This is interesting.

In the past week, I setup a new website for a customer, moved their data from one site to another, while I was trying to get their old domain name back, they wanted to make a new domain name to go to the same site.

So, I purchased a domain name, and purchased hosting, after the hosting was setup, I setup the domain name to point to the host.

Not even 30 seconds later, the domain name is working and goes to the empty directory on the server. I upload a random index just to see, and sure enough it works. I give the link to a friend on the other side of the world, and it works for him too.

How'd that happen? I thought I had to wait 24-48 hours before a name starts to work?

Registration and delegation is instant or nearly so, at least with com/net/org.

Accepted wisdom is that you should allow 24-48 hours for DNS changes (including new registrations) to propagate throughout the Internet - so it's possible that while you could see the domain some of the rest of the world couldn't yet.

Where does your friend come from?

I can buy a name and use it in 5 minutes

Its is normal that you can see your website right away online but some are for a couple of days in their DNS cach memory so that's why the need some days for the whole world wide web to see your domain.
    http://www.extremejourney.com regards Peter and Savo from Makserver

Quote Originally Posted by voogru
    How'd that happen? I thought I had to wait 24-48 hours before a name starts to work?
    Welcome to 2004!

http://www.verisign.com/verisign-inc...ge_015894.html
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubeca
    Accepted wisdom is that you should allow 24-48 hours for DNS changes (including new registrations) to propagate throughout the Internet - so it's possible that while you could see the domain some of the rest of the world couldn't yet.
    Especially when not all ISPs are created equal.

Some "catch on" pretty quick, others take a while. No single party controls all the
    factors involved in making that happen.

24-48hrs is a safe bet for changes as servers all over the world will cache information and it takes that kind of time for cache to expire.
    With a new domain name however the information isn't cached anywhere, so only the root servers hold the information and so will begin to resolve more or less instantly.
    Where there is nothing cached (brand new domains) you've really got no wait.