Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

has google gone TOO far?

http://www.google.com/interstitial?u...ng/177256.html

you "should" end up at a google page.

then it goes to a page that says, in part, this

You landed on this page because members of the public reported this website to StopBadware.org as hosting or distributing badware. Though our researchers have not yet reviewed this website, once they do, this warning page will be replaced with a detailed report on the site's badware.

this is really surprising to me.

reeks of spamhaus style vigilante-ism... dont like it.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

So it protects people from badware? What is Badware?
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

I got that a few days ago as well. But, it's not Google, it's StopBadware.org. And I have yet to see a site that is not "shady" and get that, so it seems to be doing a terrific job at that.

I was surprised at well, but I really think it will help users that are not as tech savvy as us.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Gone too far? No, you can still visit the page if you want and it says so.

reeks of spamhaus style vigilante-ism... dont like it.
    Haha.

I got it the other day too, and I am very happy they are doing it.

Soon sites are going to figure out they will loose traffic from it, and straighten up.

Good job Google, again!

Soon sites are going to figure out they will loose traffic from it
    I prefer they lose traffic rather than having loose traffic running all over the internet.

It doesn't say how the site gets flagged other than "reports from the public" but I assume some sort of check is made before this happens. I like the idea, too.
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

I think it's a crock of s**** and just a baby step into censorship on the web.
    Show your reciprocal links on your website. eReferrer

Let me clarify that a little (can't edit my post to add this).

Here's what I think.

If it's illegal, take the site down. If it's not, leave it alone. If it's questionable? don't visit the site yourself but how dare you think you can decide where I should and shouldn't go.

I don't need anyone making decisions on what sites and pages I go to. I also don't want their opinion. Offer it as a service? ok. Then it's an agreement. but to just blatantly do it?

Watch for Google to make one mistake that's going to cost them a fortune in court over it.

1st amendment anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by e-places
    I think it's a crock of s**** and just a baby step into censorship on the web.
    Then, don't list your sites on Google.

The fact of the matter is, spam and malware are killing the internet. Anything that a big company like Goggle can do to help fix this, is great IMO.

And as far a censorship, its not censoring anybody, only warning.

Here's what I think.

If it's illegal, take the site down. If it's not, leave it alone. If it's questionable? don't visit the site yourself but how dare you think you can decide where I should and shouldn't go.

I don't need anyone making decisions on what sites and pages I go to. I also don't want their opinion. Offer it as a service? ok. Then it's an agreement. but to just blatantly do it?

Watch for Google to make one mistake that's going to cost them a fortune in court over it.

1st amendment anyone?
    Totally agree,

But I think we're entering a stage where soon our Amendments may not mean anything anymore,
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

They are not deciding anything for you, they are warning you. Then YOU DECIEDE, knowing that people have had issues with this site, and a review proved the site has unwelcome malware on it.

That's their problem. They think its a perfectly acceptable thing to do, so only time will tell if it will cost them.

1st amendment anyone?
    Maybe you do not understand the type of service this is, they are not warning users about content, but rather programs that could be installed onto their computer without their knowledge, which could case big headaches.

Google has the right to blacklist anyone they want. It's not like they're preventing you from accessing it. You just copy and paste the link into your address bar, and go on your way.

1st amendment anyone?
    So the first amendment doesn't apply to google?

The first amendment protects the people from having the government restrict their speech. So, it doesn't apply in this case.

It's not restricting you from anything, just don't use google to view the website.

Quote Originally Posted by csparks
    Maybe you do not understand the type of service this is, they are not warning users about content, but rather programs that could be installed onto their computer without their knowledge, which could case big headaches.
    Yup, you're right. I thought that's what it meant. hence the 1st amendment. I read it wrong.

The first amendment covers freedom of assembly and freedom of the press and freedom of religion and freedom of speech. so by censoring it would have certainly been covered. But I reread it and see that it's not.

wups

This isnt new but its good to see google trying to protect people from lowlife scum.

I think there should (if there isnt already) be a policy inplace to contact the domains whois records to let them know they have been listed.

We have Spamhaus for email
    And Google for search results.
    Also OpenDNS for direct connections.

All theseservices are totally optional to the user so I see it as a good thing the Internet could be so much more if it wernt for Malware and Spam.
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan541
    This isnt new but its good to see google trying to protect people from lowlife scum.

I think there should (if there isnt already) be a policy inplace to contact the domains whois records to let them know they have been listed.

We have Spamhaus for email
    And Google for search results.
    Also OpenDNS for direct connections.

All theseservices are totally optional to the user so I see it as a good thing the Internet could be so much more if it wernt for Malware and Spam.
    opendns is not for direct connections. it is only for dns lookups.

Why are you mad at Google?

It is serving the purpose here. Google is a search engine, and it finds what you're looking for. In this case, you just have copy and paste the URL to your browser.

They just don't want to support spam and malware, by putting a direct hyperlink to their site...
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

No, I don't think Google has gone too far. They are providing a service free of charge, and therefore are fully within their rights. If you don't like it, then you can use another search engine which doesn't warn users of possible malware being installed on your computer from visiting a certain website.

I think even if Google censored searches, they would be within their rights. They wouldn't be prohibiting you from looking at a website, provided you knew the URL, but simply not linking to that website from their search engine. It's a big technical difference. And again, you would be free to use another search engine which didn't have such practices.

1. the public has reported this and no one has verified it. THAT is problematic.

2. i have paid for software that protects me. that was MY choice.

3. if what they say is true then WHY does google have them listed as #3 on their search engine? why not remove it all together? THAT would be their right to do. i dont remember seeing any disclaimer that they were going to do this.

4. ok, so i dont like you, im going to get some friends together and report YOUR site. great way to eliminate the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Stephens
    1. the public has reported this and no one has verified it. THAT is problematic.

2. i have paid for software that protects me. that was MY choice.

3. if what they say is true then WHY does google have them listed as #3 on their search engine? why not remove it all together? THAT would be their right to do. i dont remember seeing any disclaimer that they were going to do this.

4. ok, so i dont like you, im going to get some friends together and report YOUR site. great way to eliminate the competition.
    1. Actually, according to this page the reports are verified by their staff: http://www.stopbadware.org/home/reports

2. Who's forcing you to use google?

3. I don't know if you know this or not, but google doesn't manually create each of it's pages.

4. see point 1.

Over reacting and talking rubbish again.

i have paid for software that protects me. that was MY choice.
    Congrats, Google decided that that link on their site goes to that page warning the user of a possible security concern with the website. That is their choice which they can make if they want to. If you go to the actual site directly you will see that Google isn't doing anything with that, just on their own site.

Here's what I think.

1st amendment anyone?
    So following from your logic, the film censorship board is a complete outrage of our rights then? If I want to watch something, I should be allowed to watch something without anyone telling me anything shouldn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    So following from your logic, the film censorship board is a complete outrage of our rights then? If I want to watch something, I should be allowed to watch something without anyone telling me anything shouldn't I?
    youre right, when i go to the movies, google reps should be standing right there telling me i shouldnt go in because something in the film may be against their ethics.

spyware/malware is bad.

so, why is it listed on google at all? to get traffic for the badware site?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast