Beware: Cpanel Suspend feature

To all cpanel hosts, if you tend to use the suspend button alot, keep in mind that even though you think you just cut off all supply to your customer, think again. Your doing nothing more then change their homepage and maybe cutting off their cpanel access.

Suspending an account with Cpanel does NOT suspend their FTP access, so they can freely go into their FTP and delete anything or add anything they want, even use that FTP account to suck your bandwidth dry, say for WAREZ etc...I doubt cpanel will monitor bandwidth usage of a suspended acct, I may be wrong.

None the less, we use the feature alot, to suspend accts for billing, illegal content etc....no use in even having a suspend feature when it actually just changes their home page from "Welcome to JKFJKD" to "Your account is suspended"

This bug or non-enhancement needs to be fixed promptly, i urge you to contact your distribtor or Darkorb to fix this asap

When I use the "suspend" feature the user's password is changed which blocks their access to email and ftp. I know it works because I see their ftp access attempts in the servers logs with the error message "USER username (Login failed): Incorrect password."

hmm

you might want to check your cpanel install. It works fine on mine, I just tried it to make sure on a little non profit site I run and own, it does suspend the password for FTP acccess. In fact I had to resync FTP to be able to log back in once I unsuspended it.

i tired it on two servers, even though the password was "changed" they were allowed access.

Keep in mind these were from two separate installs, the old type install of cpanel and new type

the only way you will really know is to suspend your own primary account or a test acct.

We have over 10 servers, i tired 2 so far, i can try more, but to me, 2 is enough to warrent a serious bug

Ok

I tried again and it still works over here. I suspended two accounts and could not open an FTP session with either with their normal passwords.

Monte

i wonder then if my /scripts folder is not getting synced.

That is a real

possiblity try running /scripts/upcp on one of the servers and see if it starts working for you.

I just ran it 2 weeks ago so maybe that is why mine is working.

I reported this a while back in a similar situation. When an account goes over its bandwidth allocation, you'd think Cpanel cuts access to the entire site completely right? NOT!

I had this guy serving tons of warez files. Cpanel suspended the site automatically for bandwidth over-usage. But I noticed the usage was like 15GB when they were only allowed 3GBs. A couple of hours later it was up to 20GBs. So I investigated it further and found that this guy was posting zip files on some message board. I tried visiting it and clicking on the link. Guess what? It let me download the file!

This is scarey.

Why the heck should a license be paid for this?

This needs fixed now.