Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Cards?

Holiday Cards?

I wanted to get a poll of hosting owners that send out holiday cards to thier customers. Just a brief show of hands so I can get an idea it it would be a good thing to do this year for our clients?
    Dimension Servers / Toll-Free: 1-888-750-6942
    RapidSSL Cert Included with ALL Reseller & Ultra Accounts
    24x7x365 Unbeatable Technical Support!
    Shared CPanel Hosting // Reseller WHM Hosting Solutions

Nope. Costs too much and probably doesn't make a difference as far as whether or not the client will stay with you. We always send out a holiday email though.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I've been thinking about do it this year, but I am still on the fence about it.

Ask yourself what you will gain from doing it. I have NEVER stayed with a company based on the fact that they sent me a Christmas card. In fact, almost all Christmas cards that were mass-sent to me get promptly chucked in the trash. I don't display them with our friends and family cards at all.

Seriously, figure out what the business benefit and cost will be.

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Christmas Cards

jmcallister,

All of our clients will receive christmas cards this year; however, I am not doing them in bulk and they will not have the company logo. There will actually be Happy Holidyas. I have had clients with us since we opened up almost two years ago and I think that should be rewarded and known that we do appreciate their business.

Just an example when two of hour clients went in for surgery Christmas cards were sent out. I received responses from both how much they appreciated that there was a company who CARED for them as clients and then they proceeded to remember that.

It is worth while if you have a small client base and they have been with you for a while. Stories do get around and it is known when a company cares.
    Synersis Media | Boutique Technology Marketing Agency

I should have mentioned that I was only thinking about doing it for a few of the long standing clients. I wasn't planning on mailing every client.

I might do the email instead though. Probably will get filtered as spam though. :/

i do it every year.

why not????

clients send us cards.

http://www.pens.com/pens/Product_Det...CardsCDImprint

that includes a christmas music CD imprinted with your message/company name.

if you cant afford to spend 1.55 per client, you may be having a problem!

i strongly discourage the scrooge attitude and throwing out cards that people spent the time to send to you.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

Yes, we've been doing it every year for the last 7 years. I'm looking at a big box of cards to be signed right now (sitting in the corner of my office). It's an inexpensive way to show them you are grateful for their business.
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Ask yourself what you will gain from doing it. I have NEVER stayed with a company based on the fact that they sent me a Christmas card. In fact, almost all Christmas cards that were mass-sent to me get promptly chucked in the trash. I don't display them with our friends and family cards at all.

Seriously, figure out what the business benefit and cost will be.

--Tina
    I think it might not work for you since you are a web master and if hosting a site know what you are a doing, a lot of normal people (not that you are not normal ) are going to stay with a host a lot longer and put up with a lot because they feel cared for and a christmas card to those type of people might be of great benefit.

For web master type people I think we could care less, I know I wouldn't care but my parents/grandparents/nontech small biz ownsers would like it if they had a site and their host sent them a card.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Actually, from a consumer point of view:

How many here actually stay with a company because they sent you a Christmas card?

How many of you actually keep/display a Christmas card that a company sends you?

Yes, its a nice gesture. I'm not disputing that. But, does it have any real proven value?

To me, it sort of feels like Company X is taking advantage of a holiday to say "Hey, we're thinking of you...please continue to send us your money!".

--Tina

Actually, from a consumer point of view:

How many here actually stay with a company because they sent you a Christmas card?

How many of you actually keep/display a Christmas card that a company sends you?

Yes, its a nice gesture. I'm not disputing that. But, does it have any real proven value?

To me, it sort of feels like Company X is taking advantage of a holiday to say "Hey, we're thinking of you...please continue to send us your money!".

--Tina
    This is my point, this forum is full of web masters and tech people, not normal people. Of course we don't care but normal non tech people do IMO, I know companies who send my parents cards get note and have been mentioned to me.

--Tina
    I'm sure there are a few people who feel the same. But the key here is: Its a testament to how they run their business.....not a "look at me, I care about you" thing. (at least I hope thats not why people send out cards)
    Kenneth R Taylor
    Inet7 Internet Serivces
    Web & Application Hosting Services
    http://www.inet7.com

well, if you are doing it only to try and keep customers, what is the point.

you should be doing it because you like your clients and value their business.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

We do this. We even ear-mark the clients who we talk with often to receive more than just a 'happy holidays' type message.

