Convert VHS to AVI/MPEG?

I'm wondering if a device exists that can help in converting some VHS movies I have to a digital format so that I can edit them with my computer.

Any direction on the topic would be great!

I've never seen anyone do this, but I'd imagine you'd have to hook the VCR up to your computer, and get a specially programmed application to rip it from the VCR.

Which probably, technically, would be illegal.

Reading, England
    Yes and it's very easy to do. Something like this will get you going - - you will also need to connect a sound input to your soundcard as this just takes s-video/composite video output and converts it to a USB connection.

There is tons of software out there which will let you then capture the video, or you can just use Windows Movie Maker which comes with Windows.

Under Your Skin

It cost $90, but it works very well. I converted a video for my cousin (of his son)... he was floored... I've converted a couple others over with great results. Best part is it comes with software to create your own DVD (menus, etc). The quality is great; you can’t tell the VHS from the converted DVD. Of course, if you have a crappy VHS, you will still have a crappy DVD. lol

You can also hook it up and record TV stations or watch TV on it... I often have the news open (behind my browser) and listen to the news....

Very easy to use and operate since everything comes in the box. When I got mine, the remote did not work, but the company sent me another for free (as they should). It was a fast ship.... nothing else has went wrong... had for six months.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!