Dot5hosting: big mistake!!!

That's right, and I've learned my lession. It brought me here and I kindda found out more how sucky they are from other posts.

I've been with them for just 3 months, and already dealt with 3rd time that my databases got screwed up. On the second time, I had to restore the databases by mysefl. This time, my db have been down for over a week!!! All my db basically gone as well as all the accounts. When I contacted them via live chat, the conversations always end up with "please email to support@..." together asking for another few hours, but these "few hours" have been adding up to 10 days with no solution!!!.

After over a week I've been pushing them to fix the issue via emails, they don't seem to be able to do the job with their poor technical skills... and it's been 3 days without response since I sent my last support ticket

I've read here on some posts that's it's even harder to ask them for credit back and even some users got unexpected charges on credit card after cancellation

The second time the DB went down and you had to restore it...was that not a big clue? Has your support ticket been closed or something?

Also you may want to let the moderation team know what domain you have hosted with them http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I know.. maybe I've just been too easy, or too lazy to envolve the work on switching to another host.

Talking about the status of those tickets, everytime they reply the ticket, the status automatically changed to "closed" no matter how it actually is. Even when they reply for just asking me something like "Please re-create the database and let us know then we restore the data..." but the status is already "closed". I brought this up to their support then it's been little bit better. But another thing I've found: whenever I reply to a ticket, I will never get a response. The only way to get their response is.. to create a new ticket!

Hello , and welcome to WHT!

I'm sorry to hear of your issues with your current provider. However it's very easy to move servers, as your new provider should be able to transfer your sites free of charge.

Best Regards,

-Shaun-

How many months do you have left with them?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

still have up to July

Quote Originally Posted by cracker
    still have up to July
    Have you checked if they offer refunds? If they do maybe the best thing for you to do is collect, and maybe move on. Make sure you backup all of your stuff first!

Maybe they can give you a pro-rated refund. There are some hosts that may add you the remaining time at your host of you move with them. That could be another option
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

thanks for the advise. I'm still trying to get them refund.

By the way, any suggestions for the host service? I've been reading around the posts and the review sites pretty much have all the good reviews for their sponsors... so it's hard to find a good host. What I need is just for a foreign site with not much visitors as a starter, with MySQL, PHP, emails. This site is just for fun, but at least it should be up on the internet most of the time...

What kind of content is in the site, as in what are your requirements?

What is the size of your DB?

WOW, i nearly bought hosting from these a couple of weeks ago, after considering bluehost this seemed better somehow, but now i can see bluehost is better,

good luck with everything and i hope you get your database's back up and running !

Dan

I got like 5 db, one is for the forums, around 20MB.

The content is just some simple pages with links and the main things are stuffs like the forums & games

Danh111: that's my whole point.. I'm trying to get more people aware and stay out of them

Well hopefully as said above they can give you refund for what you have left (may nab some because leaving earlier)

But which says you should buy hosting monthly as it is a better option untill you feel safe and secure with a host.

I would def look around for host or individuals that would host your site at a discount until your lease is up with dot5. Many would love to do it for you but can't offer their services unless you post in the "requesting service forum" located here:

http://webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

If you post there about your needs and request, then you should get hit with some offers.

jerett

nice, thanks for all good advises