Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Linux or Windows Host - Does it Matter?

Hi...

I'm a newbie and not very computer literate. Shopping for cheap hosting I notice the Linux servers are always cheaper, sometimes by a great deal.

My home computer is winXP.

I'm currently using a Linux server (on Intersabre) and I find nothing wrong with it.

But I'm going to move for a better deal and just thought I'd enquire of the knowledgeable guys before I do so.

regards,

ab

If you are using asp or asp.net technolgy to develop your web application, you will need to use windows platform. Else you can use Linux.

It doesn't matter what operating system your home pc or your website visitors PC is running on.

Well, I believe its up to you to decide whats better but I can tell you what really stands out about Windows, and I'm sure someone here could fill in on the Linux side.

Windows is mainly for users which want ASP/ASP.Net support or a MS SQL Database. Windows hosting is more expensive, because the host must pay for licenses unlike Linux. One prime advantage with Windows is it allows each site to run in its own process, so if one site crashes or has major problems it can't affect other sites hosted on the same server.

Windows also supports every language and technology which Linux supports, but many PHP developers still prefer Linux. The security issues that were once highly talked about in Windows are no more since the release of Windows 2003 Server.

How much is windows licence?

hmm i thought windows was around $30-70/mo ? or sometimes free from most hosts I think linux is a better patform as you can use cpanel on it

For a montly license yes, but the actual license cost is really $500+ for the standard version, and $1000+ for the enterprise (if you plan on running more than 4GB of ram). Also don't forget the MS SQL Server 2005 licensing .

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    For a montly license yes, but the actual license cost is really $500+ for the standard version, and $1000+ for the enterprise (if you plan on running more than 4GB of ram). Also don't forget the MS SQL Server 2005 licensing .
    The cost of retail licenses is irrelevant, any shared server license is paid monthly. Windows is not expensive and to be honest any host that uses the Windows license cost to justify high prices is kidding themselves. There are expensive licenses for some software, but Windows is not one of them.

If I'm going to by windows licence for my future dedicated server. How much will I pay?

I agree there, I am a registered MS partner, and their licensing is NOT as expensive as everybody would believe. Granted, there is a cost involved, but it is not outrageous.

Also, I have not seen drastic price differences between comperable Linux/MS hosting plans, maybe a few dollars, but nothing more.

Unless you need to have ASP or ASP.NET there is no real reason to choose windows over a linux solution, however you should see no real difference in performance either. At that point it just becomes a $ decision.

Quote Originally Posted by NameServer
    If I'm going to by windows licence for my future dedicated server. How much will I pay?
    If you are going to own the server yourself? Probably around $1000 I would guess. I haven't looked at individual licensing for windows in a while. Unless you become an MS partner, and then it becomes stupid cheap.

You don't actually pay the licensing for the software on the dedicated server if you just have a dedicated hosting plan. You just pay whatever they charge you per month to use the server.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiHost-Wullie
    Windows is not expensive and to be honest any host that uses the Windows license cost to justify high prices is kidding themselves.
    No one said anything about high prices, we're talking about higher prices -- $1 - $3 more on average per month.

Thanks for the interest in my question. I appreciate it.

My home pc OS is relevant inasmuch as I develop my websites and test them on it - using IIS, Mysql, phpadmin. If none of this makes any difference to my Linux host then okay... it's irrelevant. And I've found none so far.

But then you immediately point to asp which, being on this platform, I could easily have blundered into.

I'll take it that it doesn't matter as long as I avoid asp.

That's from the developmental point of view.

Next point of view might well be expense. I was referring to, for instance, 'Start Logic' who offer 50G space, 750Gig Bandwidth and 10 domains for $5.95/month on Linux but only offer 2 Gig space, 60Gig Bandwidth for $9.95/month on Windows.

On my shopping around that's the only one I've kept a record of, I see now, but I'm sure I saw other examples.

The next point of view would be features/usability which nobody has mentioned much though there was one mention of Linux as offering cpanel. I use cpanel with both my hosts and didn't realise Windows doesn't offer it. I'm not sure how significant that is because I don't know what Windows offers for management instead of cpanel - maybe it is even better?

Generally this is no big deal for me because I'm not running any servers nor am I running any big sites or making any money, doing any business... I'm strictly a small time hobbyist. So it looks to me like you're saying, overall, that I am better off with Linux, which is cool, because that's where I'm at.

Thanks for the input.

regards,

ab

Linux!!! Windows servers have more problems available to them, like virii (viruses) and more!

If you end up going Windows, I warn you about Helm. It's simple. Too simple. To the point where problems are harder to fix.
    Mark A. Mutti, Los Angeles
    mark.mutti@phirefast.com / (818) 358-1161
    PhireFast: Drama-free Hosting, Awesome Support (Since 2004)

Quote Originally Posted by markfrompf
    Windows servers have more problems available to them, like virii (viruses) and more.
    For newbie admins maybe. I run 7 windows boxes at home, 3 of them are servers. No virus problems, no spyware, no issues at all. Really, if you have a good admin team running the server, it makes NO difference, windows or linux.

