Thread: Chess

The more time I spend with chess the more I understand how much you can learn from it and how much truth it reveals.

- At first when you look at a chess board you don't understand how complex it is. But there are approximately 2,28 * 10^46 possible moves and around 10^120 possible ways to play the game (source: wikipedia). That is a 1 followed by 120 zeros. Chess is just as complex as life.

- As in real life it is all about being stronger then your opponent. Making it difficult for your opponent to attack you while trying to find ways to attack your opponent.

- Everything you achieve needs to be backed up or it will be taken away from you just like in real life.

- You need to think many moves in advance if you want to win.

- You must always try to understand what your opponent is doing. Everything happens for a reason.

- Never underestimate your opponent.

- Sometimes you have to sacrifice something to gain something more valuable

- Create traps for your opponent and try not to step into his traps.

Chess is an incredible game. Whenever you play you learn something new not only about chess but about life. You may say life today is not like chess because your opponents may have an unfair advantage but you are fighting against a whole lot of opponents...some stronger than you...others weaker. Like playing chess agains Kasparov you are likely to lose but you don't always play against Kasparov. There is a lot of truth in chess.

Chess is a lot like life in a lot of ways.

One way it is not like life - Luck almost never plays a role in chess. A vastly inferior opponent can expect to win pretty close to 0% of the time.

Hm...luck can play a role in chess like when you take part in the world championship and then suddenly you get ill and can't concentrate. That's bad luck. If it happens to your opponent it's luck. When you get mentally ill you won't be able to play chess successfully anymore like you may not be able to be successful in life anymore. Bad luck... If you are rich and don't need to work you have a lot of time to play and train chess and you will be more successful in chess which would be luck if you were born by rich parents etc. There really is no difference between chess and real life. Somehow it all applys in one way or another.

I think it helps you to develop your intellectual abilities, makes you think and anticipate your partner's movements. Great game!!!

Nice try, but that's a reach. I suppose a meteorite could fall from the sky and hit Bobby Fischer right before he checkmates me...but cmon.

A skilled player can remove luck from the chess equation. To make my example a little clearer - A chess computer with a 2400 rating will NEVER lose to a chess computer with a 1500 rating. Whereas a skilled poker player, backgammon, basketball, football, etc. player always has the opportunity to get beaten by a VASTLY inferior player.

This is the reason many chess masters turn to other games at some point, such as backgammon,poker, or bridge. The results are a lot more interesting and less predictable.

being a bit of a chess pro when i was a kid, i have to say that it's more boring than some things in life. chess is a bit one-dimentional in some ways

That's what I was getting at. Once you learn the openings, there is one and only one correct way to play the opening. If either player deviates from the opening book, they are probably making a mistake and will be beaten rather quickly. So chess actually has become a matter of learning opening books out to the 15th move or so. Life is rarely so scripted. Chess attempts to be like life, but it actually falls short. The amount of study that has been devoted to chess has actually cheapened it. Just about all higher level chess games don't start until the middle game, and some don't even start until the end game. Some GM level games never start at all. How many times have GM's played the same exact game as someone else, move for move? I'll bet it happens more often than we think. Although this line of thinking resembles the rat race of life.

Interesting topic! Deepest level of thought I've experienced on a forum lately.
    Last edited by meanpc; 11-14-2006 at 07:15 AM.

I wish I loved this game, but my dad put me off this game by being a stronger partner than I am in my chilhood. I'm planning to teach my daughter by giving in to her not to discourage her at once.

Yes, a good opening can make it one dimensional if you play against someone who is not as good as you...A thousand people may do the same mistake but that's exactly the same in real life. If you are playing against a good player you need to find other ways. Life can be one dimensional at times, too.

And sure a 2400 player will always win against a 1600 player but in real life a genius will always win against a dumbass. Some people are business men by nature while others never get anything done. It's just like that in real life. Luck plays a role like when you get cancer and die you won't live anymore but you won't be able to play chess either.

And if you are saying "How many times have GM's played the same exact game as someone else, move for move?" then why are there so many collections of thousands and thousands of different grandmaster games... Eventhough there may always be similar strategies other GMs recognice them and then you have to come up with something new.

your examples for chess vs life cant include life as part of the chess example surely?

surely when making examples you should only use chess situations to show how luck can/cant be defined

bit of a poor reach to compare the 2 imo

now poker... theres a game with a fair bit of luck (why is it i always get the bad beats!)

Yeh, I saw the using life part of his chess argument too...that's why I tried to go to computer chess with it. His life/chess lines were getting pretty blurry.

Here's another way chess is different:

The perfect chess game can be played. The perfect life can't be lived. Or put another way, in chess there is always a best move.

Chennai , India
    i am a big fan of chess game, and i play daily with my friends and in yahoo game chess.

Just played another nice party against computer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails checkmate.JPG  

Pflugerville, TX
    This thread reminded me of when I used to play chess in middle school and early high school. I found a site that lets you connect quickly with players from all over, and I just played my first game in years. I forgot how fun chess could be

[White "Akiratank"]
    [Black "the_pm"]
    [Event "InstantChess"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ICCause "0"]
    [ICEcause "1"]
    [Annotator "the_pm"]

1.e4 e5
    2.Nf3 Nc6
    3.Bb5 a6
    4.Bxc6 bxc6
    5.Nxe5 d5
    6.exd5 cxd5
    7.O-O Bd6
    8.d4 Nf6
    9.Bg5 h6
    10.Bxf6 Qxf6
    11.c3 O-O
    12.Nd2 Re8
    13.Ndf3 Bf5
    14.Qb3 Rad8
    15.Qxd5? Bxe5
    16.Qc5 Bd6
    17.Qd5?? Bxh2+
    18.Nxh2 Rxd5 0-1
    I played black - Roy Lopez, Spanish variation, exchange accepted (pretty standard defense, but with many, many variations). He made a questionable grab, and then blundered his way into a painful resign. I added the appropriate notation. I played it pretty conservatively, but it worked out well. If there are any chess experts who would like to review and tell me if the game was solid or if I was lucky, please do. It's been way too long since I've done an analysis!

Oh, for those who are interested: - great site!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

My computer beats me at chess...
    I however, beat it at kickboxing.

Seriously though. When playing my friends I can normally win. but even on easy i can never seem to trick the computer. (they don't make mistakes...) I've gotten to the point where the computer is just moving the same peice back and forth till stalemate (at that point I declare myself vitorious because obviously what I was about to do was going to crush them since they wouldn't move something else.)

Regardless of whether I start first or second though, I can't seem to beat the computer.
    Who is General Fault, and why is he reading my disk?

I just ordered Fritz 10 (but didn't receive it, yet). It can adjust the computer's strength to match yours automatically so you will win occasionally. It does also analyze games and helps to improve your skills. It has a coaching feature including video tutorials that explain openings, mid game and end game strategies.
    The screen shot I posted above is from 3D Chess unlimited which is easy to beat on "easy".

A lot of those old games claim they help in life, and in my opinion, they do. I've played Chess, and the Asian version of Chess, and they both make you realise things while you're playing.

It's fun as well.