Angry AFP Firewall keep hanging my server!

So I requested a total of 5 to 6 times for a reboot from my DC. Whenever I try to start my AFP firewall, it just hang my server. Even after I reinstall AFP and start it, it still hang my server! Is there any log file where I can keep track of the problem?

Thanks in advanced!

Your configuration file is likely wrong, make sure your network interfaces are setup correctly.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

It could also appear to hang when starting if you have a lot of rules setup with it...check deny_hosts.rules and allow_hosts.rules to see what you have...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Ok thanks, will keep you guys updated! Now I can't even access the server and my DC's support ticket system seems to be down ATM. Just my luck?

Quote Originally Posted by anlene
    Ok thanks, will keep you guys updated! Now I can't even access the server and my DC's support ticket system seems to be down ATM. Just my luck?
    May be a network problem with the NOC's entire network?

hmm....sounds rather logical For all I know, once their support system is up, I'll open another ticket and request if they're able to look into my firewall problem. Hopefully they can help.

What provider are you using?
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

In your conf.apf file there is a setting called VF_UTIME=""
    I am not sure what the default value is, but if you set this to 60, it will make sure that your server has an uptime of 60 seconds before activating APF. If 60 seconds isnt enough, increase it till it doesnt hang anymore. It may be commented it by default.
    Last edited by Chris_M; 11-18-2006 at 06:02 PM.

I think hes having it crash regardless if its a reboot or not.

Whenever I try to start my AFP firewall, it just hang my server.

Service provider is ev1. Support suggested that I should create an allow rule for myself in my ruleset so that I won't be locked out. Any ideas how I do this?

Ok I'm doing this for my own IP now:

[root@plesk ~]# /etc/apf/apf -a XXX.XX.XXX.XX MYOWNIP
    Inserted into firewall: Allow all to/from XXX.XX.XXX.XX

Basically I found my IP in deny rules, hence I've removed it and added ip to allow. Am I right on track before I do the ultimate restart again?

You should have no problems!

Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I started the wall and it works now Thanks thanks thanks! Now I'm requesting my DC to boot it back to runlevel 3.

Good to hear that everything works fine for you

Apparently not. Today I got blocked out again. My DC just rebooted my server yet again. Once booted, I login via root and check the deny host rules, this time, no ip address is inside. Firewall woes! Anyone have any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Do you have any firewalls other than apf and iptables? Or, NOC guys flushed out the apf rules for you to login the server?
    Senior Server Administrator

edit your allow_hosts.rules file.
    add tcp:in:d=22=yourexternalipaddress
    save the file
    then do a service apf restart
    also make sure your ip isn't in deny_hosts.rules
    also, in conf.apf you can set DEVEL_MODE="1" for testing purposes
    which will turnoff the firewall after 5 minutes in case you lock yourself out.
    Do NOT leave this set at 1 once you are done testing.
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

I have only 1 firewall which is apf. Support replied me this:

"We have stopped apf and iptables. Your server is responding via ssh. Closing ticket."

Now the wall is offline. I don't even dare to start it. Do I have to do iptables -F? I did iptables -L and the results shows:

[root@plesk ~]# iptables -L
    Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Does that seems ok?

You have no firewall rules now. To install apf, see the tutorial http://www.crucialp.com/resources/tu...y-firewall.php that should help you.
    Senior Server Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by crusetech
    edit your allow_hosts.rules file.
    add tcp:in:d=22=yourexternalipaddress
    save the file
    then do a service apf restart
    also make sure your ip isn't in deny_hosts.rules
    also, in conf.apf you can set DEVEL_MODE="1" for testing purposes
    which will turnoff the firewall after 5 minutes in case you lock yourself out.
    Do NOT leave this set at 1 once you are done testing.
    OH! Ok, I'm setting to DEVEL_MODE="1" for now! At least I won't bother DC staff too much

As regarding "add tcp:in:d=22=yourexternalipaddress", I don't have a static IP. Does it matters or are you referring to other IP?

stop using iptables commands. APF acts as a wrapper for iptables so you don't need to use these commands. Make sure you look at apf.conf (pay attention to the IG_TCP_CPORTS (allowed incoming ports) and EG_TCP_CPORTS (allowed outgoing ports) once these are correct for your application, add your home or office IP to the hosts_allow file. There is an example in there on how to do this.
    Make sure your IP is not listed in the hosts_deny file and then do a service apf start or service apf restart
    Dan Bulmer
    CRUSE Hosting Services
    http://www.crusehosting.com
    Full H-SPhere Clustered Servers

Ok I think I know what's the reason. Is my dumb head causing the problem. Previously I did a port changed (For example:4000) instead of 21. So while I reinstall APF, I forgot to include 4000 port as in/outbound. Am I spot on?

So do I place this "special port" in IN or OUT bound? Sorry for being a dumbo as I just started to get the hang of it

Hey guys, I put my port in the IG_TCP_CPORTS and relogin with root. Everything seems to be working now.

I'll be working on the rules later....So many thanks for all your help guys!