Recommendation Request

Hi, everyone!

My site keeps going down, only for 30 mins or less but it's almost daily now. The customer support I receive is very friendly and patient, but the downtime is driving people away... I need recommendations...

Okay, here's what I require:
    Space: 700+ MB
    Bandwidth: 10+ GB
    Subdomains: 20+
    MySQL DBs: 20+
    Add-on Domains: 1+
    Support:
    - PHP 4.4.x (Not 5.x, please)
    - MySQL 4+
    - Webmail (5+ email addresses, mailing lists not needed)
    - Supports phpBB, etc.

Budget: $7.99 or less per month

Uptime: 99.9% or close to it!

Edit: Thank you!

Rebecca,

Your budget and requirements seem to be reasonable.
    Any number of providers should be able to offer you what you require: Just be sure to thoroughly test their support ahead of time.

Support quality will tie in with their uptime fairly closely: Although sometimes things outside their control do happen (e.g. upstream network issues).

May I ask what host you currently use?

Note: My only recommendation would be for hostrocket, a shared host I used in the not so distant past!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Do you have any preference in control panels or OS?
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Oh, my webhost is a friend of mine. I don't want to give him a bad review. I hope you won't think me stubborn...

How do I test the support without buying a package right away? Any ideas? I'm grateful for your help.

My sites are the-floo.net and muggles-anonymous.org

They're both on the same server, so it's doubly annoying when said server goes down. I don't want to lose visitors...

Thanks again!

I prefer cPanel 10 or higher, but I'm not picky. I do, however, require Linux hosting.

Rebecca,

Not providing his name is quite fine
    With that said testing support ahead of time is best done with a few phone calls at offrandom times, fire them an e-mail when you first wake up, before you go to bed, etc.

Try to catch them offguard and see if they have any hours at which they don't respond well: While it may not be a sign of bad things if they do guarantee 24/7 support and only seem to be there a few hours of the day it might be best to knock them off your list.

Make a list of about 10 different hosts that meet your budget/other requirements.
    Start testing them all until you settle with one that you're satisfied with: It doesn't guarantee everything will go well but it's at least building your site on some semblance of a foundation rather than just picking another host at random.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

What do you know about HostingFroggy.com? I got a nice IM from them, but I want to first check with someone objective on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Ripple
    What do you know about HostingFroggy.com? I got a nice IM from them, but I want to first check with someone objective on the subject.
    Well, I do know that soliciting people private messages here is against the rules.
    I'd recommend using the 'support' link in the upper right hand corner to turn them in!
    David

Nonononono! Don't put them in trouble! I meant AIM...

Edit: I'm sorry to be rude and yelling... I just don't want to get people in trouble for stuff they didn't do.
    Last edited by Rebecca Ripple; 11-13-2006 at 06:45 PM.

What do you know about HostingFroggy.com?
    errmm, never heard of them

I would suggest sending the support and sales team a few tickets and see how the response times are, etc.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Hi, everyone!

My site keeps going down, only for 30 mins or less but it's almost daily now. The customer support I receive is very friendly and patient, but the downtime is driving people away... I need recommendations...

Okay, here's what I require:
    Space: 700+ MB
    Bandwidth: 10+ GB
    Subdomains: 20+
    MySQL DBs: 20+
    Add-on Domains: 1+
    Support:
    - PHP 4.4.x (Not 5.x, please)
    - MySQL 4+
    - Webmail (5+ email addresses, mailing lists not needed)
    - Supports phpBB, etc.

Budget: $7.99 or less per month

Uptime: 99.9% or close to it!

Edit: Thank you!
    Rebecca,

if you elevate your budget 5$, you will find a new world of peformance.(apparently compared to what you are used to.)

Kind Regards,

Thank you for our suggestion, but my parents would go ballistic if I had a charge like that every month. LOL

I appreciate it, though!

hmmm, but you would more than likely go ballistic if the service was not what you expected, right? I think you should explain to your rents, and I am sure they will see quality in the big picture and at the end of the day you will have a reliable provider, that you can be proud of!

Um... *getting uncomfortable* ...No, thank you...

I think only way to truly test the support is to sign up and then go through some troubles ....
    Because pre-sales questions are often handled differently and nicely by many hosts, for apparent reason of getting you.

It's exactly like flirting.
    People can be nice to get into relation, and once done, some of them will become horrible.

And when bad bad things happen to you and the partner (host), you will know if they are trustworthy or not.
    Unfortuantely, some people are so lucky that they won't experience bad things, and thus won't know if the host is truly good or not.

Other than that, many suggestions and advices in WHT and other forums come from people trying to promote their own products.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    But they generally try to influence your decision as much as possible, of course in favor of their own packages.

Some will even recommend review sites that happen to include his own company.
    It's an indirect self-promotion and maybe it's allowed, maybe not, in WHT.

