Offering free game server for test.

Hi, I have plan to offer game server. So, I want to run a free game server for 5, 6 months before I'm offering it to public. Here I'm asking some advice.

1. What is optimum server requirement
    2. What is the best game control panel. Is it cPanel GS is fine?
    3. How I'm going to tell everybody I have give free test game server account.
    4. Can I use normal web hosting billing system such as modernbill, clientexec etc?

I forgot something. What OS is suitable for game server. I found Game-Panel, TCDmin are great game control panel.

1. not sure
    2.Alot of people have suggested TCAdmin when these question come up in the past
    3.Advertise on game sites like Ampednews.com forum ect........
    4.I seen most people say windows

(no real experiance with any of this just what i read)

good luck to yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyES
    4.I seen most people say windows
    I'm myself having a pc running as game server on Windows.

I have checked TCAdmin does not running on Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by helmishariff
    I have checked TCAdmin does not running on Linux.
    Yup exactly it never has and its been a year since i heard that TCAdmin will release something for Linux, and that release have never poped out yet , so yaa with Tcadmin your stuck with getting windows.

The thing about windows that i dont like is that you wont be able to give access to users to reboot their servers by logging into server without some control panel, but with linux you wont even need a control panel ( i never needed control panel to control my game servers). Simple Jail Shell works like a charm , and linux supports most game servers.

You can use clientexec,mb or even just paypal subscription if you like. One of the game provider i know uses www.perlbill.com .

Ultimately the question is " What sort of game you will be running and on what sort of hardware".

Cheers

I have experienced setup a game server on my pc but I need control panel so my staff can easily manage it.

Write your own then!

But anything you put onto the game server will have an impact on it whether you like it or not. the questions you have asked give me the impression you don't understand what games will have what impact on your server(s).

Honestly seek advice from those already in the business please or you'll spend ALL your time reconfiguring the server and never get clients!

We have been doing it years and it's still not perfect. Have a read of this thread at WHT and see if that helps.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=558410

In answer to point 3, you need to spread the word via gaming forums, IRC and newsgroups. Start leagues/cups (no you don't have to offer prizes), and interest will grow from there!
    It's a Savage Universe out there!
    Savage Hosting Ltd - CLS | MCP | ITIL | PRINCE2 | Nerd

Thanks for advice. Yes, It's took a lot of time if I configure it manually. So, I hope it more easy if I use control panel. So, it is why I'm going setup a game server 5, 6 month for testing. Also I never setup game server on Linux.
    Last edited by helmishariff; 11-16-2006 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Yup exactly it never has and its been a year since i heard that TCAdmin will release something for Linux, and that release have never poped out yet , so yaa with Tcadmin your stuck with getting windows.

The thing about windows that i dont like is that you wont be able to give access to users to reboot their servers by logging into server without some control panel, but with linux you wont even need a control panel ( i never needed control panel to control my game servers). Simple Jail Shell works like a charm , and linux supports most game servers.

You can use clientexec,mb or even just paypal subscription if you like. One of the game provider i know uses www.perlbill.com .

Ultimately the question is " What sort of game you will be running and on what sort of hardware".

Cheers
    Not entirely true. We actually have a fully working linux version, and have for some time. We even have clients that use it currently. However we do not advertise it or give it to the public due to the fact that it caused a huge influx in support since 90% of the people using it didn't know the first thing about running
    linux let alone gameserving, they simply chose the linux OS because it is free.
    www.tcadmin.com
    The Game Hosting Control Panel