Kevin Mitnick advices not to use IE

Paul Thurott says IE is a cancer on the web.
    CNET says don't use IE.
    Now Kevin himself says Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer
    IE7 is nine years behind the standards or wrong.
    But it works in IE!
    "IE is a cancer on the web" -- Paul Thurott
    "Avoid hacker-bait apps like Internet Explorer" -- Kevin Mitnick

Well I think we could of all come to this conclusion without Kevin’s help. The fact is windows is not stable and secure so why would ie be any different. MS regardless of what they say obviously do not care about security as everything they release is a security threat.

Sometimes we can use a little help when others say how wonderful IE is and they see no reason to change browsers. From a user's viewpoint, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with IE but for those of us who have to code for it, it's the worst browser on the planet.
    But it works in IE!

Now Kevin himself
    Kevin's not the brightest bulb on the tree.

And he's only coming to this conclusion now?
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

He was asked to write the article for Wired. That doesn't mean he just thunk it up yesterday.
    But it works in IE!

Quote Originally Posted by ksgaservices
    Well I think we could of all come to this conclusion without Kevin’s help. The fact is windows is not stable and secure so why would ie be any different. MS regardless of what they say obviously do not care about security as everything they release is a security threat.

Actually MS are spending millions improving security, additionally XP is a dated operating system just wait till Vista and I bet you'll start moaning about all the lockdowns.

Symantec seem to be complaining Vista is too secure, MS are listening to their clients to keep market share and better their products.

But yes, we all know that a vanilla Windows XP installation is insecure and very much exploitable.

What about the IE for Vista? Doesn't it have some special thing that disables IE's permission to write to the rest of the computer?

I think it's called Protected Mode or something..

Either way, Firefox is still all mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff - Exceed
    Symantec seem to be complaining Vista is too secure
    Symantec really need to clean up their own shop before they even open their mouth about vista or any other software application
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

Symantec's complaints are about Vista not allowing security companies having access to the internals of Vista so they can detect virii. Without the access, their software can't protect the system.

Of course, this could be construed as being evil by MS because they now have their own anti-virus software which does have access. Without it, MS could be Symantec, McAfee and all the others (who are also complaining) out of business.
    But it works in IE!

Smart move my Microsoft if it was meant to get rid of everyone else in the Security Market.

Not so smart. The EU is battling them and delaying the European market roll out and all the security companies are telling everyone to steer clear of Vista.
    But it works in IE!

No operating system or application is safe, some are more vulernable than others, I don't need some guy to tell me that.
    Personal Blog: Here | Currently Hosted By: GoDaddy | Twitter: @Quartz87

But I think they'd go out on top, but being Microsoft, they'll crack under the pressure.

Not to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Not so smart. The EU is battling them and delaying the European market roll out and all the security companies are telling everyone to steer clear of Vista.
    No, the EU does not want a delay in the European market... many companies in Europe were upset when this was even mentioned....

Why would the security companies tell everyone to steer clear of vista? That would not make any sense, since once a user upgrades to vista, they will have to upgrade their security product as well. This will equal more (some) sales for the security companies... Some of the AV companies are backing MS, and many seem to be backing off claims of MS not letting them into the system to do their job...

Thing I don't like about the entire MS getting into the AV business is the low prices that could put some vendors out of business. But, as many stated on a thread here, that might not be a bad thing. MacAfee and Norton need to get back to doing what they do and stop trying to be a one-stop-shop for everything security... I had to work on a system with Norton security (full suite) and it was a terrible experience.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

No, the EU does not want a delay in the European market...
    What I meant was the EU is requiring changes in Vista which has/will delay Vista rolling out in Europe. Their announcement of requirements should come any day now.
    Why would the security companies tell everyone to steer clear of vista? That would not make any sense, since once a user upgrades to vista, they will have to upgrade their security product as well.
    Like I said, the security companies can't provide as good a product because they aren't allowed access to the internals of Vista like they were allowed in XP. So they are saying Vista is less secure because their products can't provide the protection.
    Some of the AV companies are backing MS, and many seem to be backing off claims of MS not letting them into the system to do their job...
    Name one. MS initially said they were giving them the access they need but Symantec and McAfee both said, later, it was not what they needed.
    I had to work on a system with Norton security (full suite) and it was a terrible experience.
    I'll agree with you there.
    But it works in IE!

