Thread: Php Issue

Question Php Issue

I don't know whats wrong, but once I moved my scripts from php version 4.4.2 to 5.1.2, this part of my coding seems to be having issues... Could someone take a look at it and tell me whats wrong? Whenever it prints the $line, it doesn't print the ip address...

$counter = "statistics.txt";
    $today = getdate();
    $month = $today[month];
    $mday = $today[mday];
    $year = $today[year];
    $current_date = $mday . $month . $year;
    $fp = fopen($counter, "a");
    $line = $REMOTE_ADDR . "|" . $mday . $month . $year . "\n";
    $size = strlen($line);
    fputs($fp, $line, $size);
    fclose($fp);

Thanks in advance...

Change:

PHP Code:
    $line $REMOTE_ADDR "|" $mday $month $year "\n"
    for:

PHP Code:
    $get_ip = (!empty($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : ((!empty($_ENV['REMOTE_ADDR'])) ? $_ENV['REMOTE_ADDR'] : getenv("REMOTE_ADDR"));
    $get_ip preg_replace("/[^\.0-9]+/"""$get_ip);
    substr($get_ip050);
    $line = (isset($get_ip)) ? $get_ip """|" $mday $month $year "\n"
    Last edited by horizon; 11-17-2006 at 07:47 PM.

I tried that... but then it doesn't print out the date... line ends up printing just the ip address. Thank you though... that got me closer... I think I can get it from here... thanks
    Last edited by chenster000; 11-17-2006 at 11:43 PM.

date('d m y'); maybe?

No offence to horizon, but his regular expressions and such are unneeded for this type of script and will slightly slow down the script.

Your script can be solved in an easier to understand way:

PHP Code:
    $counter "statistics.txt";
    $ip $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
    $current_date date('j.n.Y');
    // j is day, 1 to 31. n is month, 1 to 12. Y is year, 1999 etc.
    // More examples: http://php.net/date
    $fp fopen($counter"a");
    $line $ip "|" $current_date "\n";
    $size strlen($line);
    fputs($fp$line$size);
    fclose($fp); 
    Also, as no one mentioned, the reason your script did not work on the new PHP 5 is that register globals was turned off for security reasons.

A little verification wouldn't be bad:

PHP Code:
    $ip $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; 
    for:

PHP Code:
    $ip = (!empty($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : ""

That doesn't make sense. $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] is never empty by default, and all your code does is set it to empty if it's already empty.

all your code does is set it to empty if it's already empty
    Incorrect. What my code does is checking if it's 'not' empty. If it's not, the IP Address is being called. If it is empty, it will not call any command.

Althought, what I should of thought is this:

PHP Code:
    $ip = (isset($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'])) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : getenv('REMOTE_ADDR'); 
    The reason why it's being checked is for low server configuration that does not allow 'all usage' of $_SERVER variable (due to some restrictions that might be added). In this case, it will call the getenv function in case it fails.

I'm curious - what's "low server configuration" and what's "all usage of $_SERVER variable" or are you just making stuff up because of lack of knowledge? Just stop giving away wrong advices and posting unnecessary code..if you can't learn adequate programming practices, don't enforce other people to use them. Thank you for understanding.
    Dyslexics Have More Fnu

Well, if you're going all out, don't forget to check $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs