Maybe Cobalt RAQ's aren't dead after all...

Take a look at this:

http://www.sun.com/hardware/serverap...550/index.html

http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/Bro...parentId=60308

And I thought that Sun was going to let the Cobalt RAQ die. Perhaps they are actually going to try to get the RAQ line of products up to the level of some of the other Hosting control panels?

Anyone got there hands on one of these yet?

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Finally they are decently fast, but for those prices I think you could bulid a lot better server. Just my opinon though.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

Ugh, I deal with thousands of Cobalt's a day. It's like living in hell. If it's for a client that doesn't know what they're doing, it's a great solution. If it's for someone that knows the routine, don't get a Cobalt, it's a waist of money.

Agreed. Most linux gurus would not like using a RaQ, but then again they aren't the target market for it, so it really isn't that surprising. They have pluses and minuses...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken
    Agreed. Most linux gurus would not like using a RaQ, but then again they aren't the target market for it, so it really isn't that surprising. They have pluses and minuses...
    I feel the same way, but I can't help wondering if Sun has taken the time to make the RAQ more stable and standards based? Also, I wonder if they've improved their control panel? They used to be a market leader for hosting control panels years ago, but now their solution is pretty dated and simple compared to something like CPanel.

Certainly, we will find out more as soon as people start picking them up and sharing experiences.

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

I wouldnt mind having one of the faster models
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

Too expensive, for that price of the small I get like 4 boxes of same specs

That makes a good point. Why are RAQs so expensive for what they offer. Its not like the processor is so fast that it warrants the price. I never understood that about RAQs.
    So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know?" And he says, 'Oh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that goin' for me, which is nice." --Bill Murray Caddyshack

Very good point actually. If I could have one at home, I'd buy it for the color, because seeing the cool display and color is cool, but that's about it. If someone has one, setup a Quake II servers, that's really about all they're solid and good for!

I know it's off subject, but with talk of overpricing and Sun, it made me think of this short article I read on Cisco today. Pretty funny! http://www.satirewire.com/news/0104/cisco.shtml
    - joey

Originally posted by phpjames
    That makes a good point. Why are RAQs so expensive for what they offer. Its not like the processor is so fast that it warrants the price. I never understood that about RAQs.
    For the most part, the OS and general ease of use and deployment. Not many other servers that you can open up the box, throw in a rack, punch in a few settings, and have a fully functional web server in minutes with a decent cp with no monthly fee to boot. Once you add Plesk to a plain linux server or cpanel ($99/mo) the costs add up, and you won't be able to install it in the rack for a bit until you get the software installed. Like 'em or not, they do have pluses, not just minuses.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Heh, I'm actually thinking about buying a RaQ for home use (testing and development), just because of its ease of use, and to give me a little experience with something new...

*sigh* I really need a hobby...
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.