View Poll Results: How much would you be willing to invest per month into adds ?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5$

0 0%
  • 10$

0 0%
  • 15$

0 0%
  • 25$

0 0%
  • 50$

0 0%
  • 75$

3 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Post Discussion: Best advertisement strategy on the Planet

Hello fellow WHT users,

I am currently thinking about how to advertise a little showcase called "Tulip" for a very close friend.

"Tulip" has a little flower arrangement school (roughly 150 students) and is every now and then also delivering flowers, doing weddings etc.

To increase the branding and raise more income ;-) (s)he decides to start advertizing online.

Which strategy do you suggest and which budget you suggest should my friend "Tulip" invest per month ?

You are free to suggest anything you feel is appropriate f.e.

- Textlinks
    - Banners
    - Mailing Lists
    - Google add words
    - Actively participating and posting at forums
    - Linking from related homepage

I am looking for a lively discusssion. I will probably provide more details as the need arises during the discusssion.

Perhaps, if response is big we can make this a sticky later or use it to make a little How-to ? for others - just a thought.

PS: Admins, I was not 100% sure if this belongs into the advertisement section. Please
    move it into the appropriate section.

Best regards
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 11-13-2006 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Icon update
    __--- Nils Valentin ---
    ☆★☆ Speedtest One: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback
    ☆★☆ Speedtest Two: Tokyo / Japan ☆★☆ / Feedback

My recommendation would be for links, forums and google ad words.
    Text links and banners are great for building brand recognition and pagerank but on a smaller scale aren't as effective as the other 3 listed.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused ó For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

I might be a bit biased, but I would invest your money into an organic SEO strategy with a professional SEO consultant & or SEO firm.

I actually have a first hand experience optimizing a site for a flower design school and the results are actually quite nice for our customer in this field.
    Freelance SEO Consultant - Been there, done that. Will do it again!

Moved to Web Design and Content.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.

Mods, thank you for moving this into the appropriate section.
    __--- Nils Valentin ---

Will you need a brand recognition if you're among Google top 10? I'd recommend to concentrate on SEO, both offsite and onsite. Here linking from related homepages, fresh and unique content, proper keyword density, different pages optimized for different keywords. The second step when you site is optimized might be active participation on forums, but unlike the first suggestion, it may be really a long-lasting process and you shouldn't wait for the immediate results.

If I were going to invest in anything, I would limit my online investment to a Web site, and then concentrate on traditional advertising. Are students registering from diverse and remote locations? Is (s)he delivering flowers across the country or a large region that can only be properly canvassed using the Internet?

If not (and I suspect not), radio/TV/newspaper/regional magazine advertising is going to get a lot more traffic than concentrating efforts and money online. SEO would be a reasonable investment, since it would help drive the local market to his/her site, and maybe adwords wouldn't hurt, if you localize your results, but by the sounds of things, a major online push is most likely going to net the smallest return for the time and money invested.

Get a good site made. It's important that people be able to experience your business anytime from anywhere. Put a little effort into getting high rankings for searches by geography (it's the easiest SEO to do too), and then concentrate largely on traditional media. This is where a few more advertising dollars will result in a greater return.

Add a '0' to the end of all your price points above, and then pretend I selected the $750 option. That's much more reasonable for an effective advertising campaign
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

the_pm thanks for the replies.

I do appreciate the time you took to make the suggestions, but I do believe that at some points you went a bit over the top. I explain a bit below with details that I probably should have given at the beginning.

The school has 150 students which come roughly once or twice / week after work and study to improve their skills from amateur to professional level.
    Topics include fresh and cut flowers, dry and preserved flowers, aroma therapy, weddings and other occasions, children day classes etc.

There is only one class at a time with 6-10 students.

So you can see its a small school.

Customers are coming 97% regional (within 20km), but some do come by train 2-3 hours (one way) from outside of Tokyo.

Advertizing in a flower magazine will cost something between $200-$300 and gets straight to the target group, so I am sorry but I found 750$/month WAY over the budget. Please try to stay at least close to what the poll suggests as option.

I guess radio and TV spots is also not yet worth considering, however I do understand that a good homepage is important.

What type of information would you put on a flower arrangement schools homepage ?

- Class schedule ?
    - Diary ?
    - Reports ?
    - Awards ?
    - Contests ?
    - Photo Gallery ?
    - Online shop ?
    - Events ?
    - local maps
    - contact info

Anything I forgot ?
    Last edited by valentin_nils; 11-13-2006 at 09:27 PM. Reason: removing misspell
    __--- Nils Valentin ---

Advertizing in a flower magazine will cost something between $200-$300 and gets straight to the target group, so I am sorry but I found 750$/month WAY over the budget. Please try to stay at least close to what the poll suggests as option.
    Sorry, but even if all you're alloting to traditional advertising is enough money for one ad in one magazine at $200-300, you're going to pay good money for a respectable SEO firm to do its job ($200-500/mo. is a pretty common figure, if not low), pump a small piece of change into your adwords, and then the cost for a site's maintenance and hosting on a monthly basis, not even counting the initial cost for development? I feel pretty good about my $750+ figure. I'm not hurting your poll by suggesting what I think is a more reasonable advertising budget for a business that's intent on respectable growth, am I?

I guess radio and TV spots is also not yet worth considering
    I wouldn't eliminate these as possibilities. I can't speak for the market around Tokyo, but around where I live (N.E. Ohio), radio has probably the best rate of return of any B2C marketing vehicle around. It also tends to be fairly expensive (typically, you won't be able to mount an effective radio campaign for less than $700-1000/mo. around here as a baseline - and this is one of the cheapest markets in the U.S.), but it's worth researching in her area, given the potential business that could come of it. It goes without saying every single possible advertising channel utilized should mention her Web site URL and phone number prominently!

As for her Web site, your list looks pretty darned good. I might add something interesting and potentially viral to the list - an online bouquet arrangement application that allows you to create your own bouquet and send it to a friend's email address with a message for free, or actually order and send it to someone through the site for the appropriate price. Something like this could generate revenue, spread around between people (with the right marketing messages attached to it), bring repeat visitors and spark interest in people learinng how to arrange flowers. You could even set it up so someone logs in and for every virtual bouquet they send, they receive a small credit toward a purchase, perhaps 1% off for every bouquet, up to a maximum of 50%, which can be redeemed by sending flowers or as part of a payment for taking a class.

A little creativity and some technical knowhow could yield pretty nice rewards for her
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

The _PM,

thank you for your valuable ideas. I completely forgot about the thread (been busy with other stuff ;-), but it paid to come back ;-). I will value all feedback I got so far and post a review update in a couple of months

Best regards
    __--- Nils Valentin ---

By far, the best way to advertise is by word of mouth. If you provide a good service that people like, they will tell their friends about it, and then their friends will sign up. That's why referal programs are so important.