Is there a 500GB backup service available ?

Is there a backup service provider available who can do the following

1) I ship a brand new 500GB HDD to the provider. The provider installs it in a dedicated server and gives me access to the machine.

2) I then copy about 500GB of data from another server to this machine, i.e to my HDD.

3) Then I Ask the backup provider to ship the HDD back to me .

If so can you please send me PMs or point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

chris
    Chris, Developer/Programmer,
    Php laravel developers,
    Ruby on Rails developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Chris,

You would probably be best off contacting providers directly and asking if they would be willing to offer the service. That isn't exactly something I've seen offered all too frequently: So it's better to ask!

Some that may not have it listed on their site as a service might be willing to do it.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

errmmm, never heard of a request like that. I wouldn't even know where to start besides google? Maybe you can google the term "web backup provider" and hopefully come up with something.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I'm a little unclear on one bit - would you need the hard drive back right away, or only in case of failure on your end?

Regardless, I am sure you'll find someone willing to do this, though not in a preconfigured package. You'll have to ask around, and find someone to do it for you. I've never heard of any host offering this.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress Joomla OpenCart Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

Thanks for the replies. I have emailed many providers about this but thought could ask in this forum too.

I would need this kind of backup done ..say once every 2 months or so.
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    I'm a little unclear on one bit - would you need the hard drive back right away, or only in case of failure on your end?
    I would need it right away once I have copied the 500Gb of data from my other server and I will send another 500GB HDD in about a month or so for the next backup and so on.
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Sounds rather inefficient to me. Why not just make the backups yourself (NAS) and send them off to a storage facility?

I have to admit, it is indeed a unusual request. If you are doing this often, mayve it would be an idea getting a cheap rubish server to colo and then get the data center to post you the spair hard drive when you need it.
    Thanks,
    SmartWaveTech Team
    http://www.smartwavetech.com

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalWebDan
    Sounds rather inefficient to me. Why not just make the backups yourself (NAS) and send them off to a storage facility?
    The dedicated server provider with whom Im subscribed at present has a policy of NOT shipping out HDDs. Since otherwise the provider is great in terms of reliability and performance I do not want to switch providers based on this only criteria. Hence Im looking for another provider who can provide just this backup service.
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

To be more clearer, I have broken down the points involved

1) a one time 500GB data transfer cost.
    2) INstallation cost of the 500GB HDD which I will be sending it to you.
    3) a server usage cost for 3 days maximum. (during which I can do the backup myself)
    4) a de-installation(removal) cost of the 500GB HDD from the server.
    5) Shipping charges for the 500Gb HDD to an address in USA.
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

I am not sure if there is any service like that, have you tried searching on google?

Yes google has always been my friend and it will be in the future too.

But it has not returned any useful results so far.
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Have you considered doing off-site backups, shipping a hard drive every 2 months seems like a lot of hassle.

Take a look at bqbackups.com

Why not you guys just ask him how much he's willing to pay for this service and see if any of you would be tempted? Don't have to stick to your good o' business model sometime, think out of the box! You might be creating a new business industry for this kind of service. Hehe, no offence to anyone, just sounds logically to me.
    Last edited by anlene; 11-14-2006 at 02:18 AM.

Ultimately the 500GB drive will be shipped to India.

So even though doing remote backups to a local computer may be feasible/economical if you reside in the USA, doing the same to a local computer located in India will incur a huge cost because of the local access charges.
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrisranjana
    Ultimately the 500GB drive will be shipped to India.

So even though doing remote backups to a local computer may be feasible/economical if you reside in the USA, doing the same to a local computer located in India will incur a huge cost because of the local access charges.
    Interesting but your yahoo is not online got some suggestions too and possible maybe solution.

Quote Originally Posted by anlene
    Why not you guys just ask him how much he's willing to pay for this service and see if any of you would be tempted? Don't have to stick to your good o' business model sometime, think out of the box! You might be creating a new business industry for this kind of service. Hehe, no offence to anyone, just sounds logically to me.
    I think the best 'why not' I can give you is that that is against WHT rules. Seems you would know that, considering your longevity here.