Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please help with webhost for a vbulletin forum!

Hi,

My first post here and definitely a newbie in this field.

I will be setting up a site which primarily will be a vbulletin forum with other pages and features (but broken down into many categories and different locations with the same categories. Ex. hawaii - cars and then new york - cars, etc.)

I can imagine starting out small, but i can also envision that the site may grow quite a bit.

I've been learning so much recently (and thanks to everyone here!), but i was wondering if any of you had specific recommendations for what i am looking for.

I see asmallorange as being popular, as well as hostgator, but specificallly for a forum type site that will probably grow, what would you recommend? And also, how easy is it to switch to say a cheaper plan to a more expensive plan?

Thanks so much for your help!

hi,

i just looked at the forum for a sec, and noticed another similar post from another user. Sorry about that, but if someone can still recommend a specific webhost that would be great. I'd like to get started right away!

thanks!

You should be able to start out small 8.00 a month or so and get enough space and bandwidth to haev some growth and then upgrade as needed.
    http://www.realwebhost.net
    http://www.realwebhost.net/vps.php
    ICQ 120397604 |MSN : hotmail.com | AIM : rwhsupport | Yahoo: rwhmax

You should have no problems with Hostgator or similar if the vBulletin is just starting out. When the forum begins to grow, however, make sure you start searching in advance for a VPS because Hostgator and the likes have terms in their conditions which restrict your usage of their packages for being in breach of their CPU conditions.

If you have a reasonable budget, you may want to use a very small VPS to start off with. This would mean you won't have the trouble of moving which can be troublesome speaking out of experience.

Incidentally, my vBulletin forum is huge (can be found in my sig) and I have had to upgrade to a new dedicated server (DualCore) as my Intel P4 is just not strong enough. Something else to consider if you envisage growing very large very soon.

Hope that helps - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

Hi!

You only need a host offering PHP/Mysql, since you're just starting, I suggest you to start with an small plan but with enough space to not start to worry when your site gets popular. Also, search for a host where you can scalate to a next level if you need it.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I also accept with all of these posts here an 8$ hosting would be great and do not look at cheapest prices with high disk space as sometimes these webhosts will run out of business if they make one mistake in there business, i know from experience. look for stable and a host that won't go down after a month paying or so hope that this helps.

also i suggest including some advertising in your own forum to generate some money with google adsense or other programs such alike.
    Signature coming Soon!

Hi,

Thanks for the great advice!!

I should also mention that I will be allowing users to post pictures, and probably have a gallery of some sort. So I can inagine that space and bandwidth would fill up at a decent rate.

I'm actually more an more interested in a VPS, especially if that would mean more ease to upgrade later on. Do you have a recommendation for a specific VPS?

Also, down the road if I switch to my own dedicated server, does that mean I wouldn't have to pay webhosting fees, or what fees would I have to pay for? (sorry for the newbie questions)

So I think I will look for a VPS, which company would be good for me? I can't wait to get started!!

Thanks again!

Boozecrooze,

If you plan on sticking with this site and that is has real potential, GO BIG. Get the biggest plan you can afford. Moving a website is too much trouble. Plus if you get a large plan from a reputable company, you have that much more incentive to get the site working quickly.

I totally agree with rboy159 - if you can afford it now, go big.

Moving can be a real pain if you are not experienced in hosting (which I presume you are not) and a VPS would be good for you.

As for my experience, if you wish for users to post images on your forum etc your bandwidth and space will be eaten up rather quickly. My forum has been going good for over 4 years and I have had to move through three dedicated servers in that time because of the resources a vBulletin takes up. I am currently using around 120gigs of space and I have another 300gigs or so spare which means I won't be moving soon.

Cheers - Dav
    Gotta check out this superb site...
    http://www.thecelebritydatabase.com/forum/

Hi,

Thanks again, this information is so helpful!

I think I may be convinced to go big, at least to try that out for a month or 2. Is that possible, or do I have to sign up for year(s) at a time.

And finally, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, which companies would you recommend?

Dav, which dedicated server are you using, and do you like it? I definitely would prefer not to move too much, as I'm not the most savvy with these things.

Thanks so much everyone!

You really don't need to go to a huge package, find a host where you can upgrade.
    There's no point of paying for resources that you're not going to use.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hi,

I would love to save some money in the beginning anyway, but definitely don't want problems in the future.

But are there specific companies that people would recommend?
    From my searches hostgator and asmallorange come up alot. Is that where I should start?

Thanks!

If either of them seem to fit your needs then go for it!

