_cd.html

I'm going to have to make a new sendmail update for the 550 I guess....

DHCP on 2nd eth interface?

Cool, thx for the help guys i eventually got them up an running using the OS restore, now it works but is there a way to set the 2nd eth interface to accept an IP address via DHCP or is it static all the way?

thx.

Never tried it but you can edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file by hand it I'm sure it could do it! But I never tried

Two points:

* You will be happier in the long run if you now upgrade your OS to CentOS+BlueQuartz, as these are being actively maintained, whereas the 550 OS is not;

* For DHCP, look at dhclient(8), dhclient.conf(5), and related information. The 550 manual says:
    Code:
    When the Cobalt RaQ is powering up, it checks to see whether a
    DHCP server is present on the network. If there’s a functioning
    DHCP server that’s set up to serve leased IP addresses, then the
    Cobalt RaQ configures itself automatically. If the network
    information can be configured automatically, then the LCD
    displays the Cobalt RaQ’s assigned IP Address upon completion
    of the boot process.
    but that may only apply to the primary interface.

Dhcp

It seems the RaQ550 won't accept IP addresses on any Interface via DHCP, even when its booting. I tried both but it just won't do it.

I wanted to set 1 of the racks up as a dedicated Firewall/router between the internet and my own network, i.e Cable Modem directly into ETH1 and the Local LAN on ETH0, probelm is, without a router inbetween the cable modem and ETH1 it won't take the IP address given by the modem, and it seems the cable modem i have (Motorola SB5100) won't work if i set the IP on the raq inteface statically.

so i may do the ROM upgrade and install CentOS if this will allow DHCP on any of the eth interfaces.

so i may do the ROM upgrade and install CentOS if this will allow DHCP on any of the eth interfaces.
    not at all. you would have the same networking files and gui controlling them. there is no diffrence at all. Well except for the lack of support for stongbolt.

What you do is edit the file I mentioned by hand and add a few things like...
    (like I'm gong to find a server on dhcp )

Basicly you just add
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    and clean out the static related info.

You can't use the gui to do this and the gui can and will overwite your work when it wants to... so make a copy for later!

and the ROM upgrade is looking good for all versions except the Mips... but I have not tested the 550, Qube3 or the XTR's... only the RaQ3, RaQ4x units... and the Qube3 os will run on it...

ahh :)

nice one! that works, and i also figured out how to force my modem to take a static IP that i assign to the device its connected to. so it now works both ways

Good to know it worked out for you!

Have Fun!

Something weird...

I get this on the console output at the end of booting:

Code:
    Starting zzzDELETE_MEzzz mount: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = No route to host
    /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S98zzzDELETE_MEzzz: /mnt/bto-sync/scripts/run_tests: No such file or directory
    And also "MFG HOOK FAILED!" shows on the LCD during the boot process.

But other than that everything seems to operate fine. any ideas?

yep.. just
    rm /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S98zzzDELETE_MEzzz

As I recall at the moment it's part of the os restore process and nobody ever deleted it... I think an update got it somewhere too???