Just like finding a friend, I would say you should use your intution.
    Also, don't be too afraid of trying out hosts with money back guarantee.
    However, if you do so, read all fine prints and understand what you are getting into.

If you find a host with SSH, you don't need MySQL backup in control panel.
    Even without SSH, you can do that with a simple script.

If you didn't want to give away the name of your friend, you shouldn't have shown the names of your sites, as we can check who is hosting your site by simple utility/tools.
    You may want to ask Moderators to delete that part, if you care.

Good luck in your search.

The only way to truly test support is after you have signed up, sure you can send emails and call them in before signing up but you won't know how the support will be as a customer. If the web host offers a money back guarantee, or a free trial, go with them and try them out. If you're unhappy, get your money back

But be sure to do some research on them before signing up, find reviews here on WHT.

I would recommend searching on www.hostsearch.com or www.findmyhosting.com

I agree with that. It certainly is sad that web hosting providers have to sugar coat their business model to obtain customers, but that looks like that the industry has become. That's why I say it is always good to go with a provider that offers a money back guarantee. This way you are not out any money.

Quote Originally Posted by extras
    I think only way to truly test the support is to sign up and then go through some troubles ....
    Because pre-sales questions are often handled differently and nicely by many hosts, for apparent reason of getting you.

It's exactly like flirting.
    People can be nice to get into relation, and once done, some of them will become horrible.

And when bad bad things happen to you and the partner (host), you will know if they are trustworthy or not.
    Unfortuantely, some people are so lucky that they won't experience bad things, and thus won't know if the host is truly good or not.

Other than that, many suggestions and advices in WHT and other forums come from people trying to promote their own products.
    Nothing wrong with that.
    But they generally try to influence your decision as much as possible, of course in favor of their own packages.

Some will even recommend review sites that happen to include his own company.
    It's an indirect self-promotion and maybe it's allowed, maybe not, in WHT.

Also, don't be too afraid of trying out hosts with money back guarantee.
    However, if you do so, read all fine prints and understand what you are getting into.

If you find a host with SSH, you don't need MySQL backup in control panel.
    Even without SSH, you can do that with a simple script.

If you didn't want to give away the name of your friend, you shouldn't have shown the names of your sites, as we can check who is hosting your site by simple utility/tools.
    You may want to ask Moderators to delete that part, if you care.

Good luck in your search.
    Ohh, goodness, thank you! It's wonderful to hear such an honest, full answer!

I'm not used to vBulletin, as it's far too expensive for most sites I've joined, but I'll try to figure out whhere that edit button is on the post with my sites' URLs. If I can't find it, I'll "Owl" ("PM" for Harry Potter fans) a moderator to do it instead.

Thanks also for your good luck wish, I'll need all the luck I can get! LOL

I will try to find a free trial / money back guarantee plan. I appreciate your advice!

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by extras

I doubt anyone going out for shopping (ofcourse you cannot shop for friends, girlfriends and love) uses the so called "intution" , its business not a pickup bar, you buy what you see looks nice and is priced right there is no "Intution" involved in that. Webhosting is no different, its like picking up one package from one host wheras other hosts offer same package.

But one advise look for sites that actually show public uptime reports (monitored from 3rd party sites) for their servers, gives you a better outlook on that host.

Cheers

Ohh, goodness, thank you! It's wonderful to hear such an honest, full answer!

I'm not used to vBulletin, as it's far too expensive for most sites I've joined, but I'll try to figure out whhere that edit button is on the post with my sites' URLs. If I can't find it, I'll "Owl" ("PM" for Harry Potter fans) a moderator to do it instead.
    It appears right next to "quote" button, after posting.
    But you can edit only certain period (15 minutes?) after posting.
    So, you should ask one of mod.

Thanks also for your good luck wish, I'll need all the luck I can get! LOL

I will try to find a free trial / money back guarantee plan. I appreciate your advice!

Rebecca
    I would suggest a host with at least address, phone number.
    A host without these can be really small one.
    It's not necessarily bad, but you are giving away all your personal info, so I think it's fair to expect the same from the host.

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    I doubt anyone going out for shopping (ofcourse you cannot shop for friends, girlfriends and love) uses the so called "intution" , its business not a pickup bar, you buy what you see looks nice and is priced right there is no "Intution" involved in that. Webhosting is no different, its like picking up one package from one host wheras other hosts offer same package.

But one advise look for sites that actually show public uptime reports (monitored from 3rd party sites) for their servers, gives you a better outlook on that host.

Cheers
    Actually, I do nothing without using intuition.
    I am rather logical person, though.

If you hate to call it an intuition, you may call it as some form of preferences.
    As you are following your inner pure form of preferences, you are basically doing/choosing what you like.
    Thus, it's natural to be happier with it, or more ready to assume the full consequences of it, even it turns out to be less pleasant, somehow.

This way, if you happen to consider the choise as a mistake, you can easily admit the fact that you made a mistake and that allows you to learn and possibly avoid making the same mistake, over and over, hopefully.