Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Layered Tech + Server4sale rant

I've had a good experience with this combo until today. I put in an order for another server and wanted it on a private switch with my existing setup. I was told that my current server would have to change IPs and that it would be down for about 30 minutes or so.

It's now almost 7 hours, I've been given 1 main IP, no secondary IPs. My DirectAdmin license wasn't transfered over to the new IP I guess so that's down too. I've spent the last 6 hours emailing back and forth and Server4Sale keeps telling me they're waiting on LayeredTech.

I know it's Sunday but don't tell me you can do a server move if you're not willing to see it through. I'm so frustrated right now, I just felt like ranting.

Well like u said its sunday still, but LT can take time if server4sale is ur provider cause they are resellers of LT and how long it takes for LT and S4S to correspond is different story. But probably S4S are doing their part right now, but if it was sunday and thought they wouldnt have support from LT they should have delayed it to say Monday instead.
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

I believe LT said they could do it today... sigh, I'm at the 7 hour mark right now

In my personal experience, LT is known to delay everything when it's an emergency situation. Surprisingly they do everything fast when it's not an emergency.

LT's customer service and support has always been horrible from my experience. It is nothing surprising for me.

Hey

Ive learnt the only way to deal with layered tech is to call and make sure they know what you want.
    Jay

Is location an issue for you? If it isnt forget about LT... Migrate a bit north to Steadfast in chicago (www.steadfast.net). From my experiences they have the best support and quality around.

Location is not an issue, however I need a decent amount of bandwidth (~3000GB/mo) and Steadfast seems like they only have low bandwidth offerings, and even that comes at a premium price.

Ideally I'm looking to spend around $400/mo (which is what I pay now with LT) with my two servers, it looks like if I go over to Softlayer the same setup would cost me about $500 - $600 and I'd be giving up about 500GB of bandwidth/mo.... but maybe it's worth it just to have better support.

I'd like to stay with S4S since they've been good to me all along, they've told me that there's not much they can do, LT isn't responding to them.

how about softlayer?

Well, like I said it'd be about $100 - $200 more per month, but I might have to consider it.

They finally got my DA license up and running after 9 hours. They still have not provisioned me with my IPs, I have one main IP and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Payton48
    Location is not an issue, however I need a decent amount of bandwidth (~3000GB/mo) and Steadfast seems like they only have low bandwidth offerings, and even that comes at a premium price.
    I would just like to state that you are incorrect in stating we only have low bandwidth options as our value network offerings START at 20 Mbit/sec.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Sorry about that, didn't mean to slight your services in any way. I think for my bandwidth needs you might be a bit out of my budget though.

I'm sorry to hear your grumbles that you have for S4S and LT. We have responded to every of your update and relayed it to LT in timely fashion.

LT is sometimes slow in support but I'm sure once everything is online, they are superb!

Please PM me your ticket ID and what's left undone and I shall try to work out something for you.

I've emailed you the details... this is ridiculous. I was online and very happy before this move. I wanted to move onto a private switch with the new server I ordered.... when LT moves a server and assigns them a new IP range, do they not look at how many IPs I currently have and then assign the appropriate number of new IPs? I had 5 IPs to begin with, for the past 14 hours I've had 1...

As far as SL comment .. SL also takes some time sort out your issue.

Last time I had ordered 8 IPs and it took them more than 15-16 hrs to enable correct IP routing address routing for VPS. I have only 1 box with them.

Finally when I chatted with their Sales officer my issue was sorted out.
    Last edited by goku123; 11-20-2006 at 09:24 AM.
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

search on the forum my posts and see what happen with the server4sale support.....

I don't know who's fault this is... I finally got the IPs after about 16 hours or so

Elliot (I presume), I've worked real hard in pushing our techs in getting updates from LT persistently. I've also memo Majeed to look into your case, of which the end result might not be satisfying but I've did my very best to keep your issue resolved in timely fashion.

I do hope you would accept my apology for being incompetent. Just email me if you have any concern and I'll try to sort it out for you.

It's just frustrating that a relatively mundane task stretches into 16 hours of downtime for me.

I guess I don't understand why the IPs weren't allocated before the move and why it took so long to get Direct Admin back up and running.

It would be nice if LTADMIN or someone else from LT could explain why... I mean at the end of the day, I still have to pay the hosting bill, I suffered a 16 hour outage that I believe could have been easily preventable, and I have to accept the loss of revenue and traffic because of it.

It's your own provider's fault for giving you the wrong time frame. If you knew it might take this long you'd be feelling different right now.

I doubt LT ever made a promise to Server4Sale of 30 minutes maxmium for that job.

Also LT shouldn't have to do anything to do with this at all, Sever4Sale should be explaining why, not LTADMIN. You are NOT a LT customer.

LT is the one that provisions the new IPs, LT is the one that handles DA licenses. In this case I don't believe S4S had anything to do really.

No, you are understanding it wrong.

You are not a LT customer, full stop. S4S is the reseller yes, but they have 100 percent responsibility of you as a client. You have nothing to do with LT, not at all, whatsoever.

If you want to talk to LT directly, get rid of your middlemen and rent from them directly from LT.

