do all hostnames and nameservers use the same domain on the same server???

Im currently designing a client management system and have a question.

Does it every occure that a nameserver domain is different than the same servers hostname domain?

Im asking because when creating a new domain account the admin has the option of entering the servers:

domain = (,
    hostname prefix = (server1),
    nameserver prefix's = (ns1/ns2)

If some nameserver domains are different from the hostname domain then i will have the option to enter full hostname and nameservers otherwise i will just allow the admin to enter the prefix' for the hostname and nameservers.

MaxieHost - The 'Maximum' Hosting Experience
    Contact Us -

Tokyo / Japan

I hope I do understand you correctly that what you are asking is "if you can use the nameservers from different domain name" ?

Yes you can do that. As you pointed out above you can use and as name servers f.e. for

Please post again in case I missunderstood you.

Best regards
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Bay Area
    Its very simple. Say there is host They setup and

The website of this host ( will use these nameservers, and thus the domain will be the same.

However, for all clients that have a domain with this host, the nameserver domain will be different. A client with domain will still need to use the ns1/ nameservers

Many still do..but it's not hard to setup the nameservers so they can allow for..say..resellers to use the same nameservers. If Joe signs up for a reseller account..let's say is his domain..he has to setup with is registrar to ahve a ns1 and These records point to the hosts nameserver's ips and it seems (to the novice) that joe has a his own server. The truth's easy to find out that Joe has a reseller account on another host.

Many people lump both nameservers on the same physical server. This is a very, very big mistake. If you don't have two dedicateds...get a vps elsewhere from a decent host to provide secondary's much safer and better that way.

Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer