Let down by Hostgator

I'm normally a big fan of Hostgator but I can't quite believe what's happening today.

Earlier my account was suspended for too much memory usage. A short while later I received an email saying my account had been moved to a temporary dedicated server and I had a week to either upgrade or move to another host.

Fair enough. But my sites still aren't running and worse still I can't log into this new server to get the files I need to move elsewhere. I emailed the abuse department like I was told but no response as yet. I've used the technical line / live help but they're incapable of helping with this particular issue. The chain of support has been thoroughly ineffective.

It's meant 8 hours of downtime already and counting, almost all of which should have been easily avoided.

Sorry to hear about the trouble that you are having, did they notify you of any new IPS perhaps you may need to update your domain's nameservers?

Hello,

What's your ticket number with us? I'd be happy to get this looked at for you.

Xep-357290

Quote Originally Posted by Commit1 Anthony
    Sorry to hear about the trouble that you are having, did they notify you of any new IPS perhaps you may need to update your domain's nameservers?
    I was given the IP address of the dedicated server but I can't log into it using my normal details (which the email said should work).

Thanks, things finally seem to be moving, I kinda wish I'd posted here 8 hours ago.

On a slow day your site uses about 25% of the servers memory and is the heaviest user on the server. Today when I was monitoring I saw your servers load was at 45. When investigating the high load I found your site to be using over 60% of the servers memory.

I ran our script that copies an account to a temporary server, and sends out the email you got since it has became to large for a shared environment and was overwhelming the server. This script is suppose to suspend an account on one server while moving it to another server and turning it on. It suspended your account but for some reason failed when moving you to the temporary server. As of right now I turned your account back on and have begun to run the script again, and am monitoring it to make sure it does not fail this time. As far as the ticket not being done for 6 hours that's really just from us being short handed this weekend from the approaching holiday. We have been on a hiring rampage so should have the occasional staffing shortage problem solved soon. We sometimes run into problems when employees go on vacation, get sick, or have a miscellaneous reason to not show up for work can hurt.

The majority of your usage is to your add on domain that covers the new gaming system wii, and since it was just released that would explain the sudden huge spike in your usage from the extra traffic and your server being overwhelmed when I saw the 45+ load.

As far as posting on wht to get something solved sure you could do that and I'll find the post and respond the once or twice a day I come here to check for our name. Or you could email me personally which I check dozens of times a day, and respond to much quicker. My email is brent @ hostgator.com

Yes, today saw the release of the Wii console in the US. Unfortunate that my site was down for so long on launch day. I knew the traffic would be bigger than usual but I didn't expect to be taken offline. You might have checked that the move was a success.

I'm not convinced shared hosting is out of the question for the site, I have other more popular sites than this one on shared hosting at other webhosts. The cost increase from shared to dedicated is pretty steep so I'd like to avoid it if I possibly can. I'll move the site somewhere else within the week given.

Thanks for your help.

Lightbulb

I have not had any issues with Hostgator and I have been there since August. I have multiple domains there and have not seen any downtime. I admit their support is not to great as some tickets I have put in have went un answered for a day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by PoRtCuLLiS
    I'll move the site somewhere else within the week given.
    Please let me know when you find a good hosting. I had the same experience with them. They some how let me believe that my database was the problem. I have to shut the site down since April of this year after hiring someone to rebuild the database. Lucky for me that the guy I hired did not take my money after seeing my site being shut down again. I just requested Hostgator to enable the database again. The site is now with totally no hits. I don't want to build up the site and again being shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by baxao
    I don't want to build up the site and again being shut down.
    What u need is a reliable host and better investment

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    What u need is a reliable host and better investment

Agreed. When shared hosting is engineered correctly you cannot beat it for the price/performance/management ratio.

Kind Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by baxao
    Please let me know when you find a good hosting. I had the same experience with them.
    Well it's been a month now, I moved the site to aSO (asmallorange) and the experience so far is a good one. I've had a couple of downtimes, but very brief ones, support are quick to jump into action. They also haven't whined about system resources, so I guess for the moment it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by PoRtCuLLiS
    Well it's been a month now, I moved the site to aSO (asmallorange) and the experience so far is a good one. I've had a couple of downtimes, but very brief ones, support are quick to jump into action. They also haven't whined about system resources, so I guess for the moment it's all good.
    Glad to hear that you are happier with ASO, keep us updated

Were the downtimes caused because of your web site or something else?

Hello,
    Thats a horrible story, sorry to hear that.

Glad to hear that you finally moved to another host and you are happy with them. Good luck

Damn, your site is an amazing resource hogger.

I know their site caused downtime with us, but it was opening day for the wii so perhaps it calmed down now that the system and their about it has been out for a while.

I don't know how ASO does things but we sure don't allow sites to stay in a shared environment that are causing downtime for everyone.

Traffic has cooled down a bit since launch, but even then it wasn't extremely high.

You said we were using up 25% of the memory even on a quiet day, if true that makes me think your server is pretty weak. We were getting less than 5,000 uniques a day at that stage, not many of us would call that 'heavy' traffic. We're not running any hefty scripts either, no forums or anything. Our pages are written pretty efficiently (imo).

To be honest it seems to me like HG is keen to push dedicated servers onto people at the first sign of traffic, even when they're not genuinely needed.

As stated server load was 40+ and downtime was being caused which led me to investigate and find your site to be the cause. It doesn't matter if you get 1 visitor if you are causing downtime in a shared environment we aren't going to allow it.
    On the same note you don't go by uniques if you're counting traffic / load done to a server. 5k uniques can equal 100'000s of page views. And even then we don't care how much traffic you're getting we only care if the server begins to have slowness or downtime at which point we solve the problem, and in this particular case your site was the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com
    5k uniques can equal 100'000s of page views.
    Yea or 20,000 in this case

Never underestimate the load a high traffic site or resource intensive script can put on a server!

Pretty high server load and memory usage. In this case I don't think Hostgator could do anything else... one site can't jeopardize all other clients.

Congratulations for your site success. Really impressive stats. Save some money for an upgrade next time you hit it big time again
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!