Again, advantage to using Windows based servers: ASP/ASP.NET, ability to combine MySQL with ASP apps, have a domain using PHP and another using ASP. Etc

Disadvantage: a price differential, which is usually less than $5/mo (come on now, we REALLY aren't breaking the bank here...)

Quote Originally Posted by markfrompf
    If you end up going Windows, I warn you about Helm. It's simple. Too simple. To the point where problems are harder to fix.
    Too simple making it harder to fix problems? Helm does not integrate into any applications on the server so if you have problems fixing an issue with an application, it's either due to the application itself or your lack of knowledge in the area. You cannot blame Helm because it doesn't do a server admin's job for them, it isn't supposed to.

Too simple making it harder to fix problems? Helm does not integrate into any applications on the server so if you have problems fixing an issue with an application, it's either due to the application itself or your lack of knowledge in the area. You cannot blame Helm because it doesn't do a server admin's job for them, it isn't supposed to.
    Agreed, it serves one purpose, gives customers a simple approach to all aspects of their account without having to bother support for a simple change.

Generally, if you are developing in PHP with MySQL then I would say that the Linux host may be a better choice. Although generally Windows can support PHP and MySQL too, it lacks one thing and that's Mod_Rewrite features. I found out that Mod_Rewrite is important because there is now emphasis on getting Search Engine Friendly URL. Windows does not support Mod_Rewrite natively.

Since you posted in this forum, I would believe that you are not looking for a dedicated server so leave the fixing of server issues to the web host. For all your intended purposes, you do fine on either Linux or Windows.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Lightbulb Ok.

Personally I think you should use Linux. Ive always used it and generally find Linux Hosting Better. Although I wouldnt ignore a good deal just because it was windows based. Consider both but I would advise Linux.

In the long run it will be cheaper to roll with a Linux server. PHP and MySQL are fantastic and FREE! You can even run ASP on some Linux servers. It's called Chili ASP by Sun Micro systems.

Windows server are however quick...but you don't get the FULL power of PHP with it.
    4cheapwebhosting.com - web hosting directory

Chili ASP is pretty outdated and rather costly and doesn't work as fast, does not fully support ASP and runs on Java.

With Windows, you can install the same PHP as the one in Linux. I never had any problem running a PHP site on Windows. The only thing missing is Mod_Rewrite which however is a function of Apache.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

I would recommend linux platform for hosting as well. And yes, if you run php & mysql , LINUX is your best choice! I don't like to use chilliASP on linux due to limited functions. If you want to run ASP or .net w/ mssql, go with windows. If you want to run PHP & mysql, go with linux. Simple as that.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

To manage a Dedicated server you need a bit more skill I find when dealing with linux then with windows.

Just what I found, more cause people are naturally more used to windows I guess.

I prefer windows though cause I find it runs better.

You would be fine with any platform, although I would go for linux, as windows always stuffs up (using XP) so it's natural to judge it's home OS to how they build the business OS.

And I've had no problems with linux, so naturally, I'm going to use a linux OS for my servers.

I run both linux and windows on my home machine, I do things on linux which windows can't do, and use windows for the very few things linux can't do.

But in a hosting environment, linux is the winner, IMO.

If you have problems, you can always hire a management company such as www.platinumservermanagement.com to do the things you can't do - or to just look after your server while you are busy doing other things.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Quote Originally Posted by Swizi
    You would be fine with any platform, although I would go for linux, as windows always stuffs up (using XP) so it's natural to judge it's home OS to how they build the business OS.
    Sorry to say, but that is one of the weakest arguments I have ever read for using Linux.

In fact, half of the reasons given in this thread are total nonsense, nothing has been provided to back them up. The OP asked if one or the other mattered, not what the hosts on WHT personally used because they "liked it better".

How many of the comments about using one or the other (apart from the correct one pointing to which programming languages were to be used) were made from people with experience of both? If you only have expererince of hosting on one OS, you are hardly in a position to say which is best. If you think one is better than the other and have nothing to back it up, again you are hardly in a position to tell others to choose one OS over the other because it is better. If it truly is better, why can't you tell us real reasons why?

Sorry to say, but that is one of the weakest arguments I have ever read for using Linux.

In fact, half of the reasons given in this thread are total nonsense, nothing has been provided to back them up. The OP asked if one or the other mattered, not what the hosts on WHT personally used because they "liked it better".

How many of the comments about using one or the other (apart from the correct one pointing to which programming languages were to be used) were made from people with experience of both? If you only have expererince of hosting on one OS, you are hardly in a position to say which is best. If you think one is better than the other and have nothing to back it up, again you are hardly in a position to tell others to choose one OS over the other because it is better. If it truly is better, why can't you tell us real reasons why?
    I have had experience with windows, and it has crashed lots, just like it's home OS.
    It does matter which OS you use, stability, and whether some features work with linux, and some may not work, yet will work for windows, as said in my post.

I was only giving my view, if you don't like it, lump it.
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast