Need CMS suggestions

I am looking suggestions for a Content Management System. Post Nuke looked interesting three years ago. My main requirements are modules for password-protect photo galleries; accessibility by group (friends vs family vs professional); community forum; and active development community. I prefer mySQL and PHP, and an open source solution.

Please give me a brief update on new web development technologies like AJAX, Flash driven CMS, and social/community site. I am not looking for a detail thesis; just the desirable technologies in a CMS.

i am a big fan of drupal and that would do everything you requested.

another one you should look into is joomla.

they are both packed with modules and very deverse.

e107! e107!
    http://www.e107.org

Can't go wrong with it -- I've been an avid user of it for .. 3? 4? years now and have loved every minute of it!

Throughout that time I've had thorough experience with just about every other solution out there and nothing is even remotely on the same level.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

e107 has quite a learning curve... I'd suggest joomla or Mambo for your requirements. or subdreamer if you wanna pay $50,- per license.
    hi there!

I would say that e107 is less of a learning curve to joomla.

when choosing a cms it is very much down to personal opinion.

best thing to do is visit www.opensourcecms.com and just play with the cms demos until you find one which suits you.

e107 is quite simply the best CMS I have ever worked with. The possibilities are limitless with it, and the documentation is unending. Try e107 you will not be disapointed.

Cool

Loved drupal. Next are joomla /mambo

@drkvamp: I've tried it, and was disappointed with it Didn't seem to like the whole e107 thing...
    hi there!

A big up and comer is MODx... setting itself more as a Content Management Framework, than a CMS... giving you the functionality you need with the flexibility and room to do with it as you wish or need. You can plug an existing design into it probably easier than anything... simply drop a few special tags into your design and you are ready to roll. If it doesn't meet your needs today, I'd certainly recommend playing with it and keeping an eye open on where things are headed.
    SEO Focused Web Design - Identity Developments - it's not about websites, it's about your identity.

|| The game has changed..... Internet Marketing 4 Ps 2.0 ||

MODx is a Etomite Fork, I prefer CMS Made Simple. That is just what it says: simple.
    hi there!

I enjoy Joomla, I used to use e107 but the templates available for them is not good. Paid or free.
    My Portfolio: www.matthewsauk.com

I really like postnuke, but you have to constantly watch for new security updates.
    Three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population

Thanks for the suggestions. Now, I have a better starting point into looking at the options. Drupal and Joomla look interesting and may suit my needs. Should I make any other considerations when delving into these solutions? My web development skills are average (yet my technical acumens are high). Does any parity, which will allows you to move from one solution to the next, exist? This question may seem ambiguous, yet my main curiosity refers to switching for one solution to another like switching from the PC to the MAC. Is a switch even possible with any CMS?

PostNuke was a great CMS three years, yet I found the templates really difficult to customize and at the time most templates were table based. The code was unorganized and difficult to learn as well. I spent a good deal of time formatting the code for readability.