how do you build a server?

Like i want to build a server do i use a server motherboard or any motherboard will work? Do i preload the linux i want or can the datacenter do that? Also what about drivers for like ethernet ports how do i get a linux version?

thanks,
    FrostVPN.com - Speedy OpenVPN & PPTP VPN Services

If you are using a 2U then most any motherboard will work. 1U needs a special kind of motherboard because the case is too short, because the motherboard sound card is too tall for it. You will also have to get a smaller heatsync on a 1U.

Depending on your DC (preloading linux). It really isn't that hard, just download the image from the site, burn it to a cd, put it in the box, and follow the instructions. Fedora and Centos are pretty straight forward when it comes to the install.

Some motherboards have issues with drivers. For example, I put in a gigabyte motherboard and centos did not detect the network card. I bought a dlink network card, put in the PCI and worked fine. I had a intel motherboard (can't remember the name of it) which hanged when it came to probing pci, and never completed. I was never able to install linux on that motherboard.

It would be best to talk to your local computer store (best buy, frys, compusa) for more info on what you need, what will work best, etc.

Thanks,
    Camron
    VPSFuze.com - Performance should be noticeable - VPS Hosting at its best.
    HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

Do you recommend buying a server or just buying one from like dell? Also any mobo works then? Even a non-server one?
    Last edited by httpCORE; 11-18-2006 at 04:53 AM.

I asked my dad one day how to change the oil in the car... he said to take it to Jiffy Lube.

My advice is that you stick with having a professional deal with building a server for you.

You can buy from dell, if you want quality (and spend a rediculous ammount of money ).

Check out visionman.com, good support, quality hardware, and fast shipping. I got 2 servers from them about 4 months ago, no issues since.
    HostingFuze.com - Affordable & Reliable Shared & Master Reseller hosting services

dell.com, hp.com, ibm.com, apaqdigital.com, and rackmountsetc.com. Utilize those websites, and do not ask frys compusa or bestbuy for server building advice as they most likely will have zero experience with that.

I built personal desktops before just never touched on servers. Right now im looking at pricing and colo seems to be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawkit
    dell.com, hp.com, ibm.com, apaqdigital.com, and rackmountsetc.com. Utilize those websites, and do not ask frys compusa or bestbuy for server building advice as they most likely will have zero experience with that.
    You would be suprised, some of the people their don't have a clue, but a few people iv'e talked to seem to be on the same page as me.

In your situation, it would be best to buy a server. Building one takes time if it's your first time - as you may run into issues.

The problem is FDCServers ram upgade prices are costly at $140 per gig of ram. It would be cheaper for me to colo since the ram upgrade itself will cost me $280 for two gigs of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by crspyjohn
    The problem is FDCServers ram upgade prices are costly at $140 per gig of ram. It would be cheaper for me to colo since the ram upgrade itself will cost me $280 for two gigs of ram.
    What happens when the RAM on your server fails? Are you ready with hot spares just ready to be installed at a moments notice? That is what you are paying for when you pay the inflated prices datacenters charge for RAM (or hard drives, motherboards, CPU's, etc.). If you feel that you are ready to fully support your hardware (and software) with minimal hands-on service from your datacenter, then go for it.

Thats why I stress test a server for about a month before I would send it to the datacenter. If it is going to fail it will fail then.

On top of the suggestions what were already given, i would watch the wht offers, there are usually some really good ones.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

If it is going to fail it will fail then.
    I wish that was true. Failures do happen unexpectedly.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0
    I wish that was true. Failures do happen unexpectedly.
    Yup.... Ive had a dual p3 600mhz... for 6/7 years no problems... but a top of the line from dell went dead under a week.

Best bet get a 2u and you can *pretty* much put any mobo in there, just make sure you get one with video so you can put a better NIC then the onboard (if needed).
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Hi!
    That's why I recommend...esp for the server newbie..to go to someone like

http://www.aberdeeninc.com

They take care of that for you...testing and *real* burn-in of memory and everything...and nowhere near what certain other companies charge for high-end hardware. I thought I'd take a quick look what Mikie (*ell) had these days..ouchie..kinda proud of their stuff. Blah..they can keep it.

I, as usual, am exploring even more create server configs. I want to leave this brute in Atlanta..or wherever...and be able to do nifty things like:

*switch out hard drives
    *add/remove memory
    *complete os reinstalls

from Tennessee. As you can see..I like challenges. Darn good thing I have a background in robotics, eh?

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 11-18-2006 at 02:08 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

16. Quote Originally Posted by crspyjohn
    in fact, $140 per gig RAM is not really out of norm nowadays! especially those high quality, name brand, ECC registered server RAM of any type. RAM modules of any kind have gone up over 50% in price in last few month.

both supermicro and Tyan have full line of high quality, well-engineered, thermally-optiomized 1U barebone servers available. all you have to do is to add CPU/RAM/HDDs. all cabling (pre-wired) /accessories/rail kits come with the packages too.
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/ (Intel)
    http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/system/1U/ (AMD)
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/barebone_intel.html (Intel)
    http://www.tyan.com/products/html/barebone_amd.html (AMD)

if you have 0 experience of DIY servers, these barebone servers are highly recommended.

Thats why I stress test a server for about a month before I would send it to the datacenter. If it is going to fail it will fail then.
    A prolonged burnin test only catches those that were going to die from "infant mortality". It does not guarantee that the server will then run forever without a failure.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine