Xilo hosting. bad service.

Iím posting this so others my beware of Xilo Hosting in the UK

3 years ago i stared hosting with Xilo, they were cheap and use a standard cpanel set up, although a little slow, they were always nice to a hosting newbie. however...

3 months ago i had a busy ecommerce site with some DB path errors that were causing problems with their server. they told me they couldn't tell me what the path errors were because they had lots of site on that box. so i asked to upgrade my account to a dedicated server. i asked 3 times to spend an extra $200 a month with them. but no reply. problems continued with my site. then they pulled the site and blocked my ftp access.

during this time, there phone support had been turned off for weeks (and still is), the "emergency 24 hour engineer support" was also non existent. no reply to sales, support or billing emails or tickets. 2 days passed, my site loosing around $1500 a day. i found their address from the whois, and drove there to demand access to my site - to find no one there.

i finally got ftp access on a Saturday evening, moved the site to a new host, who within 2 minutes sent me the list of path errors. within 5 mins the site was fixed.

Iíd maybe forgive them if my problems stopped there. but, sadly now Iím trying to move all my domains and sites from them Iím having even more problems. Iíve been waiting nearly a month for auth codes to move some .coms. and i now wait on average 3 days for a reply to a support email. when i mentioned this on the Xilo forum they took the forum down.

Xilo hosting. cheap. rubbish. seemingly run as a hobby!

I'm very sorry to read about your bad experience with this hosting. I hope you to find the better one and you're satisfied with it.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

when i mentioned this on the Xilo forum they took the forum down.
    I do not think they took down the forums to stop you from posting, it says they are updating vbulletin which sounds reasonable enough.

my site loosing around $1500 a day.
    Maybe you should look into premium managed dedicated server from a company such as Rackspace.com

i cut and pasted a list of 12 unanswered tickets from my support area into thier forum. it listed when i had raised the ticket and if it had been replied to. the oldest being 18 days old, marked unreplied. my ticket names were things like. support problems, please contact me, domain problems, please contact me, or turn your phone system on. etc. etc. i noticed other posts from customers who were complaing about support emails. there forum was working well...

they are very nice guys at xilo. and when they help they are helpful. but i get the impression it's just a guy running it from his bedroom.

am now with host gator, 24 hour instant message + phone support for the same price. joy.
    Last edited by mydo; 11-13-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Never never depend on a budget web host for a website which you depend heavily upon especially one which is making $45,000 a month for you. Look for a managed dedicated server like Rackspace. I would say a budget of 10 to 20% of your monthly income on hosting should be reasonable.

With that said, I have an account with Xilo.net and I am pleasantly satisfied with my experience there. Of course, my needs are pretty much fitting for what they provide and it was not something all that urgent.

Incidentally, Xilo does not use Cpanel but rather HSphere for their Virtual Hosting Plans.

Sorry to hear about your experience with them. Matt has been very helpful to me when I needed assistance and went out all his way to help me. Not sure why he did not treat you the same way.

Their Forum seems to be down due to a vbulletin bug so probably that explains why you have no access to it. I doubt this is anything personal but merely coincidental.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Ali couldn't of said it better,

my site loosing around $1500 a day
    If your site is in fact losing $1500 a day then right now you should be kicking yourself for not having upgraded it to your own server be it unmanaged with you handling the server aspects or getting a fully managed server with somewhere reputable.

Never leave a site that is critcal on a budget hosting environment. That or you should of kept a backup site ready to go so you could just change IPs and use an external DNS service.
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

In all honesty, the OP did ask to be moved to a dedicated server, so it's not like he's one of those who try to stick to shared hosting indefinitely:

so i asked to upgrade my account to a dedicated server. i asked 3 times to spend an extra $200 a month with them. but no reply. problems continued with my site. then they pulled the site and blocked my ftp access.

Hi there,

I am aware of the issues that surround the problems you have posted about.

3 months ago i had a busy ecommerce site with some DB path errors that were causing problems with their server. they told me they couldn't tell me what the path errors were because they had lots of site on that box. so i asked to upgrade my account to a dedicated server. i asked 3 times to spend an extra $200 a month with them. but no reply. problems continued with my site. then they pulled the site and blocked my ftp access.
    Having a number of sites on a box should not have stopped us from being able to find the problem. However, as far as I can recall - the reason that we were not able to help further was that we could not locate any errors on any of our logs.

during this time, there phone support had been turned off for weeks (and still is), the "emergency 24 hour engineer support" was also non existent. no reply to sales, support or billing emails or tickets. 2 days passed, my site loosing around $1500 a day. i found their address from the whois, and drove there to demand access to my site - to find no one there.
    At the time we were having some issues with our telephone system which is based in London and connected via VoIP. I can only apologise for this and the problems that you had getting through to us. However, the phone system is currently working correctly and has not been turned off for weeks as your post indicates.

The address on our WHOIS at the time was a PO BOX, which is not a psyhical address and as far as I am aware the address that was visited was where payments are sent and not our actual office.

I’d maybe forgive them if my problems stopped there. but, sadly now I’m trying to move all my domains and sites from them I’m having even more problems. I’ve been waiting nearly a month for auth codes to move some .coms. and i now wait on average 3 days for a reply to a support email. when i mentioned this on the Xilo forum they took the forum down.
    As I have personally advised, we are not trying to delay your move any further, however, our interface with eNom is not displaying your EPP codes for the domains and I have not heard anything back from them on the ticket I have raised for this. I will chase them again today for you.

