Angry What is up with Fortress, JVDS.com and/or VPSColo?

Grrr these guys go up and down and all I get is "techy talk" for excuses. Any suggestions or is all of my data lost? I'm "suppsosed" to have automatic backup of the info on the server we have with them but they aren't being helpful at all.

We even tried to previously backup our store, sites, and message boards but none of the backup modules in their cpanel ever worked and we were TOLD that they did backups all the time of their servers. Once when our server went down they used THEIR backup (although a few days out of date) to restore everything but why not now??

Heeelllp. I don't want a refund or free months..I want my sites back!
    ===

My email #1 to them:

Hi..can you guys check to see if our server is down or needs to be
    restarted? I don't have the ip number, but the main domain name is
    ******.net and all of the sites on that server are not coming up.

Thanks.

====

There responses, in order:

Hello,

The host node encountered a problem. We are currently working on it, and a final fsck is run.
    We will update you once it's up. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Sorin Neatu
    FortressITX Technical Support Team

====

We apologize for the extended server downtime. We are updating you on the current status of the host server. A manual filesystem check is currently being performed and is successfully repairing the errors. Since the partition is a very large size it is taking a lot longer than expected. We anticipate that it will take another 6-12 hours to complete. Again, we apologize for this major inconvenience.

----------
    Steven Folkertsma
    Unix Technical Support
    Fortress ITX

====

Hello,

Due to multiple drive failures on the host server we were unable to salvage your account data. We will be recreating your account on one of our other host servers. If you were utilizing remote backups on one of our in-house servers, please let us know which server and the account name. We will repopulate your VPS with the most recent data available to get you up and running as soon as possible.

If you wish to remain with VPSColo we are offering 6 months of free service due to your loss. If you will be leaving the company we are offering a one month credit. To speed up the account creation process directly, please let our technicians know which VPSColo plan you currently have as well as any addons you wish to retain.

Thank You

thanks,
    --
    Jean P. Dentone
    Unix Technical Support
    FortressITX

====

My email reply to them:

I thought that the reason for hosting with you was because YOU did backups
    of your servers? I suggest that you find the most recent backups of our
    data and get it up and running as soon as possible. First you say it will
    be fixed immediatley, then you said 6 to 12 hours and now you are saying it
    can't be fixed. We don't backup your servers...the account we have with you
    indicates that you do the backups.

Please advise as soon as possible. The main domain with you is
    www.*****.net and all of the sites off of that server have been down for
    days.

====

Their last reply to me:

if you did not request remote backups on one of our in-house servers there is no way to recover your data; if you did, provide the login information.

also let us know what plane were you using so we can recreate your vps

thanks,
    --
    Jean P. Dentone
    Unix Technical Support
    FortressITX
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force Assemble!

I believe you are about to learn a very hard lesson on backing up your own content.

What wasn't mentioned not sure why, our backup server died a day or so before this system died, and we are in the process of upgrading it to a bigger system now. But we have setup individual temporary backup systems for the other nodes. But yes, always keep backups of your data, we offer a free backup account in addition to our backup server on a completely separate box.
    Jay

Chances are that you are not going to get your sites back. Its time to start from the zero once again.

I have the backups and originals of the sites...sorry for leaving that out...what I don't have a backup of is the PHPBB message board and cubecart store for one of our clients. We tried repeatedly to back these 2 items up but the online backup never worked and we were told by the tech people at JVDS that they backed up the information so it wouldn't be a problem.

I can get the sites up and running again but the store and message board records are most likely gone forever then.

Thanks for the help/replies. If anyone from Fortress reads this and wants to try and find backups..even if they are old..of the message board and store of my client they can private message me for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by jayglate
    What wasn't mentioned not sure why, our backup server died a day or so before this system died, and we are in the process of upgrading it to a bigger system now. But we have setup individual temporary backup systems for the other nodes. But yes, always keep backups of your data, we offer a free backup account in addition to our backup server on a completely separate box.
    Of course the backup server died as does every hosts "backup" server when they are caught with their pants down.....

