RAQ4/SAMBA installation - any way to reset?

Hi,

I recently inherited a Cobalt RAQ4 server, which I am planning to use as part of a home network. I checked it all out and everything seemed to be working fine. I could log in via SSH and through the web interface, and it served web pages, etc. In short, everything seemed to work as expected.

I then activated SAMBA so I would be able to manipulate files more easily, which I did using the following command:
    ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91smb
    (as described at sunsolve.sun.com/search/document.do?assetkey=1-9-8312-1)

However, I rebooted without making any other changes, and now my system is in a bit of a state. It seems to boot OK, and everything is accessible via the web interface, but any attempt to SSH into the server fails. After a while, the web interface also fails and becomes unavailable - the only way round being to reboot.

I suspect the problem is that I enabled Samba without configuring it properly, and that this is causing problems, but I cannot login to configure or disable it.

How can I regain my SSH access, and roll back the SAMBA install?

Regrettably, there is no UI interface to Samba, and it sounds as though you have a runaway condition. Offhand, the only thing I can think of is to enable telnet into the server from the web interface and try that. If neither telnet nor ssh works, you can try using a serial (null modem) cable to log in through the serial port, which should work (at least if you do it right after boot). Once you get logged in, immediately type /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop

If none of those work, you'll probably need to reinstall, I'm afraid.

My money's on connecting via the serial console. The only way you won't be able to log in with that is if you have a hardware or kernel problem.

I recently inherited a Cobalt RAQ4 server

I recently inherited a Cobalt RAQ4 server
    You didn't say yo did any restore or clean up on it... Sounds to me like you need to do the restore process with one of my iso's from http://www.cobaltiso.com/ and then do the Turbo updates http://www.zeffie.com/RaQ4-Turbo-Updates.html and those will give you an updated samba and the samba swat gui that allows you to configure samba.

btw... linking is incorrect...
    chkconfig --level 3 smb on
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

gnetwerker: I already had telnet access, which is how I enabled Samba in the first place. This stopped working since I enabled it, which is why I am unable to login and simply stop the service or modify the config.

fuxxy: You're probably right.

zeffie: That is an amazingly useful piece of information. I will need to get hold of a few bits of hardware to make use of it, but it looks like that's the best solution. There is nothing on the box that I need, so I am happy to reset it in this manner. Thank you!

I will try and pop back to let you know how I get on, but I probably won't get a chance to try the fix for a while.