New to the Dedicated Market

I am new to the dedicated server market and I am looking for advice. I am looking at moving my current reseller account and websites to a dedicated server for the added control and flexibility. Along with my current websites, myself and a partner will be working on the development of a ASP.net based web application. I am relatively familiar with the operation of WinServ2k3 in a LAN environment so I feel like I will be able to pick up the web based operational procedures relatively quickly. I believe my requirements will be close to the following.

Athlon or P4 or greater
    -1 GB RAM
    -80 GB HDD
    -Windows 2003 Standard
    -Plesk
    -6ish IP Addresses
    -500 GB Throughput

I state my requirements with the thought in mind that while they may be a tad overkill for my needs, I wish to go into the game with more than I need in case I ever want to do anything truly intensive, I don't want to have to worry about possibly compromising someone else's operations. I am looking to spend ~$100 USD. I run one somewhat active forum and a few other small projects of my own.

I suppose my question is, what kinds of things might I expect from the get go with Dedicated Hosting and what recommendations might be made in the way of a provider.
    Last edited by aircraftcarryur; 11-14-2006 at 03:21 PM.

Indeed the problem here is with the Windows License, try to put in more cash or consider other Operating systems.
    Caro.Net: Support is everything
    Offering High Quality Dedicated Servers.

Windows costs money unlike the other platforms but it has much more features and it's very usable IMO.

I agree you need to spend more than $100. You get a box like that for $70-100 (check offers forum) plus $15-30 for Windows, and then another $10-20 for Plesk (30 domain licence). You may be looking to spend maybe $120 /month for the box.

I was actually planning for about $140, as I want to make sure I am hosted with a reputible provider. Also, what are the differences in peformance with different kinds of processors? Is Celeron something that should be avoided like plague? And what kind of performance improvement do you notice with an upgrade to a Dual Processor or Dual Core Architecture?

The Celeron must be avoided at all costs, but the Celeron works fine for anything other than web/database hosting (like Live streaming, FTP sites). If you have an extra $30 /month, you can go with Soft Layer (well known around here) and get a Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, and 2000GB Bandwidth. Windows is FREE, and you just pay an extra $10 for Plesk. And this configuration is much, much faster than what you've proposed.

A Celeron will work fine for a basic webserver, just try and keep the script usage etc to a minimum or only host a limited number of domains and you'll be fine.
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

You need to increase your budget for P4, otherwise its perfect for Celeron.

Quote Originally Posted by XF-Chan
    The Celeron must be avoided at all costs, but the Celeron works fine for anything other than web/database hosting (like Live streaming, FTP sites). If you have an extra $30 /month, you can go with Soft Layer (well known around here) and get a Dual Core CPU, 1GB RAM, 250GB Hard Drive, and 2000GB Bandwidth. Windows is FREE, and you just pay an extra $10 for Plesk. And this configuration is much, much faster than what you've proposed.
    I really like what I see here; I think the additional cost is warranted by what you get out of it.

Thanks for the informative answers guys.