They guy who replied from Fortress on here said he would look into my backups but haven't heard from him yet and its been a few days.

A different tech support guy gave me the following info yesterday:

"Hello,

Our backup server is currently down because it encountered a problem with the raid controller and we sent it to 3ware for maintenance. It will be back in 1, maybe 2 weeks. Until then, if you didn't ask for the free ftp backup account, we don't have any backups for you.

Regards,

Sorin Neatu
    FortressITX Technical Support Team"

Is it "normal" that all of the backup servers PLUS regular servers go down at the same time? I'm at a loss as to rebuiding my clients message board and online store...unless I wait the 2 or 3 weeks for their backup server to return from 3ware. Maybe if I tell my clients that there was a "problem with the raid controller" they will understand. Hmpf.

Yeah I know we should have kept more backups, and fought with them to fix the problem with Cpanel system not backing up the store and message board modules but it's just seem too easy for these guys to say "the clutch went out of the heximal drive during a level 4 test on the inertial dampeners so all of your stuff is lost and basically you're screwed and will have to live with it BUT we will give you six months of credit."

My clients thank you.

Hi!
    Of course not..please...the chances are absolutely astronomical of that happening in real life. 2 Weeks????? Come on. If it was a real emergency as they say...there is such a thing as overnight service. Expensive..yes..but..

Just for once...I'd like to see a host come clean: Oh..well..we've been lying all along..from day one...about doing backups. Your data is gone. Sorry!

Yeah..and Company A is giving free servers away to everybody! Ask for your now!
    Before they're all gone!

Bryon
    Last edited by bryonhost1; 11-21-2006 at 04:24 PM.
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

I agree...I havent found a host that "actually" does the backups they say they will do for you. The reason I host my sites with someone else is because 1) it's cheap (just being honest and yes I know you "get what you pay for" and 2) I'm not a tech person...I depend on people who know what they are doing and who will keep the servers up and running and the backups done.

Fortress/JVDS/VPSColo came on good reccomendations but after Russ left it looks like they went downhill. And yes, it if was important to them they would get the backup server returned quicker then 2 or 3 weeks. I doubt I'm the only one on that server who has lost everything. Excuses and "tech speak" (no offense to the techys) only go so far. I have no idea what a RAID CONTROLLER is and don't even want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by up_guy
    Yeah I know we should have kept more backups, and fought with them to fix the problem with Cpanel system not backing up the store and message board modules but it's just seem too easy for these guys to say "the clutch went out of the heximal drive during a level 4 test on the inertial dampeners so all of your stuff is lost and basically you're screwed and will have to live with it BUT we will give you six months of credit."
    I must say, I completely agree with you, it is their fault that you lost your data. No question about it, they royally messed up....

However, its not fair to harass them over using "technical jargon" simply because you don't understand it. I personally appreciate it when tech support is as detailed as possible.... If I don't understand something, I usually google it, or check on wikipedia.org. If I still don't understand, I simply ask the tech for explain it. They have no way of knowing how much or how little you know about servers, hosting, ect.

Bottom Line: Get your refund and move on.
    -steve

Hi!
    Even more interesting. A RAID controller is a card that goes inside the server.
    Funny...I thought they said they had to send the whole server "back". No..if the RAID controller did really go bad...it's just a card. You take the card out...and get another one...preferable Fed EX..in my book. Hmmm..."3ware"...Ah! I've heard of them..they are part of AMCC now. Here's what they look like:

http://www.3ware.com/

Ouch. Major ouch. Good gravy..no...I wouldn't have one of those sitting around just in case. They cost $1K-$4K. Still....Fed Ex time. One-two weeks indeed.

>>Correction: Fed Ex same day time.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1
    Hi!
    Even more interesting. A RAID controller is a card that goes inside the server.
    Funny...I thought they said they had to send the whole server "back". No..if the RAID controller did really go bad...it's just a card. You take the card out...and get another one...preferable Fed EX..in my book. Hmmm..."3ware"...Ah! I've heard of them..they are part of AMCC now. Here's what they look like:

http://www.3ware.com/

Ouch. Major ouch. Good gravy..no...I wouldn't have one of those sitting around just in case. They cost $1K-$4K. Still....Fed Ex time. One-two weeks indeed.

>>Correction: Fed Ex same day time.

Bryon

Nobody ever said whole server back and if they did they were wrong. And we don't use 3ware cards in this server. But regardless of what card we use the backup box will most likely need to be rebuilt. In addition we and EVERYONE always recommends that you keep backups of your data regardless if your host does or does not, that is alone is just good practice. We are waiting for the new cards to come as these aren't 3ware cards (at the time this was built areca cards as they had a much faster/better card), in addition we will most likely be increasing the capacity of the backup system to larger drives. Once again we are truly sorry for your loss of data. If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected] And the backup server will be back online much sooner than 2-3 weeks the tech was mistaken.
    Last edited by jayglate; 11-21-2006 at 10:47 PM.
    Jay

I posted what your support guy said about the server and cards..but that's beside the point.

As for the site data...again, I have copies of all of the websites. What I don't have a backup of is the cubecart store nor the phpbb message board. My staff has repeatedly tried to back both of these areas up thru CPanel and it has NEVER worked and when the JVDS tech staff was told they ASSURED ME that it wasn't a problem because they had backups of everything (which I took to be true since the server had problems/died twice since we have been with you and each time it was brought to JVDS tech supports attention you used YOUR backups to get things up and running again).

Now you tell me I "should have asked for the FREE FTP backup" because if I did everything would be fine. Uh huh.

Jay I left you a private message on here and you said you would look into it and I haven't heard back. All I want to know...if you can refer back to the private message I sent you...is if you can find any backups..no matter how old, of the store and message board for the site I gave you. If not I need to know as soon as possible or if you think its on the server you are having fixed I need to know how long it will take to find out.

Just about everytime our sites go down it's because the server died or was overloaded or whatever..but I find it hard to belive that your backup servers as well as the regular server our info was on all "died" at the same time.

We need information...but it seem like you and your staff saying "everything died tough luck because you didn't as for FREE ftp backup" is supposed to fix everything.

Why am I not surprised to read this? If a company lets down their entire client base and then tries to mislead them to hide this fact, then you should expect them to do it again and again.

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=295027

They are in business only because not everybody knows their record.

Another question...if my VPS with VPSColo/Fortress/JVDS/whatever name they use is supposed to be FULLY MANAGED is this still my fault for not "asking" for "free" ftp backups (which I was told I had in the first place)?

I'm still rather perplexed that this whole thing happend in the first place and that noone at VPSColo/Fortress/JVDS/Et Al seems concerned. I am I the only client they have that this happend to this week or are there a few others who lost all of their data, through no fault of our own, and are just having to live with since our sites/sevices/cpanel/accounts have been down for a good part of a week and they havent even SET US BACK UP with our original reseller and cpanel accounts??? How can I reinstall websites WITHOUT ACCESS???? or even a server to put things on...come on people.

Everyone who contacted us was offered two options, 6 months free hosting or 1 month credit to their credit card. If you choose the 6 months free hosting they would have set you up on another vz box and gotten you going. So if you didn't answer us when we asked or you didn't even contact our support system regarding getting re-setup there is nothing we can do for you. And Asking questions HERE that you SHOULD be emailing us directly on DOESN'T help on bit. So email please [email protected] and get your free 6 months or a 1 month credit to your credit card or paypal.
    Jay

1. I'm asking other people in the business if my VPS was "fully managed" should I have had to ask for free ftp backups..which I don't even know would have helped..when I was told that you...my provider...did backups already.

2. I did ask your support people, via email, to set me back up and gave them the information but haven't heard anything back.

3. If I ask things HERE I seem to get some sort of answers. If I ask things by e-mail to [email protected] I get the run around.

