Shared Hosting vs VPS

I'm looking for a high uptime (99.9-100%) hosting solution with some features not commonly available at shared hosting, however, I have some questions.

Will performance of a VPS be worse then a shared hosting account, assuming both are at an acceptable load (Ex: Not oversold or over utilized)

Will most hosts provide private nameservers upon request on a shared account, along with a static IP address?

I do not need the resources a VPS provides, I just need a reliable hosting solution that I know will be secure (In the case of a VPS, I'll be able to secure the virtual system myself) and provides private nameservers and static IP addresses.

So its come down to: VPS? Shared? Reseller?

What are your recommendations?

Hi,

Well for a start I wouldn't think that any host will give you private DNS on just a shared account, so you would need a reseller account for that.

I guess it all depends on how much work you want to do, with a VPS you have the task of getting it configured properly, where as with a Reseller account the servers are already up and running and fully functional.

I would think that any decent hosts servers are all secure, so that wouldn't be a problem, neither should 99.9% uptime.

However, it all boils down to what site you want hosting.. I mean, what are your needs ?

www.NT-Hosts.net
    Shared Hosting - Reseller - Email Hosting - Forum Hosting - Linux server admins
    Phone: 07092898178 - Fax: 07092898179 - Email:Sales@NT-Hosts.net

What is your budget for this request?
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

After searching around a bit, it seems most VPS / Resellers are in my price range ($80 or less per month, cheaper if at all possible)

To start, I need very little space and bandwidth (Less then 1gb space, less then 20gb bandwidth [with possibility to upgrade]) Reliablility and uptime are very important to me, thats all I really care about. The sites will be database driven, although they are optimized and don't use much resource wise.

Need to know budget as mentioned previously and how much traffic and disk space do you anticipate to use in the first six months or year
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

You should have no problem..... with this budget, you should be able to do a VPS... You have to go with a fully managed VPS server. If possible go with semi dedicated
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAN, or even across the internet - Many customer call it RSync for Windows

Quote Originally Posted by ITAhmed
    You should have no problem..... with this budget, you should be able to do a VPS... You have to go with a fully managed VPS server. If possible go with semi dedicated
    I agree with Ahmed. I'm not quite sure what your budget is (I'm not sure if you mentioned it above) but if it allows (and uptime is a major issue), I'd say that a semi dedicated managed server would be a good solution for you.
    XeHost.net - Hosting websites since 1999!
    Shared Hosting, Cloud Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, and Dedicated Servers
    End-User Support, WHMCS, and WHMReseller Available on Reseller Plans!
    Follow us on Twitter - new special every Sunday! @XeHost

Personally, I think getting a reseller account from a reliable web host is the best option.

A VPS provides you with a private space with its own slice of the CPU and everything else on the server but the good news is that you are guaranteed that resources. However on a shared hosting plan, you do not get that guarantee, you can use anywhere between all of the system resources or none. At times in a lightly utilized server, with the shared hosting account you may actually perform faster and better than the VPS (assuming it is a lightly utilized but high end server).

There is the good and bad for each plan.

It is important to look for a web host who is knowledgeable. In this time and age, anyone with a couple of hundreds of dollars to spare can get a dedicated server with a control panel and proclaim he is a web host. I've seen time and again here and elsewhere that from some people supposedly running their own web host asking seemingly basic questions that anyone should know. Make sure you check the reputation of the web host and the people running it, send them your pre-sales questions and see how knowledgeable they are.

I have moved from a Linux based dedicated server to a reseller account and a shared account and have never been happier because they are managed by people who knows what they are doing. I have not seen any load or reliability issues coming into questions as yet.
    Last edited by eddy2099; 11-21-2006 at 12:29 AM.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Personally, I think getting a reseller account from a reliable web host is the best option.
    I would expand that to shared hosting in general, simply because there are great hosts out there that don't provide reseller hosting, but provide excellent shared hosting.

That being said, my main suggestion is to not skimp on the budget, or go for hosting with huge space/data transfer allocations that you don't actually need. You seem to be in an excellent position to buy high end hosting, and enjoy it fully.

Does anyone have any recommendations of providers that meet my requirements? (VPS, Shared or Reseller)

Tee,

Check the offers section. Also, I would like to echo the sentiment on this thread: if you want to focus on your site, and not worry about the server, get a Shared account, that's what they are for. VPS is only useful if you need root/administrator rights. A properly engineered and managed shared account will trump a VPS in cost/benefit/performance ratio any day of the week.

Kind Regards,