Yup I agree, and both I believe offer a money back guarantee...so really there is no risk.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

So I think I will look for a VPS, which company would be good for me? I can't wait to get started!!
    I would recommend PowerVPS or ServInt, I have a vps with both of them and they are superb.

From my searches hostgator and asmallorange come up alot. Is that where I should start?
    If they meet your requirements and budget, then go ahead. Be sure to do a search on them for reviews

You may want to check at the vbulletin forums, I saw post of people moving away from ASO (asmallorange) recently due repeated problems.

I agree with all this, but do you really know how to manage a VPS or dedicated? i sugegst start with shared then upgrade, when you get bigger and make profits from advertising. dont try to be big in the begining it wont work out, step-by-step will sort everything out
    Signature coming Soon!

Hi,

I think you may be right about first staring with shared and then upgrade, since I really haven't learned all that I probably should know about vps and dedicated servers. I just want to get started with the site.

Everyone here has offered such good advice. I think I will try to start shared and build my site, and then learn and look for a vps or dedicated one.

So which host will give me the most simple transition if I need one? I don't want to have to worry about losing user passwords, files, etc in the transition.

Also does it matter if I use macs? I can get a windows machine if needed, but I'm more used to macs.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by boozecrooze
    Hi,

I think you may be right about first staring with shared and then upgrade, since I really haven't learned all that I probably should know about vps and dedicated servers. I just want to get started with the site.
    Thats a good choice, start off with what you need and grow into something bigger as you need it.

So which host will give me the most simple transition if I need one? I don't want to have to worry about losing user passwords, files, etc in the transition.
    There are alot of web hosting providers out there. Getting one that you feel comfortable with is the main key. Whatever provider you feel is best for your needs, then go with them. I suggest getting a provider that offers a money back guarantee.

Also does it matter if I use macs? I can get a windows machine if needed, but I'm more used to macs.
    Nope that doesn't matter one bit.

Hi,

How does this one sound to you?

http://www.pair.com/services/web_hosting/webmaster.html

How's the reputation of this company? Is the price and package a good starting point?

Thanks!

Check the search results

http://webhostingtalk.com/search.php?searchid=1701470

I would say that plan sounds about right!

Hi,

Pair.com seems to have good reviews. I'll be checking it out a little more, but thanks so much!!

Hi,

Okay, with everyone's help I think I've narrowed it down to 2 - Hostgator and Pair.

I was looking at:
    1. Pair's webmaster - $29.95 for 200gb/month transfer 3000mb disk space, etc.
    2. Hostgator's Swamp - $14.95 for 100gb bandwidth and 10,000mb disk space, etc.

What do you think? Which would be best for my needs and reputation, value etc.? Would I need the extra disk space or is the better transfer better?

Thanks so much, and I think I'm almost making the decision!

Shared hosting remains limited in a way, and as stated above by some, there comes a point when shared hosting just isn't the right option anymore. The way I see it, leaving aside the large image transfers, I would be prepared to pay ~$1 per GB of data transfer used by a forum. If the forum has huge peaks in usage, even more might be necessary.

In other words, I would not expect to push 100GB or 200GB with a forum, off a regular hosting account. Having the right expectations can mean the difference between being happy and being unpleasantly surprised.

Leaving all that aside, you're doing the right thing, starting with with a shared hosting account. We all love success stories (like Youtube for example), but they are the exception, not the rule. Communities can grow fast, but not instantaneously.

I think I just confused myself even more.

After reading, some people are suggesting maybe going to a vps just out of ease for the possiblity of a dedicated server.

So now, I see another company in liquidweb that looks pretty good. Any thoughts on them?

So can we say that a vps will be too much for me to start or should I look at them as well ($75 for hostgator and pair, and $60 for liquidweb)?

I would love to start with hostgator's $14.95 plan but will that be enough to start? And will the transition from the $14.95 plan to a semi-dedicated or dedicated server have any foreseeable problems or costs? (I'll also ask the specific companies as well).

So can you just point out if you were in my situation, which would you pick:
    1. hostgator $14.95
    2. pair $29.95
    3.liquidweb VPS $60
    4. hostgator semi-dedicated $75
    5. pair high volume - $75

So money is an issue, but definitely not the deciding factor. I rather have no problems, like downtime or the host saying that I'm taking too much space, etc and then have a slowdown.

By the way, if I started with hostgator's $14.95 plan and then switch to pair's or liquidweb's dedicated servers, will there be problems in the transition from company to company?

Thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast