It's bad... and I'm moving...

So my site went offline friday. I talked to support and they managed to get the main domain and mail working again however the addons were not. The day after that they got my databases working with cpanel again (CPanel showed db errors). It's been 5 days now and the addons are still not working. All I get at the web address of my addon domain is the 'new cpanel' page. I've talked to support every day. I've opened support tickets. Mail to my addon domain (one of my primary accounts) is being rejected. I know I'm with a cheap host but this is exceptionally poor service. Shouldn't even cheap hosts be able to... you know... host correctly.

My needs are simple. I run two sites, sometimes three. I only need a couple gig of space and 20 or so transfer. I am a developer so a healthy number of databases and features would be nice. In fact, I'm quite enticed by bluehost's RoR support.

I don't need 99.5% uptime. I don't need lightning fast downloads. I don't need 50 Fantastico apps or site builders or pre-installed shopping carts. I need a reasonably priced host that won't just randomly screw me over for days on end.

I would recommend searching the offers section in this forum for a reputable host that you like. Many hosts offer reliable services that would work for you.
    PWRHost.com - Empower your site today!
    Award Winning Shared & Reseller Hosting Since 2005!

You have very simple needs, but unfortunately its the cheaper hosts that tend to mess up here and there. I would set your budget around $8 - $10 and you should find good hosting with everything you require and support that actually knows what they're doing!

Good luck with your hunt.

What's your budget and aprox your space and bandwidth needs?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Jedito, he mentioned a couple gigs of space and 20 gigs of bw...

Quote Originally Posted by MrRadic
    Jedito, he mentioned a couple gigs of space and 20 gigs of bw...
    You're right, sorry, I did not read that part.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I would set your budget around $8 - $10 and you should find good hosting with everything you require and support that actually knows what they're doing!

I agree you will find a reliable host with this budget
    ArzNet.com
    Providing Hosting & Domain Reseller since 2001
    Clientexec and Directi Domain Reseller with every Reseller Plan - 30 Day Trial Now Available!

You can also explain yourself and use "Request A Quote" above.

Finding host & host quote. Upper right..
    NoFrillsLogo.com - Never pay more for your logo!

Professional Design & Low Prices. We Design Until You are Satisfied Guaranteed!
    Click Here To Boost Your Company Profit With a Real Logo

Thanks for the feedback. I think I was more venting than looking for hosting suggestions.

I'm looking in the $8 an area. Not many hosts support RoR though.

The host I have offers RoR support.

I looked at downtownhost and they seem to be popular here however their prices for anything less than annual terms are a little higher than I wanted to go. I'm trying to stay at a quarter or shorter term exactly because of these kinds of hosting issues.

Eight dollars a month, for a "couple gig" of space and 20 gig of bandwidth, is supposed to bring "good" hosting and support? Only at WHT...

ah ok well a small orange, hostgator and bluehost are hosts I have heard nothing but good things about.

Quote Originally Posted by thetimehascome
    Eight dollars a month, for a "couple gig" of space and 20 gig of bandwidth, is supposed to bring "good" hosting and support? Only at WHT...
    Like I said... I don't need 99% uptime or any ridiculous features. In fact, I don't need any support as long as they don't break my crap themselves. I'd consider what I'm looking for 'mediocre' hosting and 'better-than-a-monkey-with-a-spatula' support. Even at $8 a month, down for days is unacceptable.

I am personally using a few hosts that cost me around $8-10 per month, and I am quite pleased with them.

I am not sure if they have "RoR support", however - I am not sure what that is.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

that statement makes me think of 1and1.

Ruby on Rails

Quote Originally Posted by Nadabrahma
    I
    RoR is Ruby on Rails?

Yes ..... (message too short)

For clarity of others reading this thread: Wkipedia: RoR (Ruby on Rails) explained.
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

Ruby on Rails is present on almost all the hosts, but how many offer support for applications on RoR is quite few,cause it increases overall cost, hence you might get stuck paying more if you need support too for RoR.