We have been working on our forum recently to bring it inline with our client area, my.xilo.net so that all applications on our site (billing, support and forum) have one unified login. I can assure you that the forum 'going down' would be pure coincidence.

I'm sorry that you have had problems that we were unable to work out and I wish you all the best with HostGator and for the future.

Matt
    XILO Communications Ltd.
    t: 0800 848 8468 (UK)
    e: sales [at] xilo.net

I have posted here because I have an issue with Xilo Web Hosting.

I sent a support ticket to Xilo Web Hosting yesterday at around 15:40 pm GMT asking for help and advice on how to update my nameservers and 24 hours later I still had no response. Only when I posted the problem on their support forum did I receive an almost instant reply on the forum from Matt who advised me that I should update my nameservers on Xilo Web Hosting. The thread entitled "Support Tickets not answered" was then deleted !

I have recently opened an account with Xilo Web Hosting and I have a couple of teething problems which Matt will hopefully help me with, meanwhile my site is unusable. I have screen captured all of my communication with XILO Web Hosting and I will call back on Xmas day to let you know wether or not Xilo Web Hosting failed on their self acclaimed 24/7 quality service.

I have made it quite clear to Matt that I am not up to speed with assigning nameservers and this is the area I am most in need of help. Once the nameservers are resolved I am sure my account will run smoothly as my hosting requirements are fairly modest. That said, I still have customers waiting for their web sites to be published, the complaints don't stop just because it's Christmas !

On the flip side, I will of course post here if Xilo Web Hosting deliver the goods, that is only fair.

As this is a duplicated post - will also reply here.

Quote Originally Posted by trevsco
    I sent a support ticket to Xilo Web Hosting yesterday at around 15:40 pm GMT asking for help and advice on how to update my nameservers and 24 hours later I still had no response. Only when I posted the problem on their support forum did I receive an almost instant reply on the forum from Matt who advised me that I should update my nameservers on Xilo Web Hosting. The thread entitled "Support Tickets not answered" was then deleted !
    Hi Trevor,

I have just checked our forums to ensure that the thread was not deleted. It is in our reseller forum (of which you are a member of).

The question was related to your reseller account and as such was moved to the correct forum. If you want to check out http://forum.xilo.net/reseller-chat/ , you will see your reply still there - fully intact.

I have also confirmed that your forum account has been reseller enabled and your post asking for such access was replied to. We do offer 24/7 service but this is not 24/7 via telephone.

If you need further help - please do update the ticket or forum post so that we can resolve the issue. (Currently your domain still has the nameservers pointing to your old host - if you would like us to update them for you, please let me know - however, full instructions are given in all welcome emails sent when your account is activated).

Also to add - our telephone lines are closed on Christmas day as per opening hours published for the holiday season on our official forums.

Regards

Matt
    XILO Communications Ltd.

Thought i'd write a quick update of how service is going...
    After i posted on this forum, matt was brilliant, replied to my emails personally and quickly, was very understanding. He apologized and wished me the best with my new host.

however... i then wrote email AND raised a ticket to billing to say i would like to cancel my account (as matt suggested I do). i didn't get a reply.

i now get weekly emails saying my invoice is overdue, and i consider my self very lucky that my credit card expired shortly before leaving xilo, as i also get emails saying "We have just attempted to process payment for invoice xxxxx(£45), however, the transaction has not been authorized by your card provider. "

Had my card not expired this would obviously have been an unforgivable mistake for xilo.

Quote Originally Posted by mydo View Post

i now get weekly emails saying my invoice is overdue, and i consider my self very lucky that my credit card expired shortly before leaving xilo, as i also get emails saying "We have just attempted to process payment for invoice xxxxx(£45), however, the transaction has not been authorized by your card provider. "

Had my card not expired this would obviously have been an unforgivable mistake for xilo.

Hi,

the same here... The 1st email to billing took 4 hours... almost 24 hours after my reply not a single word from them, and they are going to keep me as a customer without a choice.

Any advise from anyone??

Ran

Ran,

I'm slightly confused. I believe I have your ticket in front of me. You spoke with us via live chat today, twice.

You raised a ticket last night, which you then closed yourself at 9am this morning, you then raised another ticket after this at around 11am.

The only reason you did not get a reply to the first one is that you closed it yourself - so accounts would have not even seen that when they got in this morning.

As advised on chat, accounts deal with tickets in the order received. So they will reply soon but to state that you've not had a reply for 24 hours is not truthful considering the above.

Matt
    XILO Communications Ltd.

"As advised on chat, accounts deal with tickets in the order received. So they will reply soon but to state that you've not had a reply for 24 hours is not truthful considering the above."

That is correct XN-Matt, apologise for that, not 24 hours yet, my comment wasn't fair.

Please, accept my apologises. A rough day and really stressed out which produced that unfair negative point.

Sorry about that

Ran

Ran,

Just to reiterate what you were advised on chat. They do have your ticket (and it has been re-opened), so you'll get a reply shortly.

Matt
    XILO Communications Ltd.

Yes,

and this morning I messed up the tickets creating part of the situation.

Sorry about it,and as I said before, a difficult day and many pressures to get some things done. Sorry for troubling that much without reason.

Ran.

Ran,

It's not a problem, or trouble. I just wanted to clarify what you had posted!

Maybe it's time to have an early weekend

Matt
    XILO Communications Ltd.