Northern NJ

Unencrypting windows encrypted data?

A while back, I tried encrypting a data folder on the hard drive in order to see what it did exactly. I saved the key, then deleted it. Now I can't access the pictures, and can't find the key.

Is there ANYWAY to get these files viewable again? The pictures are all there, I just can't view them.

Check out And please check out our forums for fun Animation/Technology talk

If you are the original person (account) that ecrypted the file, you should be able to remove that encryption.

From the MS Knowledgebase:

You must be the original encrypter of the file or a designated recovery agent for the file to use the following steps. If you are not authorized to remove encryption, you receive the following error message:
    Error Applying Attributes
    An error occurred applying attributes to the file:

Access is denied
    To remove encryption from a file: 1.Use Windows Explorer to browse to the location of the encrypted file that you want to decrypt. 2.Right-click the encrypted file, and then click Properties. 3.On the General tab, click Advanced. 4.Click to clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, click OK, and then click OK again.
    I believe that the key file is for removing the encryption if you are not the original person (account) that encrypted the file in the first place. It can also be used to give a third party access to the contents of the file.

I could be wrong on this though.