Linux is not the answer. Linux is the question. The answer is NO. Go Microsoft!
    You are aware that Microsoft has partnered with Novell and their Linux distribution while Oracle is now distributing Linux? Novell can now enter any MS shop and talk Linux.
    But it works in IE!

Everyone knows about the security flaws in IE, it's very understandable any security consultant would encourage you to use a much more secure one (such as Firefox).

G
    PutFile.io Disrupting traditional file hosting.
    █ Signup Early and enjoy Unlimited space/bandwidth for your files hosting, Forever!
    █ No Ads.
    █ No Countdowns.

I only use IE when I absolutely have to:

1) At work I don't really have a choice.
    2) My 401k web site uses some weird frames and only works properly with IE.

Otherwise it's FireFox and Opera all the way
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

What I meant was the EU is requiring changes in Vista which has/will delay Vista rolling out in Europe. Their announcement of requirements should come any day now.
    Unless something has changed, MS has already stated they will release in Europe when they release everywhere else....

Like I said, the security companies can't provide as good a product because they aren't allowed access to the internals of Vista like they were allowed in XP. So they are saying Vista is less secure because their products can't provide the protection.
    Read below... and please read other sites as well... don't just visit the norton and McAfee sites.....

Name one. MS initially said they were giving them the access they need but Symantec and McAfee both said, later, it was not what they needed..
    I'll name two... Sophos and Kaspersky... and others are slowly backing away.... from Symantec and McAfee.... even those two are not as bad as they were....

Reuters - Microsoft's new operating system Vista will not make it more difficult for anti-virus systems to work, Russian computer security group and potential IPO candidate Kaspersky Lab said on Friday, contradicting rivals.

"Symantec and McAfee may be struggling with HIPS because they haven't coded their solutions with 64-bit Vista in mind," said Richard Jacobs, CTO of Sophos..."

"Sophos believes that PatchGuard is a positive step by Microsoft to improve security in Windows Vista, and is not in itself anti-competitive provided that Microsoft delivers on its commitment to provide the same level of kernel support and integration to third party security vendors as it does to its own security product team."

I'll agree with you there.
    Thanks...

I will say that MS is putting a low price on the product... that might drive other companies out of business (not good for the consumer). Then again, as some pointed out, others should have good products... Norton and Mcaff have sht for product....

You are aware that Microsoft has partnered with Novell and their Linux distribution while Oracle is now distributing Linux? Novell can now enter any MS shop and talk Linux..
    Right....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Microsoft May Finger EU for Vista Delay
    Microsoft follows Oracle in Tighter Linux Embrace
    The Microsoft Novell Partnership
    don't just visit the norton and McAfee sites
    I didn't. I got the info through CNET, ZDNet, BBC and others. Just because the companies you mentioned disagree, does not mean everyone else is wrong.
    Vista May Be Less Safe Than XP
    But it works in IE!

Hmm IE 7 has been tad slow for me , its killing me, i think i would try opera as firefox 2 aint that good either. But which browser is most secure out there?

firefox 2 aint that good either.
    Why do you say that?

You will be safer using any browser but IE. Which one is more secure than the other, I'm not sure. Hunt through Secunia to find the numbers. IE6 has around 160. Firefox about 36. Opera a few less or about the same. Not sure about Safari or Konqueror.
    But it works in IE!

Firefox 2 (0 reports)
    http://secunia.com/product/12434/?task=statistics

IE7 (3 reports)
    http://secunia.com/product/11/?task=statistics

Firefox 1 (37 reports)
    http://secunia.com/product/4227/

IE6 (106 reports)
    http://secunia.com/product/11/

Looks to me like IE is starting to do a lot better....

3 vulnerabilities in, what, three weeks and that's better?
    But it works in IE!