hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : 50 GB storage, 250 GB bandwidth, $7.95/month. Say WHAT??

Forum Jump

50 GB storage, 250 GB bandwidth, $7.95/month. Say WHAT??

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Web Hosting Master

50 GB storage, 250 GB bandwidth, $7.95/month. Say WHAT??

I was just doing some "random research" on the net to see what hosts are offering these days, and I came across this from a fairly large and well-known provider. 250 GB of bandwidth and 50 GB of storage space for $7.95/month.

Now I don't profess to be an expert, but I know my way around a server. I also know how much it costs to lease servers and how much bandwidth and storage space you get with them.

So how can a company sell plans like these, and still be profitable going forward? I mean, sure you can require 1 or 2 years payment to get that large plan, and that will bring cash in the door.... but eventually, assuming you plan on retaining the new customers you get, you'll have to pony up and provide the bandwidth and storage you've sold!

It seems to me that a model like this is based on an endless supply of NEW customers, as well as a constant migration of old customers leaving because they aren't ging to get what they bought. Am I right?

Is overselling getting out of hand?

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Rob.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
250 GB of bandwidth and 50 GB of storage space for $7.95/month.
You'll see even more for less.

Quote:
Am I missing something?
Not really. The times are changing, and many hosts go with the flow. Other try to resist as best they can.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

What ldcdc said, there a definitely worse, like 200GB Space with 3TB Bandwidth for $20 or so a month...

You just don't use them, but they are very attractive to consumers new to the market.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Everything in life is swelly

The good thing is that, the industry is SLOWLY moving toward what is offered IN the package and not so much focusing on space and bandwidth. Consumers are more concerned about SEO tools, marketing, sitebuilders, etc.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostFrog
The good thing is that, the industry is SLOWLY moving toward what is offered IN the package and not so much focusing on space and bandwidth. Consumers are more concerned about SEO tools, marketing, sitebuilders, etc.
I will have to disagree here, consumers are afraid that it won't be enough. More has ALWAYS been better, its just basic psychology!

Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Web Hosting Master

It seems the companies do manage to lure customers this way - unfortunately.

Of course, they count on the fact that most people won't ever need anything near those figures; they simply get impressed by the numbers...

Old 11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
The Geek is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostFrog
Most users always try to get the most for their money. The bigger the package, the more chances of user signing up.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:26 PM
Web Hosting Master

It's not the large amounts of space and bandwidth that's offered by certain hosting companies that's the biggest problem (by large) it's the CPU / serverload your allowed that gets you suspended.

Still hosting companies offering unrealistic amounts like that appears to attract a certain kind of client.

► cPanel/WHM, 24/7 Support, Softaculous, LiteSpeed.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

So we're basically approaching infinity here when it comes to storage space and bandwidth. It seems to me it's just bad marketing. Offer more for less, even if you can't conceivably provide it.

It's also a creative way around offering "unlimited space" and "unlimited bandwidth" which was pooh-poohed not long ago..... but really, isn't that what they might as well be offering?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:28 PM

Hmm, actually I haven't personally used this kind of hosting, but I know 2 friends of mine who does. One of them used servage and the other DH.. And guess what, their site actually DO use at the very least, half of what the hosting company offered.. that's like >100GB space and >1TB bandwidth and they've been using this much for at least 2-3 months as far as I know..

They use the server to store files with various sizes (few KBs - hundreds of MBs from a BIG forum) and the download speed is pretty decent too (servage being the faster side here).. I don't know about the support but based on that alone, I think that's a pretty damn good deal..

Old 11-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Chilling in Pen Island

I use a hosting like this.

200GB and 2TB of bandwith.

I use around 5 GIG of space and 5 GIGs of bandwith.
Why I went with this host?
It was only $10 for the first year ^_^

Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 PM
Texas Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowolf

It's also a creative way around offering "unlimited space" and "unlimited bandwidth" which was pooh-poohed not long ago..... but really, isn't that what they might as well be offering?

Ditto. Ive made this same point more than once and of course still believe it.

You know it would be different IF it was needed in order to host average websites but its NOT.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Community Liaison

unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth eh? I'm beginning to think all these threads regarding excessively ridiculous space/bandwidth for dirt cheap pricing are becoming "unlimited" as well.

Speaking of which:
Quote:
50 GB storage, 250 GB bandwidth, $7.95/month
Guys guess that means we can all go ditch our servers and get their hosting in replace it.... (don't think they'd be too happy with the resource usage though).

Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

Old 11-13-2006, 06:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martint
I use a hosting like this.

200GB and 2TB of bandwith.

I use around 5 GIG of space and 5 GIGs of bandwith.
Why I went with this host?
It was only $10 for the first year ^_^
That's the point. Your using about the right amount of low space and bandwidth for the $10 but, use 100GiB and 1TB of bandwidth and see if they consider you a viable customer for the $10 ...

► cPanel/WHM, 24/7 Support, Softaculous, LiteSpeed.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoderZ
That's the point. Your using about the right amount of low space and bandwidth for the $10 but, use 100GiB and 1TB of bandwidth and see if they consider you a viable customer for the $10 ...
Actually if you read my post above, some hosts actually DO give what they offers in term of space and bandwidth.. Provided that you don't use the CPU too much..

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
DreamHost Reworks Cloud Storage Package Features, Pricing Web Hosting News 2013-10-22 16:30:38
Nasuni Launches Cloud Mirroring Feature to Storage Solution Web Hosting News 2013-08-08 14:15:27
Rackspace Hosting Drops Price of Cloud Bandwidth and CDN by 33 Percent Web Hosting News 2013-02-22 16:38:18
Liquid Web Reduces Bandwidth Pricing, Eliminates Inbound Transfer Fees Web Hosting News 2013-01-30 16:15:11
CenturyLink Reduces Bandwidth Costs with Nirvanix Cloud Storage Web Hosting News 2012-07-25 17:22:15