We don't do it to prove anything, or to show off, we do it because we simply like our clients.

Another bonus to this, is you get to find out who's been keeping up to date contact information and who hasn't!

Realistically, we probably spent about $3 or so per client to do it last year, and hey, maybe we're crazy, but it's just one of the things that I enjoyed doing the most, so we'll probably keep doing it.

Plus, it definitely didn't hurt being in chat with a potential client and having someone come in and say 'Thanks for the christmas card!!' But that's just one of those nice side bonuses.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large

(edited)

I actually just realized that any way I explain it is going to end up making me look uncaring, which is probably why the people posting here are all about "We do it to be nice cuz we love our customers so much".

--Tina
    Last edited by Tina J; 11-18-2006 at 05:33 PM.

All "warm fuzzy" feelings aside. Yes, sending out Christmas cards makes us all feel like we're spreading Holiday cheer. However, how many of you received a Christmas card from, say, your bank or your car dealership, and thought "Wow. This is so cool that they sent me a card!". Personally, I don't even read them and they usually end up in the junk mail pile at the bottom of the trash bin.

My point is that its a nice thing to do, but FROM A BUSINESS SENSE, it can't be very cost-effective and probably doesn't serve a purpose (unless perhaps you have few enough customers that you can actually hand sign and jot a personal note in each one). I don't think its going to sway customers to stay with you or gain their loyalty.

PS: Anyone who says "Yeah, we just do it to be nice. We don't care about the business aspect of sending out cards." is either full of it or doesn't understand cost/benefit analysis.

--Tina
    Sigh I don't feel like you are reading my posts, I'll post how its valuable "FROM A BUSINESS SENSE" again:

1. For clients like say my parents, or small business owners or anyone non technical, choosing a host is not easy, you will retain their business more with a holiday card, they say oh look this person cares about my busienss. Or say you have some downtime, they probably will give more leeway if they know you are a good company, aka you send out cards showing you care.

2. Let me say this again, you are not the person to be influenced by a holiday card, neither am I, we are web masters who know are way around hosting, we don't' have loyalty except to performance. I doubt most of your customers know that much about hosting, please see above.

3. keeping contact info current

4. can also include a christmas coupon or other marketing info in the card.

5. increase word of mouth marketing, people spread your name, show card or like lots of people leave cards in house over holidays when relatives visit. so say your uncle is like oh i hear you got a website now, and the person is like blah blah and then he asks who host is and you can show them card or so on.

6. Showing people you care is marketing in some ways, some companies on here do it for the right reasons but its still marketing.

7. its cheap per customer, esp with word of mouth and upgrading and so on.

Online cards are nice too probably just not as good. If you want more info on the benefits go look at some case studies on marketing sherpa... marketingsherpa.com

http://www.marketingsherpa.com/barri...contentID=2550
    http://www.marketingsherpa.com/barri...contentID=2550

(edited)

I actually just realized that any way I explain it is going to end up making me look uncaring, which is probably why the people posting here are all about "We do it to be nice cuz we love our customers so much".

--Tina
    I wasn't implicating that we hand-note each card, because, honestly, we don't know all the clients well enough to do so, but we do know a good many of them, and we would very much like them to know that we do appreciate them.

Now, if we're going to send cards to a handfull of clients, ... what would happen if one of those clients mentioned it in chat when another client who we don't know so well happened by, and the client thanked us for the card?

Whoops, now you've alienated one.

So, because we do want to be sure the clients we see regularly do get cards, we send them to absolutely everyone, because we wouldn't want to leave anyone out as well. Sure, it's silly, and it takes money to do, as well as time, but they are hand written and hand addressed, even the ones who get generic seasons greetings.

It's one of those 'personal touches'.

Now, if we were doing address labels and using a stamp to sign the card, sure, skip it, because yeah, I do toss those. But when I receive a hand addressed card, I typically give it a good look over, and we got many thanks from our clients last year when we did it, so why not keep it up?

Also, from a business point of view, in the next year or two we will have some other systems and services in place, and it would be a great opertunity to include gift certificates / cross promotions for those other services.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs