Hosting novice needs advice

Hi I am based in the UK and just about to have my first website hosted. I am a complete novice and do not have much technical knowledge so will need a host that can give good support. My site which is AJAX based in PHP with a Mysql data base is a directory of entertainers.

It will eventually include about 2 thousand photographs and 1000 short video/audio clips (these clips will be limited to 30 seconds each because of performing rights issues) When the site is launched it will have only a few images/clips and will gradually build up to the figures above over a period of about 12 months.

Can anyone advise me on how much disk space/bandwidth I may need and recommend a reliable hosting company with good support.

Regards Rob

To start off with I would get a small shared hosting account with say 1Gb disk space + 10Gb transfer and see how it goes. Once the site gets bigger it will need to move from the shared hosting to a dedicated server (maybe via a VPS) however I would suggest at that point looking for a fully managed dedicated server provider.

For the support etc I would say have a look at clook.net as they are a premium UK brand and they should be able to grow with you as the site gets popuiar

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon

Yes, I agree, it's best to start off reasonably small since you are only just starting with this, something in the line of what above posted suggested would be fine.

Whenever necessary you can always upgrade or even move to a VPS or dedicated server.

You can take a look at the offers section to find a suitable host, or try the host quote feature. It's also a good idea to do some research on them and contact them personally, so you can get an idea of their support.
    IceBlueHost | Premium Quality Hosting Solutions
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers
    True 24x7 Support | No Overselling | Servers in France and Canada
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest news and special promotions

Hmm, I'll have to disagree with the 1 GB of Disk, 10 GB of transfer. If you have audio and video clips, you're going to want much more then 10 GB of transfer -- and you won't need to move to a dedicated/vps box until you start getting a lot of traffic.

I wish you much luck with your site!

Well no, he says himself:
    "When the site is launched it will have only a few images/clips and will gradually build up to the figures above over a period of about 12 months."

So he might as well start off with a smaller shared plan and upgrade whenever necessary. When his site outgrows a shared account then he can move to VPS/dedicated.
    Shared | Reseller | Xen VPS | Dedicated | cPanel | Softaculous | CLoudLinux | Game Servers

But why worry about upgrading? He/She should get a plan he can grow into for the next 3 - 6 months.

Well there really shouldn't be any worry any upgrading. If the provider allows free upgrading then it all boils down to a simple click of the button.

If I could only give say one thing about getting a hosting provider is do not base your choice on pricing levels. Gather up a list of providers that you may want to go with and search for reviews on them. That way you will have a general idea of how their service and support is and overall quality.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Do you know aprox. how much space each of those 2000 clips does use?
    I think that you'll need more than 1 GB of space.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yes, I agree Jedito, and as MrRadic said the bandwidth requirements that those clips and pics will pull will be an extensive amount if you a good day with visitors.

Can anyone advise me on how much disk space/bandwidth I may need and recommend a reliable hosting company with good support.
    You're in fact in the best position to estimate your space needs. Images and clips sizes can vary a lot with the quality and resolution, so you need to find the right balance.

Hi

Thanks for all the good advice this forum is great!

Jedito you asked about the size of the files - they vary but the average would be about 15 Mb for the video and 200Kb for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ntie
    Hi

Thanks for all the good advice this forum is great!

Jedito you asked about the size of the files - they vary but the average would be about 15 Mb for the video and 200Kb for the photos.
    In that case I would say you would be needing over 1GB, best thing is to do the math for your self With regards to bandwidth I would say you wouldn't be needing any more than 10GB, specially since you are just starting out.
    [DC'S] SINGAPORE. AUSTRALIA. JAPAN. INDIA. CHINA HK. USA. UK. NETHERLANDS. GERMANY. SOUTH AFRICA
    MyCompanyWeb™: Start Your Own Professional Web Hosting Company in 24 Hours
    SkyNetHosting.Net - SEO Hosting. Reseller Hosting. Shared Hosting & VPS - 14 Years in Business!
    Dedicated IP + SSL + WHMCS + Domain Reseller + Master Reseller + 100% SSD + End User Support and More!

Most hosts nowadays will give you several GBs of storage even on a starter account.
    And 100s of GBs of b/w too....

But even though you can start out small now, you are certainly going to need a dedicated server in a while. Those videos are CPU intensive I would think.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Maybe I would be better going for a competative semi-dedicated deal strait off. Although cost is important reliability and support are more important to me.

Any recommendations?

Why not just go with a higher end reseller account. I say that because reseller accounts tend to provide more disk space and bandwidth. Only thing you would have to watch out for is your resource usage as many providers implement a limit.

My suggestion to this is get a shared account to start with, and allocate your website space and buy the shared account dipending on your web space you need (mabe some extra space / BW will not make any bad) and ask your hosting provider about it to give you more assistence as i can see here are many of them to choose from

good luck
    Signature coming Soon!

In any case, your provider should let you upgrade for free if the whatever solution you do end up getting is not suffice to your requirements. That is the main concern here.

Like the general tone of this discussion is saying you will need only a small plan to begin with, but it is vital that you have a host that will allow your plan to grow with you. You will need a very good customer service team in order to keep an eye of your needs.

I would suggest a plan which should cost you no more than $5.00 per month. For that you should receive 5gb storage and 20gb bandwidth or so. You should then look at other packages that host offers in terms of upgrading, does it cost to upgrade? will I need all of those features? can they provide a customer package?

My company does this for clients but it is important that you find the right host for your needs, remember ever host cannot possible suit everybody.
    DB9 Design, Design and quality you can trust

Quote Originally Posted by DB9 Design

I would suggest a plan which should cost you no more than $5.00 per month. For that you should receive 5gb storage and 20gb bandwidth or so.
    And people should expect quality for that price aswell?

Thanks for all the sound advice everyone.

I think I will go for a mid range reseller package that I can upgraid as I grow, eventually moving to semi dedicated or dedicated package. How can I deal with the resource usage issue?

Any offers or recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by HostFrog
    And people should expect quality for that price aswell?
    Yes hostfrog you can expect quality at that price, do you just follow me around the forum and contradict everything I say?

If you are a paying customer no business will want to lose you. So obviously for any price you will receive quality.

Quote Originally Posted by m1ntie
    Thanks for all the sound advice everyone.

I think I will go for a mid range reseller package that I can upgraid as I grow, eventually moving to semi dedicated or dedicated package. How can I deal with the resource usage issue?

Any offers or recommendations?
    Most web hosting packages come with monitoring facilities so you can see how much bandwidth you are using each day, the number of hits you receive etc. I will keep a close eye on this as you grow to make sure your site isn't blocked due to out stripping its bandwidth.

You can also subscribe to companys that alert you if your site does down or your bandwidth is too great. Please feel free to PM me if you need any further help.

Robin

I have to agree with DB9 Design, you can definitely find good quality and reliable hosting for that price.
    You just need to shop around and do your homework first

Hosting novice update

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have gone for a reseller plan with SkyNetHosting