Hostgator Semidedicated Review

I used Hostgator for a few years (believe it was a little less than three) and just moved hosts recently. For the first part of my time with them I was on a dedicated server. It ran very well, I kept it updated, and the few times I needed support they were quick and often solved the problem within 15-30 minutes. Since December of 2005 I was on their semi-dedicated plan. Again, the server usually responded well and support was always good. Around October of 2006 I started noticing performance issues, with the CPU going up to 3 or 4. From what I could tell, the load was not affecting my site, so I did not concern myself. Around the end of October the load became an issue, sometimes reaching 8 or 9. I checked for anything I was doing that could be causing it, then submitted a trouble ticket. It took some follow on, but after within a day i received word back from a tech that he had done some tweaking. After that the load would sit right around 1, rarely going as high as 2.

So why did I leave? Well, a great deal of it is that I could not see the site from the USMC network. From what I can tell, a large part of Hostgator is blocked (at least, the IPs and domains I checked on). In my case, a quick bit of research revealed that a couple of adult sites were (or had been) hosted on the same IP as my site. It was something I wanted to resolve, so I moved to a new host.

Hostgator's support was good and timely and the network was very stable.

It sucks that you had to move as it sounds like you weren't having many issues and the issues you had were solved.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

HG proves itself time after time! Too bad the marine servers blocked your website....
    hi there!

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela
    HG proves itself time after time! Too bad the marine servers blocked your website....
    Yeah . . . Anyway, thanks for stopping by to let us know your experience.
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

Quote Originally Posted by Badmovies
    So why did I leave? Well, a great deal of it is that I could not see the site from the USMC network. From what I can tell, a large part of Hostgator is blocked (at least, the IPs and domains I checked on). In my case, a quick bit of research revealed that a couple of adult sites were (or had been) hosted on the same IP as my site. It was something I wanted to resolve, so I moved to a new host.
    Why couldn't hostgator move your host to a different IP address?

-JJ

Quote Originally Posted by JJThomas
    Why couldn't hostgator move your host to a different IP address?

-JJ
    That was tried, but after checking it appeared that large parts, if not all, of Hostgator's IP range are blocked by the USMC firewall.

Do you know the reason?
    They use The Planet, a huge DC, I found odd that the USMC is blocking all those IPs.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Do you know the reason?
    In my case, a quick bit of research revealed that a couple of adult sites were (or had been) hosted on the same IP as my site. It was something I wanted to resolve, so I moved to a new host.
    I believe that is why his IP is banned.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

So why did I leave? Well, a great deal of it is that I could not see the site from the USMC network. From what I can tell, a large part of Hostgator is blocked (at least, the IPs and domains I checked on).
    Wasn't there any attempt by HG to get these IP's cleared?

In my case, a quick bit of research revealed that a couple of adult sites were (or had been) hosted on the same IP as my site. It was something I wanted to resolve, so I moved to a new host.
    I was under the impression that HostGator host adult and non-adult content on separate servers. However sharing your IP with adult sites does not necessarily mean that it will get your IP blocked.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyNetHosting
    Wasn't there any attempt by HG to get these IP's cleared?

I was under the impression that HostGator host adult and non-adult content on separate servers. However sharing your IP with adult sites does not necessarily mean that it will get your IP blocked.
    Not that I know of. And, that would probably take a good bit of work. Once an IP gets on that block list, it tends to stay there. I cannot get the full reason(s) why that chunk of IP's are blocked, only verify that every single one I checked on was. Probably about a dozen, randomly sampled as possible.

I would also point out that Hostgator.com is blocked as well.

Hostgator's support was good and timely and the network was very stable. <--- Ya, your choose is right. HostGator is great

Quote Originally Posted by Badmovies
    Not that I know of. And, that would probably take a good bit of work. Once an IP gets on that block list, it tends to stay there. I cannot get the full reason(s) why that chunk of IP's are blocked, only verify that every single one I checked on was. Probably about a dozen, randomly sampled as possible.

I would also point out that Hostgator.com is blocked as well.
    If onw was looking to see if a potential host is showing up on lists as being blocked, how would one get that info?

I imagine hosts are far from eager to admit they are being blocked....

Badmovies, that you for the non emotionally charged review. I take it as a mark of objectivity.

I was under the impression that HostGator host adult and non-adult content on separate servers.
    No, adult sites share the server with non adult ones. Separating them would be a logistical nightmare, considering HG's current offer.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 11-19-2006 at 11:53 AM.

Is theplanet.com blocked as well?

USMC = ?
    I searched on Google and only came up with US Marine Corps......
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

The IP block may not necessarily be the fault of HostGator, but the previous owner of the IP before they had purchased the server from The Planet. I am not sure if they have their own Class C or not, but i dont think they do.

Matt
    Matthew Rosenblatt, and I do lots of things.
    Currently a Master Electrician on Broadway.
    My company, BurstAV, specializes in A/V Systems Design and integration.
    I also own ConcertCables. We build power/data cables for the entertainment industry.

US Marine Corps is correct.

I attempted to reach theplanet.com today and found that it is also blocked. I did not research it any farther than that. It appears that entire IP range is blocked. If I had to guess why, then it would be that a large number of "infractions" were coming from the IP range - be it adult sites, spam, or other things that would be flagged. Because it is a commercial network, the NOC just banned the entire IP range.