domains/IPs/hostnames/mail best practices

Dear All,

I'd like to set up 2 VPS to act as DNS, web and mail servers for several domains.

I know that the chosen hostname at creation time is used for WHM/Cpanel licencing. I know also that my mail server must have a valid PTR record in the host's DNS.

There are probably other issues.

Could someone point me to a tutorial or another document explaining how to avoid errors in a project like that ?

I guess you are asking to use 2 Different servers to use for same websites, its easy but you have to do some additional, For DNS You need to use control panels with dns synch feature, Cpanel/Da have this feature and is very easy to use.

For Web, You need to add A records for round robin and lower your TTL so that one server failure will not make your web down. For MX enter the other servers record for each other. Also becaue of DNs synch your mails will never returned to sender even if you dont add backup MX record, But better do this.

Thank you for answering.

I didn't know the DNS sync feature, I'll have a look to it asap.

I was concerned about the server name being tied to Cpanel. I have registered a new domain only for network management, and things are clearer to me for now.

Maybe I'll come later with other questions on the same subject.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bystro
    Thank you for answering.

I didn't know the DNS sync feature, I'll have a look to it asap.

I was concerned about the server name being tied to Cpanel. I have registered a new domain only for network management, and things are clearer to me for now.

Maybe I'll come later with other questions on the same subject.

Thanks again.
    Have you looked at Cpanel DNSOnly?
    No license required and it will sync with your cpanel servers

Have you looked at Cpanel DNSOnly?
    No license required and it will sync with your cpanel servers
    I'll have a look too.

Thx