Thread: Dell Discount

Dell Discount

Hey,

I'm planning to place a $30k server order with Dell for our new colo space. What discount can I reasonably expect at that order size?

best,
    Bayhost

PS: Any Dell Account reps recommendations are appreciated.

Do you already have sales rep?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave
    Do you already have sales rep?
    No, I don't.

Is the $30K price based on the base cost on Dell's site, or does it include any discounts they're running there?
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

Quote Originally Posted by timdorr
    Is the $30K price based on the base cost on Dell's site, or does it include any discounts they're running there?
    Simply going to the Small Business section on the Dell Site and configuring 14 servers (meaning it includes whatever promotions they are running on the site right now).

Quote Originally Posted by bayhost
    Hey,

I'm planning to place a $30k server order with Dell for our new colo space. What discount can I reasonably expect at that order size?

best,
    Bayhost

PS: Any Dell Account reps recommendations are appreciated.
    Our dell rep is great, David Debien ([email protected] - 512-724-3966).. Give him a call, he'll hook you up.

My guess is 10-20% discount, depending on which servers you're buying, what deals are involved, and what dell's margins are.. I've seen huge discounts on their bigger servers, and zero discounts on their lower end servers like SC1425s

Then yea, you can get deeper discount if you deal with sales rep.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

In the past if you were a CPA you could get an additional 5% off the purchase price, ask your sales guy if they offer any other professional discounts, it never hurts to ask.

Like Michael mentioned, it will depend on the actual server configurations involved, the margins for those configurations, and your relationship with the sales rep.

I'm a little disappointed, we were assigned a new team last week and I haven't contacted them yet to find out why that is yet.

Josh.. Dell replaces sales teams like women replace shoes.. There's no logic to it. If you don't like your Sales Rep, wait a month & he'll change. This dell rep we've got now is the first rep I've liked in 5 years.

I don't understand the logic behind that unless the client is unhappy with the current rep. I was perfectly happy with our rep and used him for 5 large orders over the past 12 months. He always gave us great discounts without having to push too much.

Dell is illogical. They're a HUGE organiation with tons of churn and turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by slhost
    I don't understand the logic behind that unless the client is unhappy with the current rep. I was perfectly happy with our rep and used him for 5 large orders over the past 12 months. He always gave us great discounts without having to push too much.
    There is no logic, it actually has nothing to do with client satisfaction. Dell Management, and the system they used to track individual sales performance on rep's is pretty merciless on reps that don't have large consistant accounts. Many reps either move up, or elsewhere to other positions or jobs, hence the high turnover.

We get a new dell rep every 2-6 weeks. In one instance, we got 2 new reps in the same week. Overall, their relationship management is a farce. Our reps come and go and we have 8-10 different account numbers. Sometimes when we place a new order, we'll get a new account number. Sometimes not ...
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by slhost
    SLHOST, That was probably his problem. Dont forget after all Dell is not doing business for fun only ;-)
    As far as I understand generally the margins are getting tighter on the marcet, so if you have a rep. that still gives you a good margin than he is selling larger volumes in general or you are very lucky :-)
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 11-17-2006 at 05:01 AM.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

Enterprise/Government/Edu accounts are nice, your rep for those are around at least 2-4 years.

We have had our rep since the opening of our company, and he has been great plus he provides us with some good deals/discounts. I would definitely recommend him.

Brad Hanlon ([email protected] - 5127287661)
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers