Unhappy Win 2k Terminal Server! ”””””help!!!!

DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW TO RUN WIN2K TERMINAL SERVER, AND LOG ON A CLIENT USEING A THIN CLIENT? WITHOUT HARD DRIVE, WITHOUT FLOPPY, JUST LAN!? IS THAT EVEN POSIBLE?
    DOES IT REQUIRE A SPECIAL MOTHERBOARD? OR A SPECIAL LAN CARD? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIEATED!!!

do you have to SHOUT????? IT IS VERY OFFENSIVE TO SEE A POST FULL OF CAPITALIZED WRODS!!!!!!!!

Peter

OK, if you turn off the cap lock, I will try to help.

What you need is a special client, so you have to look for one. After that, you will need the actual hardware (The thin client) to run that. You probably need a specialized OS to run it.

Peter

hey, sorry for the CAPS, most of our software we run here, we use caps, so its always on, so im kinda useto seeing all caps, and didnt realize it, well ne ways,
    is it posibel in any ways to use Windows Terminal Server to do this job? like boot off LAN and the server thats runing these services will shoot an OS to that dummy client. am I makeing sense at all? or just thnking ahead in future?

You are not thinking ahead, more like in the past. It used to be a big thing in the 90s that the thin client model was going to revolutionize the computing world. That's why Sun's slogan of "The network is the computer" (or is it the other way around?)

I don't have any specific/concrete answer for you question. I also have not heard of such a case. However, looking at the setup, it is quite clear that you need two things. One is the hardware that can be used to boot an OS that doesn't load off disk(maybe off network instead), and two is the software client that will both connect to terminal service AND be able to run on that diskless OS.

Peter

Thanks I apprecieate that. are you able to sudgest any to me?

Sorry, I don't know any. I would also imagine this type of solution to be hard to find. What are you trying to accomplish? maybe there is an alternate way.

Peter

What you are talking about is certainly possible. This was very popular about 2 years ago.

Server Technologies:
    Windows Terminal Server
    Citrix Metaframe

Client Technologies:
    Lots of options. Do a search for Windows Terminals, thin clients, etc.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

It's no terminal services, but if there's only going to be one person logged in to the server at a time, I don't see why more people don't use Microsoft Netmeeting with Remote Desktop Sharing?

It's nearly universal with Windows, and it works fairly well. It's a good solution to Terminal Services if you don't want to do the 5 minutes of configuration/download files TS takes.

Netmeeting -> Tools -> Remote Desktop Sharing == Easy.
    - joey

Here are some additional resources on the subject:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...rminalsvcs.asp
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

Thanks guyes, I greatly apprecieate all the help. The reason for me looking in to this solutions is because we have a client who is intrested in a call center solution, im guessing Citr!x Metaframe with win2k server would be probubly be the most efficient way to go about this. which enables limited software shareing there for increasing productivity, meaning not too much distraction for associeates. ie. internet, instant messenger, etc...

Thanks All.

Originally posted by Joey
    I don't see why more people don't use Microsoft Netmeeting with Remote Desktop Sharing?
    1) Because, Netmeeting would have to be open on the remote machine. Yes, it can answer the call automatically, but then the desktop needs to be shared. So if your not at the machine it is a problem.

2) People may wish to dial into the machine instead of doing it via IP.

3) It may be used for remote admin of a box, if you reboot it, when it comes back up you are going to have problems connecting to it again.

Terminal services is the way to go for administering Windows

Hrm..

1) Because, Netmeeting would have to be open on the remote machine. Yes, it can answer the call automatically, but then the desktop needs to be shared. So if your not at the machine it is a problem.
    Netmeeting doesn't have to be open on the remote machine. Desktop sharing has to be open on the remote machine, which runs in the background and uses close to zero resources. It has a tiny icon in the system tray and that's about it.

3) It may be used for remote admin of a box, if you reboot it, when it comes back up you are going to have problems connecting to it again.
    When it comes back up, if you've set it up right the first time, it restarts itself and shares itself. It's a couple click process.

You do have me with the dialing into the server instead of using an IP, but for remote administration, I choose Netmeeting over WinVNC or Symantec pcAnywhere.
    - joey

Yes, it's entirely possible, I had a little thin client that did that, make sure they support RDP and they'll be able to establish a connection with the server.

You may need to use it in User mode, not remote admin mode...

This eBay Auction would be perfect for you.
    Alex Threlfall
    Cyberprog New Media
    www.cyberprog.net
    I don't have to look for trouble. It seems to know pretty much all the time where I am.

Joey - I will take your word for what you say, it's a long time since I have used NetMeeting