Is Colocation Better or Renting out Servers Better

Hello,
    I have been with LT for about 4 months i think and have paid already over 700 Bucks or something, and since i plan to be around for quite some time, i dont know if i should continue to rent out server or get my own big beast and get it collocated.

So all the folks out there who are doing collocation can you tell me good providers for server parts and servers and good dc's with suitable prices. Also would sticking to renting out server would be better or collocation would be suitable?

Cheers
    Last edited by Energizer Bunny; 11-20-2006 at 02:55 PM.

This article might be informative:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...9r02.asp&guid=

Blah... they don't show you the full article if you are linking from an external site or not-registered.

However, apparently Google links don't have the registration limitation..

Go to Google search for "Leasing vs purchasing computer"
    and select the 3rd article from SmartComputing.

PC Today, or Computer Power User magazine, you must be a paid subscriber to one of these publications. .

As edited in... Google gets you around that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_M
    Once you go colo, you are totally responsible for all hardware issues. So if you have a hd or ram failure, you will need to have spairs in the dc for the techs to swap out for you.

Yes, thats true hardware failures are your headache but how often do harwares fail though, if you invest in the right stuff ?

Yes Chris it doesnt hurt to spend extra 500$ to have spare backup ready, and i found this unmetered deal for only 199$ for colocation, is that real or some gimmick ?

http://www.fdcservers.net/colocation.html

???

From looking at the TOS, it appears that it is shared bandwidth. I wouldnt say it was a gimmick.

Each server is connected via private (non-shared) 100Mbit port to our 20Gbit backbone which is shared by all servers that have subscribed to unmetered service plan. The bandwidth is NOT dedicated.
    Servers on 100Mbit unmetered plan can expect average 5000GB-9000GB/monthly throughput on outbound transfer (from the server to the internet) and up to 30TB/monthly throughput on inbound transfer (from the internet to the server)

While i was clicking around the http://www.fdcservers.net/colocation.html site, it seems that it hasn't been updated for a long time, like circa 2004? I went to their schedule a tour and the only date there is 2004. Also the last time i checked the % sign goes after the number not before. I wouldn't true them with my business if i were you.
    Plutomic Hosting
    Empowering Your Web Ventures
    In Business Since 2005
    Specializing in Web Hosting, VPS, Managed Dedicated Servers and Managed Colocation

FDC is a big company, they just havent updated the site recently. They do most of their business through their forums.

I personally wouldn't trust FDC with my own hardware or even a dedicated server. Do a search here for a little more about them.

Colocation is only really better when you are going to be using enough bandwidth or colocating enough high spec servers to same money. For example, lets say I have 3 servers at LayeredTech, two LAMP's and a backup box. Now I have to pay for bandwidth between the LAMP's and backup box, but if I were to colo those servers, I could potentially save bandwidth costs as all bandwidth under the switch (between the LAMP's and backup) would be effectively free. Also, lets say you buy a 1/4 rack and 3 high powered servers. If you add another server 3 months later (lets say a backup box, or database server), then you are really only paying the one time price to build that server (unless it uses a lot of bandwidth, in which case you'll pay a bit more in bandwidth costs).

Colocation is no little step. You need to have remote hands contacts, a switch, a PDU, the server hardware, and a reputable datacenter that you can trust to not steal your equipment. For colocation, it's probably better to pay a bit more to go with somebody trustworthy than to go with somebody shady.

Alex

For example, lets say I have 3 servers at LayeredTech, two LAMP's and a backup box. Now I have to pay for bandwidth between the LAMP's and backup box, but if I were to colo those servers, I could potentially save bandwidth costs as all bandwidth under the switch (between the LAMP's and backup) would be effectively free.
    LT offers a private switch now (for dedicated servers), so that can't really be seen as an incentive in that scenario
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    LT offers a private switch now (for dedicated servers), so that can't really be seen as an incentive in that scenario
    Yes, but last I checked it was a lot more expensive than colocating and buying your own switch.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    Yes, but last I checked it was a lot more expensive than colocating and buying your own switch.

Alex
    $10/mo / switch = expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    $10/mo / switch = expensive?
    IIRC that's per port on the switch, and you need to purchase a port for each server (and each server that you may want to connect in the future).

Alex

Colocation is no little step. You need to have remote hands contacts, a switch, a PDU, the server hardware, and a reputable datacenter that you can trust to not steal your equipment.

Alex
    Wow can DC do that and steal ur equipment , isnt the hardware insured by them and in case of theft they responsible to replace the same at their own cost?

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Wow can DC do that and steal ur equipment , isnt the hardware insured by them and in case of theft they responsible to replace the same at their own cost?
    When it comes to co-location, you are generally required to keep your own insurance. Most colo contracts that I have seen, even for individual 1U servers, require at least $1 million of general liability insurance.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    There have been numerous cases of the DC holding customer equipment for one reason or another. It's a bad situation to be in, but can be averted by doing research on your DC and always paying your bills.

Alex

IIRC that's per port on the switch, and you need to purchase a port for each server (and each server that you may want to connect in the future).

Alex
    Ouch...they should make that a little more clear on the order form IMHO.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

The main questions you will have to consider are:

1) Which financial option gives me what I need ?

2) Who is going to exchange failed parts under what conditions (incl. warranty considerations) ?

3) Case 1: Assuming the DC would shut down tomorrow and all HW would not be accessable. what would be my loss ? What would be my backup plan ?

f.e I still have some HDD in a server case in NY(Equinix) where I havent received a single reply from the service provider (Hudson Digital)at least for 3 months. I doubt that I will ever see them again.

A lease contract can buy you peace of mind if done correctly, but it can also be a major pain if you dont know what to watch out for.

The article Lightwave pointed to above is a very nice read. For those that could not read it try the google cache link within the search results. ;-)
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 11-20-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Colocation except.

I suggestion colocation in almost all aspects if you are not just going to use a server for 90 days or so. Some basic steps to make certain that your colocation is successful.

1. Buy quality gear. If it is mission critical spend the extra money and purchase from a national vendor like IBM, HP or Dell.
    2. Spend the extra money for the 4 hour response on warranty.
    3. Have a plan for growth with your collocation company, do not just go with the cheapest, or most closest.
    4. Watch the remote hands charges, there is more than one collocation company that will eat your lunch on the remote hands.
    5. Tour the facility, or have someone local tour the facility if you are not close. In that tour ask to see the power, hvac, fiber distribution, physical security.
    6. Talk to the technicians and see what management is like.
    7. Decide what you want in a collocation facility, there are some facilities that offer no remote hands and only just ping and power.
    8. Ask questions like how often they run their generators, there are facilities that will allow you to see a live test and have them regularly scheduled while there are others that will not even allow the generator maintenance crew to start the generators and put them on a live load.
    9. See how flexible the management of the facility is.
    10. Beware of the local natural disaster dangers of a facility, but do not go overboard on it, all facilities have these some may just be a "hot button" currently.

The above is only a start, but this will give you an idea. Always evaluate everything before you sign that contract.

Cheers,

Linn
    Linn Boyd