Smile I installed windows vista for some reason

I enjoy being a cutting edge nerd, so I picked up that leaked version of vista that news sources that have no real news to report have been talk about

Some things i like

The new start menu
    They rewrote it so that when you click on the "all programs" button from the start menu, it opens up this scrollable window inside where the regular start menu was. When you click on a menu item inside of that menu, it opens a dropdown menu right under that navigation item, in the start menu.

The new volume control
    You can now control the volume of individual programs.

Desktop icon options
    You can now select sizes for your desktop icons. One problem though, some icons were not designed to be viewed at 120x120. Quicktime for example, very pixelated.

Mspaint is decent now
    you can actually save good quality jpegs with mspaint now. Don't need to open photoshop to take a decent quality screenshot.

Some things I don't like

You know how some games lag when you are running a high resolution? Well windows does that to me.

Opening some programs will result in windows changing visual style elements around, and this can take a second. Trillian does this every time i open it up.

Changing your desktop image requires a few clicks. More clicks than XP. Navigation is actually broken up into a few windows. Not a big deal though.

I'll probably end up buying it after a little while. Hopefully performance picks up after a few updates.

Thanks... that was cool....
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I like some of those things.

I also liked the improved parental controls. They will come in handy for many users.

I haven't experienced the same lags that you have talked about with my system.

Over all, I'm very impressed with the RC2 release.

Nice review Mikey.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BAlGaInTl
    I like some of those things.

I also liked the improved parental controls. They will come in handy for many users.

I haven't experienced the same lags that you have talked about with my system.

Over all, I'm very impressed with the RC2 release.
    Well, that vista ratings thing says i have a 2.8 computer. I guess it's because of my video card. I have a nvidia geforce fx 5200 pci card. Ram, i have 1gb, using up all available sockets. Processor, 2.80ghz P4.

My computer doesn't have any AGP, or Pci-express ports. Just 4 PCI ports.

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r
    Well, that vista ratings thing says i have a 2.8 computer. I guess it's because of my video card. I have a nvidia geforce fx 5200 pci card. Ram, i have 1gb, using up all available sockets. Processor, 2.80ghz P4.

My computer doesn't have any AGP, or Pci-express ports. Just 4 PCI ports.
    I can't remember what my rating on my system is right now.

I do know that I have a PCI-e ATI X800XL though. That could be a part of it.

My computer shows 3.5 for the rating.

What I like:

- Start Menu
    - New redesigned Alt+Tab
    - Switch Between Windows
    - Security features
    - Layout
    - Volume Control
    - Toys

All in all, I think vista is a huge improvement over xp, and when it is out in stores, hopefully they polish it out as it is a little laggy when running the new aero app (transparency thing). But that most likely has to do with my vid card.

I have BETA 2, and I was emailed links for the RC editions, but at the time I didn't care. Only now, I want them, and what do ya know.... can't find 'em.

I've been using RC1 for a while, will probably get the final version soon though as it's out for businesses end of the month I think. Fortunately we get it for free as based on what I've seen so far it doesn't offer anything for me that would make me want to spend hours moving everything over to it.

I like the overall look and found setting things up was easy enough. The security messages which came up every 2 minutes were extremely annoying, but I'm hoping they have been cut down a bit for the final release. I also had a big problem when I ran the Media Center section it changed the resolution to something my TV didn't like, and of course there was no way to change it back when you can't see the screen so I had to go through the garage and dig out an old screen to plug in and change it back. However it happened again and again and I ended up giving up with using it on my big screen.

It seemed to run well enough with 512MB RAM and a 256MB graphics card, but I would go for 1GB+ if I was going to use it full time. I also installed Office 2007 and running Outlook and Word for example pretty much used all the available memory.
    Steve