EVEN YOU imply your tech people don't give me the right information since they told me the server was sent off and wouldn't be back for 2 to 3 weeks and then you came on here and said they were wrong.

Your offer of 6 months free (IF we stay with you) or 1 month credit (IF we leave) doesn't help at all.

If a client doesn't pay a service provider they get shut off. If the service provider doesn't provide the service they say they will the client gets screwed. I don't care how much someone pays for hosting or VPS...we rely on our clients to pay us so we can support our families and staff, and our clients WON'T pay us if their sites keep doing up and down OR are lost completely like they have now..which is the THIRD TIME we lost all of our data because of YOUR servers having problems.

Your offer of 6 months free doesn't help me because I don't have any clients to host with you any longer. They have heard enough excuses about their sites being down, lost, sucked into the black hole.

If any other company has VPS service and actually has a backup system that they use and doesn't blow up every other week please let me know so when I DO get new clients to replace the ones I lost I can have somewhere to host them at.

Your "we are dedicated" slogan is hogwash.

Jayglate,

1) Wouldnt you find what you say "..always recommends that you keep backups of your data regardless if your host does or does not, that is alone is just good practice..." and do a bit contradictionary ? ;-)

2) How are 6 months free hosting or a 1 month refund going to help the customer in a situation with lost data, orders. business image loss etc. ?

3) If you dont include at least weekly backups in the standard package than obviously your service sucks.
    I have been there before, I dont choose ANY service provider without backups anymore.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

For all the technical people this forum has it suprises me no one has pointed out the biggest misconception in this thread.

Raid controllers "ARE NOT" all seperate boards. Even 3Ware manufactures chips that have been put into OEM boards.

We use SuperMicro Servers that contain an OnBoard SCSI Raid Controller. If that controller were to go bad we would have to send the server in for service or have a new board drop shipped (probably new board).

The only comment that bothered me at all is "Where were the hot spares"?

But aside from that, computer's fail that is a fact of life. It is how we deal with these failures that help or cause us problems.

UPDATE:

13 days without service

6 days without an update from them regarding their reply of:

"I will see what we can do for you." and "We are going to try to recover the data which is why we are upgrading the system to a new box and such so we can keep the hd's" from Jay Silver

Does it normally take this long? Has anyone else who had/has services with these guys (JVDS.com/FortressITX/VPScolo) had their stuff get "lost" in the past 2 weeks (even though this is the SECOND time they have "lost" all of our data"? and is anyone actually getting money back from them?

I think I'm going to get a third job driving a bread truck since these guys keep screwing me over and I lose money every time. I wish I had all of my support conversations to post.

As far as I can tell 13 days without an email from you, as we told you to email us to have your account reinstated which it has been done for everyone else who requested. If you have a ticket # requesting it please pm it to me and we can see what the story is. But other than that, there isn't much of anything we can do for you without YOUR cooperation. Which so far you haven't given any. And it might very well take longer than 6 days to get the new backup server running, as it was ordered from a vendor here on this board 2 of them for a matter fact, and it was shipped, but that won't give you back your data. And if we can get your data back at all I don't know. So ONCE AGAIN contact us via proper methods to get your issues resolved. Brining your grievances here doesn't help YOU in the least.
    Jay

Wow...what a sad situation...

Ha

Jay...you don't need another email from me... I'm waiting to hear back from YOU remember? You said you would see what YOU could do about retrieving the data. I already said I don't want a credit or 6 months free...it's not worth it so that's why you didn't get an email asking for either of those.

And I know complaining on here doesn't help ME but maybe it will save someone else the mistake of paying YOU to host their sites when you guys keep having servers go down, lose data, don't backup when you say you do backupt, etc.

I've already moved to a host that takes care of their customers...I doubt if it's ok to "advertise" or promote them here so I won't. I'm not the one in the wrong here and I shouldn't have to email you every day when I'm waiting to hear back from you.

Nuff said. This thread can be closed if you want. Sorry it took over a month to reply but I just realized someone else commented.

im not suprised either...:X