Thread: Legal question

Legal question

Hello all, i am hoping that you may be able to help me with a question i have.

I was looking to start up a website like http://www.vidica.com/index.html but instead of linking the user to content on youtube.com i was going to embed the video and stream it on my website. The stream will still come from youtube and other video websites but they will just be embeded into my website. The files will not be on my webserver.

I was wondering if this is at all legal?

Hope to hear your thoughts

Aaron Luckie

As soon as they realise you are stealing bandwidth and advertising revenue I'm sure you will have a problem Not sure on the actual legality but they won't make it easy for you if the site gets popular.
    Steve

I understand what you are saying. Does anyone else have an opinion..

YouTube gives embed code beside each video. Read YouTube's terms of service. You are allowed to embed YouTube videos on non-commercial sites. You would have to read the TOS of the other video sites.

No it's not illegal at all. As Techno said they give you the code.

It's not only not frowned on, it's encouraged. when you embed videos like that, they are still hyperlinked. if a user clicks it, it will take them to youtube.

What you are suggesting is a popular way to do it.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

It's not only not frowned on, it's encouraged.
    Yes, but they key word is non-commercial sites. If you are making money (a significant amount) then your site might be considered commercial in nature and that could lead you in hot water with the provider.