Thread: seg fault

seg fault

hi,

i have a amd athlon xp 1900 server (i just got it 4-5 days ago)

now these are knwon to have a lot of hardware problems (e.g. when you do something like tar xzvf filename.tar.gz it will seg fault... and give kernel errors in /var/log/messages)

When i first got the server, i put lots of load on it, and everything seemed fine.....

ive been using it for 4 days straight now.

Usually when you put lots of load, they eventually break. e.g. seg fault, or crash.

but this one didn't! i was so happy to see it was actually a good server

then today, i went to go copy a 200mb dir to another dir, and it seg faulted....

then i put lots of load on it, it was fine...??

so im saying
    it seems like this is a good server, maybesomething just caused it to seg fault

Is this a heat issue?

this may be a shot in the dark, but here goes:

I was thinking maybe when the server overheats, it will do funny things like seg fault.....?? e.g. when it is over heating, if you just happen to be using it, and you did something like say......-- > tar xzvf filename.tar.gz it'll seg fault because its over heating?

but when its not over heating it wont seg fault

i may be wrong, but can anyone shed some light on this?
    Last edited by clocker1996; 06-24-2002 at 05:03 AM.

did u test your ram?

Re: seg fault

Originally posted by clocker1996
    I was thinking maybe when the server overheats, it will do funny things like seg fault.....?? e.g. when it is over heating, if you just happen to be using it, and you did something like say......-- > tar xzvf filename.tar.gz it'll seg fault because its over heating?
    When an Intel CPU overheats, it'll slow down (I think by half). You'll be able to notice the difference. It shouldn't cause a seg fault as it'll still process normally, just a heck of a lot slower (and it'll beep like mad, too).

When an AMD CPU overheats, it just fries (ever see Tom's Hardware's demo? hehe). I don't know what happens when one of these goes.

Like AlaskanWolf mentioned, you may want to test your RAM. It's possible that during your load you aren't using the portion of the RAM that is bad, but during your file transfer you are.
    Alex Llera
    Professional Server Management
    FreeBSD|Linux|HSphere|Cpanel|Plesk