Elliot, like I said, please contact me personally, WHT is not a support mean.

LT Vs S4S Vs HiVelocity

Hello Payton48,

I have to be realy careful when typing this as I am being watched like a hawk these days. As people always say to me, "Its not what you know, But who you know" So my wording here is going to be very carfuly stated as I am 100% sure my provider currently knows the bosses at WHT and i've been banned before for just speaking my mind in the past.

Anyway, Lets get going. Your provider S4S seems to have nice prices, B/W & Customer services when it comes to buying from them (Which is not unusual from any provider lets face it)

Your IP's been allocated go through such a BIG process that even I or my Technical Support staff could not fathom. Our company staff has contacts in big high places and with this in mind I had one of my Tech staff to contact the guys at Google Tech for some answers to this issue of yours. I cannot relate to what he said but from what I gathered assigning new IP's and transfering of a DA does NOT or SHOULD not take more than a few hours. However, I was also told that this also has to be calculated with the "High Traffic Support" "New Order Volumes" and much more.

In closing I would say that as with any company there will always be a client who does not pay on time, a client who asks for support every 4 minutes and a client who does "Charge Backs". My point being is that these are your typical few clients that mingle in with the rest BUT on no occation should a client be singled out or discriminated against as this is not good practice for business. It just seems to me that S4S should have given you more information and I fully agree with the 70% views on this thread that LT should not be the people who in your mind is responsible but S4S as they are your "Broker / Reseller" they should look after you all the way till you leave them (which i am sure will be very soon by the sounds of it)

With everything else said as in my title you may have seen "LT Vs S4S Vs HiVelocity" and say to yourself "What does Hivelocity have to do with this"
    Well nothing realy I wanted to simply point out my views and fair share of "Bad Support"

We purchased a "Test Box" from Hivelocity as this is company policy so we get to test out hardware, support, networks etc. Our company is in the Game Server hosting industry and competes with the likes of ClanServers.com, Counter-Strike.com and many more. RackGaming has prided itself on the reputation gained via its clients services for many months now since the opening 5 - 6 months ago.
    We are said to be "High In Quality" , "Professional Caring Staff With True 24/7 LIVE support" plus "Unbeatable competetive Prices" we are said to be the lowest price hosting provider for gamers that does not slack on support or quality.

When we got this box from Hivelocity we requested a simple "PHPMyAdmin" installation, "MySQL Installation" and "II6 To be Configured To Point To A Certain Dir" Est Time - 40 Min. This actually took over 48 Hours! After 48 hours I actually cancelled the request myself and as my mom always said "If you want a job doing properly, Do It Your Self" I read on Microsoft how to install and configure II6 and I already knew bits about PHPMyAdmin. The Total Time Of Completion was a Meer 36 Minutes Approx!

When this was all done I then came across another problem the same day. The B/W was not performing as well because we seen that our gamers were getting over 200ms pings to any of our servers on the BOX. Default configs the whole works! They even live in Florida And Texas and yet they still got 200MS. And guess were the DC is located : Tampa Florida! well after speaking with support they not only did not provide a good quality service but they also called me a Lyer by asking for "Tracert" and "Ping" ScreenShots from me AND the people getting 200ms and over. Now I know you should submit a trace route so that the techs can see the issue but calling me a lyer saying and I quote "We see no such problem our our end. You and your clients must all have bad ISP issues. In this case sir, Youa re wrong in saying we have a bad network"

Anyway after 4 DAYS! they transfered me to Level3 from Cogent which sure anough fixed the issue straight away! and even then they still did not belive me that their Cogent provider has issues. But anyway to get this transfer I not only had to speak with the support but I had to go over their head and pull a few strings with the management. I mean how many times do I have to go to their ceo's just to get me trasfered? Im just glad I have freinds in high places and I pitty other Hivelocity clients.

To add insult to injury they want our company to pay $50.00 more to stay on Level3 then the likes of S4S, LT, SL and many more GOOD providers have this service as standard! I asked for a refund, They said no and only 5 days after purchase. Whilst we wait now to see if our "4th transfer to Level3" will actually be perminent (which we all know it won't be cos Hivelocity just wants yoru money!) we now find out they their Hardware is failing ever 1 hour! This being the Ram. Our servers are lagging every 10min - 1 hour increments. We tested B/W outages, Server Configurations, No Mods Installed etc etc. We got a program to test out the momory and low and behold, CHEAP RAM!

Anyway Payton48 If you think you have problems with a simple IP and DA issue you should try solve this one see how long you last. We are sticking it out as we are actually in process of taking Hivelocity to court for False Advertisments, Selling Services which can not be used and other felons.

With the help of the folks at Google and Microsoft good freinds of mine and Goof Freinds of RackGaming we are able to achive this in a timly fasion and we are confident 100% we will get our money back. But as I keep saying its not about the money its about the principle of the matter. You do not sell something, then give HUGH downtimes and then DO NOT give compensation or Refunds. something RackGaming and Payton48 have in common.

Payton48 I hope you get your issue sorted. However we are considerin S4S next to get a "Test Box" with and we will update everyone after 1 months service with a small report.

I look forward to your order

Please let me know if there is anything I could assist you with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast