Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz (64 bit) 1MB
    Tyan Tiger Barebone Chasis 5350 Server Board
    1GB ECC RAM
    2 x SATA 80GB

============================================

Which is better and faster?

what are you going to be using it for?

Hi,

i will be mainly running web hosting, along side will be JSP. Linux box. which would u recommend?

I would recommend server 1 Dual CPU's, twice the Ram and 4 times the disk space. If price is not the issue this server will give you more room to grow before upgrading.
    IPGHosting.com Shared Hosting, Dedicated Servers, and Streaming Services.
    24x7 Support

Will it really affect much that Server 1 is 512K cache while Server 2 is 1MB and Server 2 is 64 bits while Server 1 is not.

With server 1 each CPU will have 512k cache but you have the advantage of 2 CPU's for processing power to cut the work load in half. Server 2 has 1 MB of cache but is limited to a single core and if the application is not 64 bit you gain no advantage.
    24x7 Support

Server1
    ServerTag Technologies - Everything you need for hosting activity
    A Canadian company providing top notch site hosting, servers and colocation services

Comparing the hard disk speed, server 1 is both IDE while server 2 is both SATA.

Will that affect much? I would required lots of read + write expecting because this is a web-hosting server, more over will be running JSP. which is kinda of intensive in the rotational of the hard disk.

Realistically high traffic web servers will just die with single hard drives, whether it be ATA or SATA.

I think by the time you can no longer deal with ATA, you will be seeking a RAID anyways.

Server #1

IMHO, 2 cpu's @ 2.4Ghz are 99% times better than one CPU @ umm.. even 5 Ghz.. no ?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ashagg
    IMHO, 2 cpu's @ 2.4Ghz are 99% times better than one CPU @ umm.. even 5 Ghz.. no ?

Regards.

Correct.

Net

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

What if now we change to this.

Server 1

AMD Opteron 246
    1GB Ram
    2 X 73GB SCSI HDD (RAID 1)

Server 2

Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz (64 Bits)
    1GB Ram
    2 X 80GB Sata

For now, what do you think?

Where i hate SCSI drives - i've found AMD to be better performance in proccessing hands down.

I'd go with 1

Where i hate SCSI drives
    Why do you hate SCSI?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Why do you hate SCSI?
    Its been my experiance that SATA is faster and more reliable than SCSI. I've had many SCSI HDD's fail where SATA's with the same / more load continue on.

Of course there is MANY factors to that... but it has still been my experiance that SATA > SCSI

Where I know that AMD Opteron 246 is running on a frequency of 2.0Ghz while the Intel Xeon is running on 3.0Ghz, which one will have a better benchmark?

Comparing that I will have high I/O on the Disk and the processing power for using many requests to mySQL.

Quote Originally Posted by Aybra
    Its been my experiance that SATA is faster and more reliable than SCSI. I've had many SCSI HDD's fail where SATA's with the same / more load continue on.

Of course there is MANY factors to that... but it has still been my experiance that SATA > SCSI
    Fair enough but your experience must be limited as SCSI has many years of experience behind it and if you buy 2 new disk sets scsi or sata scsi will win on performance and reliability.

Chances are that if you bought a s erver with SCSI last year and one with SATA2, the sata drives were probably new and the scsi ones not. I honestly believe your experience to be anecdotal. Now if one wants to tout the merits of SATA on a price / performance that is an argument that I see some merit in but certainly not reliability. Note, I am not saying that Sata wins but I concede the argument that it could.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by miltongoh
    What if now we change to this.

Server 1

AMD Opteron 246
    1GB Ram
    2 X 73GB SCSI HDD (RAID 1)

Server 2

Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz (64 Bits)
    1GB Ram
    2 X 80GB Sata

For now, what do you think?
    I would go with Server1 in this case!
    Tommy Tran - tommy @ vinax.net ::: VINAX, LLC ::: http://vinax.net ::: Since 2004
    Premium Dedicated Servers and Colocation in downtown Chicago (350 E. Cermak Rd)
    Premium Bandwidth, 100% Network & Power Uptime SLA, 24/7 Prompt Tech Support

Server 1 by far SCSI mirror over 2 non raid sata drives.
    24x7 Support

Server 1

Intel are crap, and SCSI is far better :-)

Comparing the speed wise for the processing power. Which one is better?

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1935&p=2

That is dual 2.8ghz intel compared to dual opteron 248.

Intel 64 Bit didn't work well in the 3.0ghz xeons, so forget comparing that.

As for the comparison of speed, the 246 x 2 is going to be faster. For drive speed its going to be faster also.

Quote Originally Posted by XanaduServers
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=1935&p=2

That is dual 2.8ghz intel compared to dual opteron 248.

Intel 64 Bit didn't work well in the 3.0ghz xeons, so forget comparing that.

As for the comparison of speed, the 246 x 2 is going to be faster. For drive speed its going to be faster also.
    but i am basing it on 1 Single AMD Opteron 246 Vs 1 Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz. Tell me about it.

Quote Originally Posted by miltongoh
    but i am basing it on 1 Single AMD Opteron 246 Vs 1 Intel Xeon 3.0Ghz. Tell me about it.
    If dual AMD Opteron 244's out perform Dual Xeon 3.0ghz in regards to database functions, wouldn't that lead you to believe the same thing about single vrs single?

Quote Originally Posted by XanaduServers
    If dual AMD Opteron 244's out perform Dual Xeon 3.0ghz in regards to database functions, wouldn't that lead you to believe the same thing about single vrs single?
    Sorry, mis read that Xeon is Dual too. Thought it was Single Xeon. Thanks!