Is it easier shopping for a VPS or Dedicated Server?

Just want to get some opinions.

I've been reading up at VPS and dedicated servers recently and I've noticed that there are some VPS that seems like they are overselling or say they are VPS when they actually or not (does not allowed have root access, etc)

It seems like alot of people go for VPS solution compared to a dedicated server because I guess you get more bang for the buck?

After reading the advertising in both VPS and Dedicated server forums here, the VPS forum has left me in dismay and confusing. It's really hard on my eyes, searching for one that has windows 2003, and everything I need.

Where however, the dedicated servers advertising seems straightforward and clear.

If I have the money to spend and even though I can get a VPS instead, should I just waste it on a dedicated server as I feel a dedicated server is more secure because I know what I will be getting?

I wouldn't give up so soon. Ultimately, you'll be happy with a solution that meets your needs. Have you clicked the 'Virtual Private Servers' link under the 'Find a Host' dropdown menu at the top of this page yet? That might have something to meet your needs. Also, try a Google search. That will at least get you pointed in the right direction. Plus, after seeing your thread, other forum members may know of a VPS host that will meet your needs.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    I wouldn't give up so soon. Ultimately, you'll be happy with a solution that meets your needs. Have you clicked the 'Virtual Private Servers' link under the 'Find a Host' dropdown menu at the top of this page yet? That might have something to meet your needs. Also, try a Google search. That will at least get you pointed in the right direction. Plus, after seeing your thread, other forum members may know of a VPS host that will meet your needs.
    I got some offers for VPS using the "Find a Host" feature in the forums. However, the prices they are charging for a VPS are roughly the same if I just got a dedicated server.

If anyone have any good suggestions for a VPS, I would appreciate it. Right now I'm running around my house like a chicken and pulling my hair out in panick mode lol

How much space and other features do you need? There are companies such as http://www.globalservers.com/ that offer pretty inexpensive VPS solutions, but they come with a lower feature set. Again, your best bet is probably to do a Google search - that's how I found the site above.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    How much space and other features do you need? There are companies such as http://www.globalservers.com/ that offer pretty inexpensive VPS solutions, but they come with a lower feature set. Again, your best bet is probably to do a Google search - that's how I found the site above.
    GlobalServers doesn't seem to provide root access and limits you on the number of POP accounts, etc. - are you sure this is a true VPS?
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I don't know, it was just an example I found when searching for VPS. My point is that there are lower-priced providers, even if they are not one of them. I saw the term 'VPS' in their plans, and assumed they offered everything. Sorry, guys. I should've researched it better first.

yeah it seems that alot of vps don't offer root access. It seems like there are alot of advertising in the VPS forum in which they are "not" true VPS.

After hours of searching, I think I found a VPS I'll be happy with (vps4me). They have good reviews with WHT users and such.

They even offer dedicated hosting which I can switch over to if our website gets big.

Money isn't an issue to me, but I guess shelling out 45 dollars a month instead of 100 dollars a month initially sounds like the more logical thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by tonten
    yeah it seems that alot of vps don't offer root access. It seems like there are alot of advertising in the VPS forum in which they are "not" true VPS.

After hours of searching, I think I found a VPS I'll be happy with (vps4me). They have good reviews with WHT users and such.

They even offer dedicated hosting which I can switch over to if our website gets big.

Money isn't an issue to me, but I guess shelling out 45 dollars a month instead of 100 dollars a month initially sounds like the more logical thing to do.
    Here are a few VPS hosts which I have tried and had good experience with:

www.myriadnetwork.com
    www.knownhost.net
    www.vpslink.com
    www.provps.com

HTH,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    Here are a few VPS hosts which I have tried and had good experience with:
    www.myriadnetwork.com
    I highly recommend Myriad Network, their support team is dedicated and always replies within a couple of minutes with a knowledgeable response.
    Last edited by sliqua; 11-20-2006 at 09:50 AM.
    Alexander McMillen
    President and CEO - Sliqua Enterprise Hosting, Inc. - AS32740
    Serving up scale and service since 2002. Is your mission critical?
    1-877-4-SLIQUA - http://www.sliqua.com - http://www.isyourmissioncritical.com