50%+ of my server resources go to SPAM.

This isn't anything new but what are we going to do to stop spam ? In average, half of the resources on my servers are dedicated to filtering spam emails. I can't imagine how much $$$ spam is costing companies around the world, why can't we create some sort of central registry that would validate emails?

Yes it would cost some money to process but it would cut down on spam, just like ARIN assigns IP addresses there would be an other organization that would validate and assign email accounts to people. They could ask for different documents to make sure the person is legit and that her emails are legit (for example a corporation would fill a document and justify the use of an other email account by its employee), every person would be allowed the use of one personal email.

We need to do something about this, sorry I need to vent...
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

good idea... congress almost pressed on getting a solution but now they have forgotten about it, I guess they do not use email so it is not that critical to them
    GS RichCopy 360 Enterprise - Voted #1 for data migration and replication in terms of performance and features. Replicate data across between servers in the same network, WAS, or even across the internet

We need tougher legislation

I say make ALL commercial email illegal then there would be fewer services avalible to crimminal spammers plus it would move there excuse "But you opted in" ********
    I could tell you a joke about UDP. But I'm not sure you would get it!

I say kill all spammers.

That'd stop most of them, and lower populations in poor countries, which means the little kids can have more water and food.

All good in my opinion!

</dreaming>

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    I say kill all spammers.

</dreaming>
    Your solution to everything is nuke, kill, destroy, you may be suffering from a personality disorder.
    Cloud VPS Hosting

True... but maybe all you are....

No, I just see the world differently to you, I don't expect you to do it, no.... rather, I know you won't do it. I probably wouldn't even do it, but the way everyone goes about things these days is ridiculous, more regulations won't fix the problem. Make it easy and simple...

no damn spam.

Any spammers will be sent to jail for a few years.

selectively block out incoming connection to 25 from certain regions.
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    selectively block out incoming connection to 25 from certain regions.
    I think it's a good idea but it's not a permanent solution.
    Cloud VPS Hosting

I'm sorry to say this but spam isn't going away anytime soon, or even ever I think.

Yes, your server processes 50% resouces on spam,

The U.S. Post Office spam-mail ratio is somewhere around 75%

IF they can't control the US mailsystem, dont' exepct them to control the internet system either.

4 hours of my time today went to sorting legit mail out of spam filters because so many thousands of spam came in today, it was the worst day in months

I recently ran into this idea about filtering out SPAM using SURBL lists BEFORE it is processed by the server. It has cut down the amount of SPAM that my server has to process dramatically:
    http://forums.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?t=57896
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by mm1250
    IF they can't control the US mailsystem, dont' exepct them to control the internet system either.
    I disagree, with regular mail you cannot trace the exact source of the mail. With emails you know it can be traced and an organization controlling emails would #1 suspend/cancel that email, now how to automate that is an other issue but I think it can be done.

For example, user is going to apply to the email authority for an email hosted on domain abc.com, first the domain owner will have to register for something similar to an ASN number so that other mail servers will know he's legit, then for each user account he wants to add he will need to provide documents to confirm the identify of him/her just like when you order blocks of IP's.

Central verification of a domain+user account would be done on "verification servers" that will send the ok or not. That will take many root servers to handle it but if they do this in a way similar to the root DNS system (each TLD on a different root server) it can be done.

Only that would pretty much mean the end of the free email services (I think it's one of the root causes of the problem anyway). I feel like working on such a project but it will need government backing.
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen)
    4 hours of my time today went to sorting legit mail out of spam filters because so many thousands of spam came in today, it was the worst day in months
    That's interesting...I got more spam today than ever before, too. More than 1000 emails were sent to my support address. About 990 of them were spam.

But the worst problem about spam is that with spam filters getting more and more strict legitimate mail will be lost. I am having a lot of problems to reach my customers. Eventhough I have around 10 email account all hosted with different ISPs and providers all over the world some customers really don't get anything as soon as it contains a link or anything that triggers a spam filter like "billing" or other words. How am I supposed to handle billing issues if my customers do not get my emails ?

So bascially spam causes two problems: First the time and resources it takes to filter out spam and second the time and resources it takes to make sure people receive your emails.

Just look at my avatar. hah. You're right, spam eats up way too much time. I get nearly 1000 spam emails on any given day.

The software I use is Cloudmark. It catches about 98% of the spam, and you block the spam that does get through to help Cloudmark out. Its a win-win for both parties.

there was a report the other week that said spam has recently gotten a lot worse due to picture spam, where the spam is rendered into a picture

some of your problems might be related to that...

the solution is to put spammers behind bars atleast for 30 days if they are caught spamming. Its not very diffcult to find spammers. cops just need to be dedicated on that. Further they need also need help from international police. Seems like there is no end to that.

Spare a thought for those who are hired as "human spam filters" for the Directors etc...

I once applied for a job which had "...sort all incoming mail, both hard copy and electronic, into specified categories...". Much to my amazement, this included spam, both through the post and email. On top of this, this company had no spam filters in place as they felt it may "incorrectly label an important email as spam". To top it all off, the person who was leaving the position had felt it was her place to respond to each spam message since her arrival with something along the lines of "Please desist from sending these emails to this address at once. They were not requested and doing so is illegal. We will press for legal action if you continue to do so".

Such to say, I did not accept the position!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrick
    I say kill all spammers.

That'd stop most of them, and lower populations in poor countries, which means the little kids can have more water and food.

All good in my opinion!

</dreaming>
    I assume you're joking but sometimes I get so pissed at the recent increase in spam that I really feel that way, for that moment anyway.

This image spam that they're starting to use seems impossible to filter unless I want to filter out all emails with images. That wouldn't be an option for me since I'm always receiving fish photos for my catfish site.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

The solution is to stop the spam before it reaches your server. Most of the companies I support either have an "appliance" that filters out the spam and virus' or have their MX records pointing to a service that cleans the mail before it is sent to their server. Expect it to get worse in the near future, with the holiday's coming up most of the SPAM services out there are expecting massive increases in the volume of spam for the next two months.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine