Question Allowing someone to use my server to send mail?

Hi.

To cut a long story short, I need to allow a 'random' person to send email through my dedicated server.

They don't use my server for anything else.

Basically they've lost the ability to send email through their ISP, who are uncontactable for whatever reason. My thought was that if I can offer them this temporary fix, I should be able to sell them more services (mail / web etc).

Thanks for any information / advice.

Dave.

What about creating a hosting account for him and remove the permission to access files other than mail folders?

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcares
    What about creating a hosting account for him and remove the permission to access files other than mail folders?
    Hi.

I had a mini-brainwave shortly after posting.

In Outlook, I just set my server as the outgoing server and turned on SMTP Authentication - and told it to authenticate using one of my email addresses that is hosted on the same server. It worked a treat ... unless of course I've totally missed something? It certainly worked OK sending to and from different servers in different DC's.

Anyway, I've now got to visit the customer on Monday afternoon and take 70 ($130?) off them to set this up. (Not my rates, my employer's). So it'll be one minute to setup, then at least half an hour looking busy, tidying the PC up and drinking tea.

Thanks
    Dave.

nothing better than easy money.... Don't you love Technology.
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet