Why is my domain name on spam list?

I just type in my domain name in google to see how many hits would come up with my domain name words and there I found out that my domain name is listed in spam list at http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/unwelcome-v.html with my name and my old address. They are right because I also found only google a list of emails that have my domain name as email and they were sent out after I got the domain name. It was listed on the website that my domain name would not be taken off until it was proved I am no longer the owner of the domain name.

I got the domain name in August 2002 from NamesBeyond.Com
    through Namewinner.com. I transfered the domain to godaddy.com in August 2003. Those email was sent out between November 2002 through August 2003. How did that happen? How can I prove that I was not the one who sent out those emails? Thanks.

Come to think of it, I don't know what month in 2002 that I got the domain. That is what it listed in whois record.

It is not clear from site if the spam originated from your site's IP or if someone just forged headers with your address. I get a lot of bounced spam because a spammer has forged headers with my email address yet they do not originate from my IP.

The other possibility is that you have a hacked email script on your domain. Do you have PhpBB or any other application or forum software that can send emails?

That domain name has been parked ever since I acquired it. I have never used it for anything yet.

The Admin of that blocklist dosent have a clue thats why your listed.

A spammer probably spoofed (faked) the from address on their emails so it looks like it came from you.

Unfortunatly there is nothing you can do unless he/she/it decides to cooperate.

Its a shame organizations hire idiots instead of just sticking to professional blacklists like spamhaus!
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I would take no notice whatsoever of this Rhyolite list. Clearly a clueless amateur who doesn't know the first thing about how spammers work. Considering his domain was registered in 1991 one would have thought he knows better.

As I'm sure most of us know, spammers forge "from" addresses. The one thing you can generally be sure of with 99% of spam is that it did NOT come from the address in the "from" line.

Moreover spammers now seem to do entire spam runs using random fictitious "from" addresses at just one domain - anything from aaa-at-domain to zzz-at-domain with every conceivable random letter combination in between. Two of my domains got targeted in this way recently - tons and tons of spam going out purportedly coming from those two domains. In fact I was surprised NOT to see either of those domains on the Rhyolite web site.

The list contains some highly respectable domains such as lloyds.com and paypal.com - baxao, you're in good company!

Just ignore this rubbish and stop fretting. Someone will have forged your domain in their "from" line, as spammers do. Nothing you can do about it. Just ignore rhyolite.com. They don't know what they're talking about.

Dan541, you said everything I wanted to say but said it a lot better and a lot more concisely! Your post wasn't there when I started mine.

You can be proactive by adding an SPF filter to your domain in your DNS records. I found a good site to help you out with this is www.openspf.org. Personally, for all my domains which don't send mail I go to the maximum by adding this TXT record to each domains DNS

TXT v=spf1 ~all

The idea is that the recipient of the email check the domain to see if it is permissable to send the email it received. When it finds out it's not permitted, it just junks the email. That way you get on nobody's list.
    Signature Under Construction.

Quote Originally Posted by stu2
    That way you get on nobody's list.
    Except of on amateurs ones like the OP quoted.

I just want to repeat my mantra that I should put in my sig: domain can't be blacklisted; IP can.
    Respect My Authoritah! - Eric Cartman (a friend of mine).